Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's not early anymore. Solstice was 3:50 PM last night.

Boston is as good as Kansas City, Minnesota, and right now, Cleveland, Seattle and New York.

The running Red Sox have picked a lane for Craig Breslow. Summer's here and the time is right for racing in the streets.
    Buddy have I got some bad news for you.

According to the National Weather Service, the summer solstice will occur on Thursday at 4:51 p.m. Eastern time.

We had a work happy hour to celebrate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Silver linings:

-- losing Story was bad for the D, but I never wanted to see him batting third in the line-up... instead we have Wong hitting .330 and Hamilton closing in on the league lead in stolen bases.

-- losing Giolito allowed Houck to emerge as staff ace and a probable All-Star selection.

-- losing Casas depleted the power, but allowed Cora and his staff to rely more on team speed, a key in the Sox' first hot streak of the season.

-- Cora "resting" any regulars -- giving a scheduled day off -- drives fans crazy... but it's really just semantics; ballplayers are always banged up, and always play with nagging injuries, but managers are too smart to risk divulging secrets when they grant time off for wounds to heal... even if it's just for swelling to subside for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Buddy have I got some bad news for you.

According to the National Weather Service, the summer solstice will occur on Thursday at 4:51 p.m. Eastern time.

We had a work happy hour to celebrate it.
    Some happy peeps in Central time were already hammered by 4:51.

-- losing Casas depleted the power, but allowed Cora and his staff to rely more on team speed, a key in the Sox' first hot streak of the season.
    Loved your other silver linings, but Dalbec, Cooper and DSmith have not added much of anything to any aspect of the game.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Loved your other silver linings, but Dalbec, Cooper and DSmith have not added much of anything to any aspect of the game.
    How much would you give up for Pete Alsono? He's a right-handed hitting rental, age 29, and averages 45 home runs per 162 -- half of which were never at Fenway Pahk...

Before someone complains: "Wherever would we put him?" -- how about right after Rafael Devers in the batting order.

How much would you give up for Pete Alsono? He's a right-handed hitting rental, age 29, and averages 45 home runs per 162 -- half of which were never at Fenway Pahk...

Before someone complains: "Wherever would we put him?" -- how about right after Rafael Devers in the batting order.
    I'm not giving a top 10 prospects, but might give a couple 11-30 prospects.

Yes, he'd fit into our line-up nicely, but he'd DH instead of Ref, who is our best better vs LHPs over the last 3 years. We do have room for Ref in the OF v LHPs, but with so many lefty OF'ers, we'd have to bench Duran, Abreu or Ref/Rafaela/O'Neill in the OF vs RHPs.

Is the gain worth what we give up?

I guess it depends on what we give up. Paulino & Hickey, sure. E R-C and Yorke? Maybe not.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not giving a top 10 prospects, but might give a couple 11-30 prospects.

Yes, he'd fit into our line-up nicely, but he'd DH instead of Ref, who is our best better vs LHPs over the last 3 years. We do have room for Ref in the OF v LHPs, but with so many lefty OF'ers, we'd have to bench Duran, Abreu or Ref/Rafaela/O'Neill in the OF vs RHPs.

Is the gain worth what we give up?

I guess it depends on what we give up. Paulino & Hickey, sure. E R-C and Yorke? Maybe not.

BTV gives Alonso a surplus trade value of 6.3. Wikelman Gonzalez has a surplus trade value of 5.7.

Even if Willie isn’t the mark, this should give some perspective…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    BTV gives Alonso a surplus trade value of 6.3. Wikelman Gonzalez has a surplus trade value of 5.7.

Even if Willie isn’t the mark, this should give some perspective…
    I can't imagine Wikelman's value is still that high after this year.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    I can't imagine Wikelman's value is still that high after this year.
    Maybe not, but the point being Alonso isn’t a farm buster.

Of course, what he does seem to be is a very unpleasant human being…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Maybe not, but the point being Alonso isn’t a farm buster.

Of course, what he does seem to be is a very unpleasant human being…
    Half of a year of Alonso should be reasonable. Aside from Sandlin, I don't think I'd give up a top 10 prospect in a trade for him.
    I get MV Pee.

I wonder if O’Neil has created value thus far this year. Yes he has been injured, but would a contender part with 2 prospects in the 15-25 range for him???? Hello Seattle????

Jansen and Martin to the Phillies for two prospects in the 15-25 range?????

Pivetta to the royals for a prospect in the 15-20 range????

Half of a year of Alonso should be reasonable. Aside from Sandlin, I don't think I'd give up a top 10 prospect in a trade for him.
    It’s hard to have a strong opinion on Sandlin, but with such a lack of strong pitching prospects, I’m sticking to my no top 10 opinion. I would trade Wikelman and Roger’s for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I wonder if O’Neil has created value thus far this year. Yes he has been injured, but would a contender part with 2 prospects in the 15-25 range for him???? Hello Seattle????

I think Jansen and Pivetta can get an average team’s 10-18 prospect, and O’Neill a 12-22 one. Martin is unknown, as of now but could get a 12-22 or 18-30 depending

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

2 prospects for O'Neilll? A team would have to be pretty hard up for him. Also, the Sox really enjoy having his bat in the lineup.

Jansen and Martin combined have a much higher trade value than O'Neilll IMO, Pivetta too.
    I get MV Pee.

2 prospects for O'Neilll? A team would have to be pretty hard up for him. Also, the Sox really enjoy having his bat in the lineup.

Jansen and Martin combined have a much higher trade value than O'Neilll IMO, Pivetta too.
    Given O'Neil's history of being an all star level player when 100% healthy, if he is again playing that way and it's only a rental I can see him getting a rentals ransom....a good rental. Teams will overpay at the deadline. Not sure we could get a top 100 prospect for him, but a guy who is on the fringe who has the upside to blossom? I can certainly see that. Maybe. But at this point they shouldn't sell, although they're one bad losing streak away from being sellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.