Register now to remove this ad

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’d be much more in favor of an Anthony-Crochet swap if Garrett had ever reached even 140 IP in MLB. I’d still be excited to get him, but I just think he’s not going to solve the big issue with the 2024 rotation.

But I’d be excited that the Sox finally made a solid deadline addition and added a quality healthy player for the first time since Eovaldi/Pearce/Kinsler in 2018.

(Schwarber in 2021 wasn’t healthy. And we had to wait like 3 weeks for that trade to kick in.)
    It's fun to speculate, and trade proposals are part of being a fan.

But reasonable Red Sox fans (who always suspected the worst reasons for the Bloom Era) don't expect any deadline acquisitions beyond maybe a Jack Flaherty... for a package of prospects all due to become Rule V draft picks.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It has to be encouraging that everyone on this board -- the Saturday after the best win of the season -- is prepared to part with "the future" for "the present" (and the gifts it will continue to yield for coming sustainable contenders).

Ramble on: now's the time, the time is now.
    I've gone over to the dark side because: 1) I like these 2024 Sox; 2) I see the need for another good starter; 3) I also see excess of outfielders in Boston and @ Portland. Heck, maybe there's a couple @ Worcester.

As I think you said, best not to trade Mayer (SS) or Teel (C).

Deity
    Notin-recommended trade target Tyler “Not Chase” Anderson pitched today. 8IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 10K and evened his record at 8-8.

He’s not going to come as cheaply as BTV suggests with their surplus value at $(-4) million. Presumably, there will be other interested teams. Anderson makes $13mill this year and is under contract formanother $13mil in 2025, which will eliminate a few interested teams. But if the Sox can take on all the money they can keep themselves in the picture…

You have to be willing and able to top other teams offers. So, if you are going to make too many of your prospects untouchable , you are going to have trouble trading for the better pitchers out there.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    You have to be willing and able to top other teams offers. So, if you are going to make too many of your prospects untouchable , you are going to have trouble trading for the better pitchers out there.
    True, but you might not have to go so overboard typing teams that insist on not taking the entire salary.

And a lot of teams do keep their top prospects off the market as well…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I've gone over to the dark side because: 1) I like these 2024 Sox; 2) I see the need for another good starter; 3) I also see excess of outfielders in Boston and @ Portland. Heck, maybe there's a couple @ Worcester.

As I think you said, best not to trade Mayer (SS) or Teel (C).
    Obviously no one is untouchable “in the right trade.” But I’d think “the right trade” for Teel is much lower quality than the right trade for Anthony or Mayer…

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Agreed. Also, for years the argument went that we drafted and developed everyday prospects way better than pitchers to stockpile them for later trades for pitching.

That time is now. I would not trade a top 8 prospect (K Campbell included) for any rental, and longer controlled pitchers are harder to find and more costly, but biting the bullet is what it takes to get our staff over the hump.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Obviously no one is untouchable “in the right trade.” But I’d think “the right trade” for Teel is much lower quality than the right trade for Anthony or Mayer…
    I also wonder if Wong’s big step up plays into choosing to deal Teel over Anthony or Mayer, assuming a big three is needed to land a stud.

One could argue OF is loaded, too, so Anthony could be dealt, and the OF would still look set for many years, even with no O’Neill or Ref in a year or two.

To me, middle IF still looks shaky, so Mayer might be the one Brez struggles to keep.

K Campbells stock has shot up, but I’m not sure he’d bring back a top pitcher. His upside seems very high, to me- same as Cespedes. I’m not sure their trade value matches my optimism on what they can bring to the future of the Sox.

Bleis is hard to value, IMO.

I’d like to see what we could get for 2-3 prospects from my second tier group:

Sandlin, Perales or Fitts (just one and only for pitching in return)
    Zanetello
    Meidroth
    Yorke
    Lugo

Maybe add a Castro, Paulino, Jordan or Romero to get a deal done.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

We need to sell sell sell sell at the deadline. Pivetta, Jansen, Martin and O’Neil

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    We need to sell sell sell sell at the deadline. Pivetta, Jansen, Martin and O’Neil
    Why?

We’re in the playoff picture now with a team everyone pegged for last place…

Why?

We’re in the playoff picture now with a team everyone pegged for last place…
    What do we gain by going to the playoffs and losing in the wild card game????

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    What do we gain by going to the playoffs and losing in the wild card game????
    If you’re not playing to win then don’t play at all. Anything can happens once you get into the postseason. Selling off, and not trying to make this team better NOW, and you’ll loose everyone in that clubhouse. Loser attitude.

Deity
    Buy, buy, buy, and no Suspect should be an untouchable.