Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Eovaldi's 2018 salary was $2 million.
    “Bloated” for the Rays!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    If they trade bad Vlad at age 25 -- like some in the media are speculating -- it's gotta be a full rebuild.

Even if he looks like he'll morph into Prince (not a good) Fielder before he turns 30...
    I doubt they trade Vlad. Now that other legacy infielder whose name rhymes with a famous Star Wars bounty hunter? I could see him getting moved…

Deity
    I have to be honest and say I'm skeptical of most trades, and here's why.

Story, Yoshida, Giolito, Sale, and maybe even Whitlock (with his new contract) were questionable investments. But right now, without those players, the Sox are in the hunt for the postseason. Indeed, the loss of starters Sale, Giolito, and Whitlock has resulted in the best Sox rotation in a long time.

Five years ago the 2019 Sox had the highest payroll in MLB and were loaded with talent: Mookie, Devers, JDM, Bogey, Vazquez, Leon, JBJ, Beni, Moreland, Holt, ERod, Workman, Sale, Price, Eovaldi, Porcello, et al. They won 84 games and did not make it to the postseason. In the latter half of the 2019 season DD was going to John Henry and telling him, "boss, I know we have the highest payroll in Baseball, but I need a bunch more money to keep Mookie and replace Sale and Price in the rotation while continuing to pay them."

Now here we are five years later, Devers is the only player left from the 2019 Sox, and the Sox are relying heavily on a bunch of no-names who are doing better than the 2019 Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I doubt they trade Vlad. Now that other legacy infielder whose name rhymes with a famous Star Wars bounty hunter? I could see him getting moved…
    I can't believe the signed IG-88.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't believe the signed IG-88.
    Needed more fWAR from their assassin role…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I have to be honest and say I'm skeptical of most trades, and here's why.

Story, Yoshida, Giolito, Sale, and maybe even Whitlock (with his new contract) were questionable investments. But right now, without those players, the Sox are in the hunt for the postseason. Indeed, the loss of starters Sale, Giolito, and Whitlock has resulted in the best Sox rotation in a long time.

Five years ago the 2019 Sox had the highest payroll in MLB and were loaded with talent: Mookie, Devers, JDM, Bogey, Vazquez, Leon, JBJ, Beni, Moreland, Holt, ERod, Workman, Sale, Price, Eovaldi, Porcello, et al. They won 84 games and did not make it to the postseason. In the latter half of the 2019 season DD was going to John Henry and telling him, "boss, I know we have the highest payroll in Baseball, but I need a bunch more money to keep Mookie and replace Sale and Price in the rotation while continuing to pay them."

Now here we are five years later, Devers is the only player left from the 2019 Sox, and the Sox are relying heavily on a bunch of no-names who are doing better than the 2019 Sox.

Both teams had the same record (43-37) at the 80 game point. But with this team, that record is a pleasant surprise, while in 2019 it was an abject disappointment…

Needed more fWAR from their assassin role…
    Dengar has amounted a lot of fWAR over the years, but he's really past his prime at this point.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Perhaps more amazing is that Dalbec is second in 40 man roster seniority.

He was drafted in 2016, a couple years after Devers was an Int’l signing.

Pivetta is 3rd.

Deity
    Both teams had the same record (43-37) at the 80 game point. But with this team, that record is a pleasant surprise, while in 2019 it was an abject disappointment…
    Absolutely fair statement. I think my point is still valid. High-priced players aren't necessarily terrible, but they do carry risks.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Perhaps more amazing is that Dalbec is second in 40 man roster seniority.

He was drafted in 2016, a couple years after Devers was an Int’l signing.

Pivetta is 3rd.
    And yet you want to get rid of Pivetta AND Dalbec. Interesting.....
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And yet you want to get rid of Pivetta AND Dalbec. Interesting.....
    Dalbec, yes, along with 95% of this site.

On Pivetta, if we are to be sellers, yes, I’d trade all of our FAsbto be forvgg to he best return possible.

It looks less and less likely as we get closer to the deadline.

BTW, you ignored my posts about extending Pivetta, which I still would like to see done, at a reasonable cost.