Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 6/09 SOX @ White Sox 2:10PM ET Can the Even Stevens Do It Again?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's absurd. Bregman never enters any picture.

Part of picking the subs is based on who do fans want to see play. I think Devers might be chosen over Westburg and Paredes for that reason. He's a better and more proven batter.

Duran looks like the 4th best OF'er almost any way you want to look. He should be chosen as a sub.
    The tough part with Duran is that there's just so many names on the ballot that he'll get lost in the shuffle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

4th best OF'ers do deserve a slot on the AS team- just not as a starter.

I think the fact that Devers is close to having a career year, and has name recognition, he would be chosen, if the choice was made, now.

I think OPS matters more than fWAR to many fans.

BTW, bWAR has Devers ahead of Paredes.

2.5 Westburg
    1.8 Devers
    1.6 Paredes
    Westburg has played one-third of his games at second base. Not sure if that helps or hurts his dWAR...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The tough part with Duran is that there's just so many names on the ballot that he'll get lost in the shuffle.
    I will not be surprised, at all, if he does not get picked.

I'm just saying, as of now, he seems to be the 4th deserving OF'er in the AL.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

OPS is a real thing . fWAR is not. Does the average baseball fan know how to compute fWAR ? Is there a mathematical formula that determines one guy is a 1.8 and another guy is a 1.6 ? It is just some guy's invention. A mystery to most fans. And not something that effects their All Star voting.
    Old school is good school.

I will not be surprised, at all, if he does not get picked.

I'm just saying, as of now, he seems to be the 4th deserving OF'er in the AL.
    I won't even be surprised if Duran is picked as a reserve and winds up starting, when the all-in Yankees make Judge or Soto go visit Manny's gramma (morgue or less).

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    OPS is a real thing . fWAR is not. Does the average baseball fan know how to compute fWAR ? Is there a mathematical formula that determines one guy is a 1.8 and another guy is a 1.6 ? It is just some guy's invention. A mystery to most fans. And not something that effects their All Star voting.
    It's only recently anybody knew what the hell OPS was.

Nobody knows exactly know how to calculate WAR, but it's easy enough to look up.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I won't even be surprised if Duran is picked as a reserve and winds up starting, when the all-in Yankees make Judge or Soto go visit Manny's gramma (morgue or less).
    Manny had 18 grannys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's only recently anybody knew what the hell OPS was.

Nobody knows exactly know how to calculate WAR, but it's easy enough to look up.
    On base and slugging percentages have been around a long time.. They are easy to figure out. I don't know that it was necessary to add them together to create a new stat, but it is easy to do. Personally, I don't know of anyone who would take the time to try to compute a player's fWAR. And if they did, would it match with what the website puts out ?
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    On base and slugging percentages have been around a long time.. They are easy to figure out. I don't know that it was necessary to add them together to create a new stat, but it is easy to do. Personally, I don't know of anyone who would take the time to try to compute a player's fWAR. And if they did, would it match with what the website puts out ?
    Does it matter?

It doesn't to me, and I value WAR.