Register now to remove this ad

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Need to keep Hamilton and absolutely not make a deal for another SS when we have Story--for whatever he might still be worth--due back next season and Mayer possibly headed to Boston this season.

Someone else said the above before I did. I'm just agreeing.
    Story is out for the year, if you could find a RHB that can play up the middle and is a rental, why shouldn't we consider it?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Story is out for the year, if you could find a RHB that can play up the middle and is a rental, why shouldn't we consider it?
    They do have Gonzalez and Grissom.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    They do have Gonzalez and Grissom.
    Better keep those duck boats hot!!!!
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Want to go big?

Marcelo Mayer/Yoenis Cespedes/Angel Bastardo

for

Garrett Crochet.

Deity
    Story was never, ever a good righty bat for the Sox. In 3 seasons he has 19 dingers and an cumulative OPS under .700. Good field, no hit since he showed up in Boston, which means his $140M for 6 years was wasted. What we miss are Duvall and Turner.

But I agree a righty bat would definitely help. I think overall weakness from the right side is why the Sox have a losing record at Fenway.

So why not at 1B?

Relatedly, here are the current Sox OPS's at Fenway: Devers .983; Casas .980; Duran .891; Valdez .878; Wong .804; Abreu .783; O'Neill .776; Yoshida .682; Smith .677; Refsnyder .669; Rafaela .654; Hamilton .609; Gonzalez .607; McGuire .307.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Theres' so much that has to happen for that to work.

A lot of people view Hamilton as a utility infielder/speedbench bat, Medidroth is a middling prospect with minor league production but serious questions about having the ability to impact the baseball at the MLB level.

That's not worthless, but just think if you were getting those two guys in return what you'd be willing to give up?

Now, said team has to believe in the upside of those guys, and have an extra 40 man spot available to carry an extra guy who will have to be carried on a 40 man.

The odds of those stars aligning are slim.

Hypothetically Hamilton + Yorke gets you Tristan Casas. I would never make that trade.

Now, if we are talking about a rental, that's a different story, but I wonder if a prospect that offers the flexibility of not needing to be added to the 40 man this offseason as being more valuable to a team. POSSIBLY, again stars must always align.

For example. I think Hamilton/Romero might actually be more enticing, yes Romero isn't ranked as high but a team has the luxury of being able to keep him off the 40 man, develop him and see if he can become what comes along with a first round draft pick shine.
    My post didn't mean what you think it means.
    WAR is good for something.

All-Star
    I thought you were saying that prospect package wouldn’t bring you back anything more than a marginal upgrade at best.

All-Star
    Story was never, ever a good righty bat for the Sox. In 3 seasons he has 19 dingers and an cumulative OPS under .700. Good field, no hit since he showed up in Boston, which means his $140M for 6 years was wasted. What we miss are Duvall and Turner.

But I agree a righty bat would definitely help. I think overall weakness from the right side is why the Sox have a losing record at Fenway.

So why not at 1B?

Relatedly, here are the current Sox OPS's at Fenway: Devers .983; Casas .980; Duran .891; Valdez .878; Wong .804; Abreu .783; O'Neill .776; Yoshida .682; Smith .677; Refsnyder .669; Rafaela .654; Hamilton .609; Gonzalez .607; McGuire .307.
    I’m confused, I’m not focused on Story, he’s not here for 2024 and I’m trying to add up the middle talent, not rely on Story.

I’d be open to 1B upgrade, but as time goes on and Casas gets closer to a return in becomes more pointless.

I’d look to upgrade up the middle to strengthen the defense and also provide the upside in the lineup as well.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    I thought you were saying that prospect package wouldn’t bring you back anything more than a marginal upgrade at best.
    My point was that Hamilton is more valuable to the Sox than other teams.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Want to go big?

Marcelo Mayer/Yoenis Cespedes/Angel Bastardo

for

Garrett Crochet.
    Oh no!trading the chosen one in Mayer? Crochet just turned 25, but hasn’t thrown 200 innings in the bigs yet. But go BIG, or go home.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    I’m confused, I’m not focused on Story, he’s not here for 2024 and I’m trying to add up the middle talent, not rely on Story.

I’d be open to 1B upgrade, but as time goes on and Casas gets closer to a return in becomes more pointless.

I’d look to upgrade up the middle to strengthen the defense and also provide the upside in the lineup as well.
    Forget Casas. His injury is rare, even unprecedented, and the result of simply swinging a bat at a pitched ball. It's not just a question of when he can return, but whether he can return and swing a bat effectively.

As for better defense up the middle, think Marcelo Mayer, who is already better than Hamilton and maybe Story too.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 07-05-2024 at 02:16 PM.

All-Star
    Forget Casas. His injury is rare, even unprecedented, and the result of simply swinging a bat at a pitched ball. It's not just a question of when he can return, but whether he can return and swing a bat effectively.

As for better defense up the middle, think Marcelo Mayer, who is already better than Hamilton and maybe Story too.
    Casas will be fine, his injury is muscular. I’ve strained an oblique before myself when I used to box. Tons of core strength work to come back, probably very good for him. I still wouldn’t mind a RHH option at 1B who can slide into a DH role and split time elsewhere at the corners when Casas is back.

Mayer isn’t an option in 2024 in my opinion.

A guy up the middle who can hit and defend is the best option to upgrade the lineup.

All-Star
    Anyone is tradeable for the right price, I’m just getting the ball rolling with some proposals.

You guys are welcome to add your own trade proposals.

I’d prefer a rental over trading Mayer. But if you want a pitcher with multiple years of control who has TOTR potential, the price starts with Mayer or Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    But then you just traded Hamilton and a good prospect for at most, an average SS.
    1. I wasn’t saying I wanted to trade DHam, but why would trading DHam plus Meidroth bring back a worse SS?

You seem really hung up
    On how Casas hurt himself.

You hated us trading Sale who hurt himself riding a bike.

Am I missing something?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?