Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What can we realistically get for Pivetta & Jansen?

We could maybe add O'Neill and Martin, if they are showing value, or even McGuire, if a team needs a catcher or back-up catcher.

Maybe a package of Pivetta, Jansen and McGuire can get us a decent ML ready prospect or two.
    Pivetta: minor league arms, 15-20 on a team's prospect list maybe. Jansen: less than Pivetta, maybe one arm or minor league everyday guy or young MLB reliever with upside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pivetta: minor league arms, 15-20 on a team's prospect list maybe. Jansen: less than Pivetta, maybe one arm or minor league everyday guy or young MLB reliever with upside.
    I think more. Look what we got for Vaz.

Of course, I'm assuming both Pivetta & Jansen continue doing well and stay healthy.

I think Pivetta gets us 4-7 prospect, depending on how good the farm is.
    I think Jansen gets about the same, especially if a team is desperate for a closer.

O'Neill and Martin might not get much, unless they inpressin the next 6-7 weeks.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I think more. Look what we got for Vaz.

Of course, I'm assuming both Pivetta & Jansen continue doing well and stay healthy.

I think Pivetta gets us 4-7 prospect, depending on how good the farm is.
    I think Jansen gets about the same, especially if a team is desperate for a closer.

O'Neill and Martin might not get much, unless they inpressin the next 6-7 weeks.
    For Vaz, we got two guys ranked in the 20's on another team's prospect list. They wanted a starting catcher as they headed towards a World Series push. There's no way Jansen gets a top 5 prospect. I'm very dubious Pivetta would either. If I'm the Sox, I'd rather take a 12 and a 14 from a team for Pivetta than get a 6 or 7.
    I get MV Pee.

For Vaz, we got two guys ranked in the 20's on another team's prospect list. They wanted a starting catcher as they headed towards a World Series push. There's no way Jansen gets a top 5 prospect. I'm very dubious Pivetta would either. If I'm the Sox, I'd rather take a 12 and a 14 from a team for Pivetta than get a 6 or 7.
    Top 7 prospects on many contenders is not all that good.

BTW, BA had Valdez 12 and Abreu 21, but some felt Abreu was the better prospect. (I'm not asking for 2 prospects.)

BTW, Vaz was not their starting catcher after the trade.

Top 7 prospects on many contenders is not all that good.

BTW, BA had Valdez 12 and Abreu 21, but some felt Abreu was the better prospect. (I'm not asking for 2 prospects.)

BTW, Vaz was not their starting catcher after the trade.
    The GM wanted him to be the starting catcher. The manager disagreed and wanted to stick with Maldonado (0.4 bWAR vs Vaz 2.1 bWAR with Red Sox that year). The disagreement was part of a public dispute which in turn helped lead the GM out the door in the offseason. Owner was squashing trades and the manager was not playing acquired players. Click decided he wanted no part of Astros culture.

After the trade, Vaz had 108 PA's, Maldonado had 114.
    I get MV Pee.

The GM wanted him to be the starting catcher. The manager disagreed and wanted to stick with Maldonado (0.4 bWAR vs Vaz 2.1 bWAR with Red Sox that year). The disagreement was part of a public dispute which in turn helped lead the GM out the door in the offseason. Owner was squashing trades and the manager was not playing acquired players. Click decided he wanted no part of Astros culture.

After the trade, Vaz had 108 PA's, Maldonado had 114.
    Those 108 included 8 PAs as a PH and 4 as a DH.

GMs wishes aside, he was not really the starting Catcher.

Even if we are buyers, none of these names are even close to a target I'd want.

Also, OF, 3B, 1B and DH are not our high need areas, even as jsut rentals.

We need SP'ers and middle IF'ers.

More likely, we sell.
    more likely we stand pat as we are still in contention

Biggio only has 1 MLB inning at SS. He's really a 2B/3B/corner OF.
    Biggio is better than what we are using at 2b right now. the price for him is about right for Henry

I always liked Christian Vazquez. He is a good, solid catcher from the Molina school of catching. Always known as a really good teammate. He also is a winner. A guy who is an asset to his team. I think his teammates and fans were more upset about the way his trade was handled than they were about the actual deal.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I always liked Christian Vazquez. He is a good, solid catcher from the Molina school of catching. Always known as a really good teammate. He also is a winner. A guy who is an asset to his team. I think his teammates and fans were more upset about the way his trade was handled than they were about the actual deal.
    The notification of the trade was indeed a fiasco.

We traded him at the right time. He was about to decline.

His numbers with pitchers, when compared to his back-up, were worrisome, to say the least.

we are better off just keeping Pivetta rather than getting a low ranked prospect. He is generally durable and if he is a #4-5 guy we could do worse and he should come pretty cheap and on a short term deal. The other 3- I take whatever we can get for them and hopefully Breslow targets pitching in return.
    Last edited by Randy Red Sox; 06-10-2024 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    we are better off just keeping Pivetta rather than getting a low ranked prospect. He is generally durable and if he is a #4-5 guy we could do worse and he should come pretty cheap and on a short term deal. The other 3- I take whatever we can get for them and hopefully Breslow targets pitching in return.
    I'm not sure why we only get a low ranked prospect for Pivetta, unless he struggles between now and the deadline.

Since May 25th, 2023 (over a year ago) only 10 pitchers have an ERA- better than Nick's 72 (102 pitchers with 130+ IP)

For the FIP fans, this might blow you away: xFIP- leaders since 5/28/23:
    62 Skubal
    63 Glasnow
    71 Pivetta
    71 Webb
    72 Strider

SIERA
    2.72 Skubal
    2.83 Pivetta
    2.88 Glasnow
    3.04 Strider

His 2.7 fWAR in this time is equal to Houck's.

I think you guys are undervaluing this guy.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    The Sox can deal him and extend him later. It’s not like Pivetta is in the running for a QO…

I'm not sure why we only get a low ranked prospect for Pivetta, unless he struggles between now and the deadline.

Since May 25th, 2023 (over a year ago) only 10 pitchers have an ERA- better than Nick's 72 (102 pitchers with 130+ IP)

For the FIP fans, this might blow you away: xFIP- leaders since 5/28/23:
    62 Skubal
    63 Glasnow
    71 Pivetta
    71 Webb
    72 Strider

SIERA
    2.72 Skubal
    2.83 Pivetta
    2.88 Glasnow
    3.04 Strider

His 2.7 fWAR in this time is equal to Houck's.

I think you guys are undervaluing this guy.

then why trade him?

Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    then why trade him?
    FA after this year.

No brainer.

Extend him or trade him.

(We could even trade him, then re-sign him, this winter.)