Register now to remove this ad

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’ve never understood what this is supposed to mean.

I see the points about Hamilton. Just not sure why those would only appeal to the Red Sox…
    In short, the Sox need him more than what he could potentially return in a trade (in my opinion).
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    In short, the Sox need him more than what he could potentially return in a trade (in my opinion).
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification. And I would agree with it as well…

In theory, Hamilton plus Meidroth would bring back a better SS than what each of those two alone are worth.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    The Yankees are 2-8 in their last ten games, and if they look in their rearview mirror the Red Sox are getting a lot closer with 4 games out in the loss column. Could be an interesting series coming up, and also the rest of July. No it’s not a sham, sham, sham like I heard it called all offseason. Buyers vs sellers, and the future is now. Anyone still think the Red Sox should be selling off some expiring contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    In theory, Hamilton plus Meidroth would bring back a better SS than what each of those two alone are worth.
    I am not trading Hamilton. And if we acquire anything at the major league level, I hope it is pitching

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I am not trading Hamilton. And if we acquire anything at the major league level, I hope it is pitching
    I don't think Hamilton is that good, but agree now is the wrong time to trade him. Also agree pitching is the key need. However, Breslow, a former MLB pitcher, appears to know little about acquiring or keeping good pitchers. Exit Sale, enter Giolito????!!!!!

Deity
    Cora asked why stop at just getting the 3rd wildcard spot, which the Red Sox now occupies. They are now 1 game back of that second wildcard spot, and only 4 games back of that 1st wildcard spot both in the loss column. There is only one way to go now, and that’s Full Throttle ahead.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    But then you just traded Hamilton and a good prospect for at most, an average SS.
    WAR is good for something.

But then you just traded Hamilton and a good prospect for at most, an average SS.
    Theres' so much that has to happen for that to work.

A lot of people view Hamilton as a utility infielder/speedbench bat, Medidroth is a middling prospect with minor league production but serious questions about having the ability to impact the baseball at the MLB level.

That's not worthless, but just think if you were getting those two guys in return what you'd be willing to give up?

Now, said team has to believe in the upside of those guys, and have an extra 40 man spot available to carry an extra guy who will have to be carried on a 40 man.

The odds of those stars aligning are slim.

Hypothetically Hamilton + Yorke gets you Tristan Casas. I would never make that trade.

Now, if we are talking about a rental, that's a different story, but I wonder if a prospect that offers the flexibility of not needing to be added to the 40 man this offseason as being more valuable to a team. POSSIBLY, again stars must always align.

For example. I think Hamilton/Romero might actually be more enticing, yes Romero isn't ranked as high but a team has the luxury of being able to keep him off the 40 man, develop him and see if he can become what comes along with a first round draft pick shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

BTV Accepts this trade.

Dansby Swanson +$20 million for Masataka Yoshida/Nick Yorke
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Brandon Walter/Juan Chicon for Paul DeJong also is an accepted deal.

Nick Sogard for Brandon Drury + $2 million cash

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The Yankees are 2-8 in their last ten games, and if they look in their rearview mirror the Red Sox are getting a lot closer with 4 games out in the loss column. Could be an interesting series coming up, and also the rest of July. No it’s not a sham, sham, sham like I heard it called all offseason. Buyers vs sellers, and the future is now. Anyone still think the Red Sox should be selling off some expiring contracts?
    Excuse me? Haven't you been discounting and raging against this Sox team the entire season?

Obviouslyl I'm focused on adding a RHH middle infielder. After that we almost definitely need some pitching, I know there's some talk of buying and selling at the same time, I'd rather trade Martin than Jansen, but I'd certianly look at add a starter.

If this team is playing in October, they could really use another starter.

Deity
    Theres' so much that has to happen for that to work.

A lot of people view Hamilton as a utility infielder/speedbench bat, Medidroth is a middling prospect with minor league production but serious questions about having the ability to impact the baseball at the MLB level.

That's not worthless, but just think if you were getting those two guys in return what you'd be willing to give up?

Now, said team has to believe in the upside of those guys, and have an extra 40 man spot available to carry an extra guy who will have to be carried on a 40 man.

The odds of those stars aligning are slim.

Hypothetically Hamilton + Yorke gets you Tristan Casas. I would never make that trade.

Now, if we are talking about a rental, that's a different story, but I wonder if a prospect that offers the flexibility of not needing to be added to the 40 man this offseason as being more valuable to a team. POSSIBLY, again stars must always align.

For example. I think Hamilton/Romero might actually be more enticing, yes Romero isn't ranked as high but a team has the luxury of being able to keep him off the 40 man, develop him and see if he can become what comes along with a first round draft pick shine.
    Need to keep Hamilton and absolutely not make a deal for another SS when we have Story--for whatever he might still be worth--due back next season and Mayer possibly headed to Boston this season.

Someone else said the above before I did. I'm just agreeing.

Deity
    Bad theory. Awful. Keep Hamilton. Keep Gonzalez as backup. Expect Story and Mayer to show up before this decade is out.