Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6/07 SOX @ White Sox 8:10PM ET

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    It always starts with a walk and goes downhill from there. Red Sox squander the lead. They will need to hit their way out of this one. Criswell pitching is not highly effective.
    I think expecting a lineup that contains Jamie Westbrook, Bobby Dalbec, David Hamilton and Garrett Cooper to battle back against the one legitimate All Star on the White Sox was probably a bit much…

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Keep building up those muscles, Tyler.
    One of the great abilities of a mercenary player is AVAILABILITY. Tyler O'Neill does not have that skill. But, I know, it's early and Tyler may yet have a miraculous cure in store for us, improving his availability. I will venture that Breslow will offer this guy at the trade deadline and no team will want to pick him up due to UNRELIABILITY

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think expecting a lineup that contains Jamie Westbrook, Bobby Dalbec, David Hamilton and Garrett Cooper to battle back against the one legitimate All Star on the White Sox was probably a bit much…
    A point I was thinking about. Even more obvious when you realize that MLB teams play with 13 position players/hitters. Dalbec and Cooper must be #13/#12 in any order. Westbrook seems willing to swing the bat so I give him #11. Hamilton has shown some small talent ( not throwing to home) and he gets #10 . Now 9 guys need to be in the lineup for 9 innings. The Red Sox only have 9 guys left, and one is a reserve catcher/PH'er.

No wonder Cora keeps showing Breslow, and Bloom before him what these guys can/cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    A point I was thinking about. Even more obvious when you realize that MLB teams play with 13 position players/hitters. Dalbec and Cooper must be #13/#12 in any order. Westbrook seems willing to swing the bat so I give him #11. Hamilton has shown some small talent ( not throwing to home) and he gets #10 . Now 9 guys need to be in the lineup for 9 innings. The Red Sox only have 9 guys left, and one is a reserve catcher/PH'er.

No wonder Cora keeps showing Breslow, and Bloom before him what these guys can/cannot do.
    Nicely laid out.

One could put DHam above Rafaela, too. (so far)

We need Casas back, badly.

O'Neill's unreliability was a major concern when we traded for him. We keep trotting out the Pillar, Renfroe, Duvall, O'Neill types, year-after-year.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nicely laid out.

One could put DHam above Rafaela, too. (so far)

We need Casas back, badly.

O'Neill's unreliability was a major concern when we traded for him. We keep trotting out the Pillar, Renfroe, Duvall, O'Neill types, year-after-year.
    I liked the availability stat too--until I looked at previous seasons.

For example, the Sox best team ever, 2018, had these Games played/At Bats--

JDM 150/569
    Beni 148/579
    JBJ 144/474
    Mookie 136/520
    Bogey 136/513
    Nunez 127/480 (Note: less Nunez was actually better because his WAR was -1.1)
    Moreland 124/404
    Devers 121/450
    Holt 109/321
    Leon 89/265

Deity
    Again on the AVAILABILITY topic.

I looked at the top WAR's (position players in MLB), and the top ten have all played in 60 or more games. Yes, WAR does in fact favor games played, but back in 2018 Mookie's WAR was sky high, 10.9, despite playing the fewest games, 136, in the top ten in WAR's.

Right now Duran's WAR of 3.2 is 8th best in MLB and best on the Sox in part because he has played in 64 games, most on the Sox. Duran also has the highest DWAR, +1.1, on the Sox.

Since the 2019 season, the Sox have been hurt by unavailability issues, except in 2021: Devers 156 games, JDM 148, Dugo 146, Renfroe 144, Bogey 144, Vazquez 136, Kike (WAR +4.9) 134, Dalbec (OPS .792) 133. That year, 2021, was also when Eovaldi had 32 starts, Pivetta 31, and ERod 31.

Deity
    Shout out to SPLENDIDSPLINTER for the 2 wins and especially the one over the Braves (in the dreaded Fenway Park).

He also said up front last night was the White Sox best chance for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I liked the availability stat too--until I looked at previous seasons.

For example, the Sox best team ever, 2018, had these Games played/At Bats--

JDM 150/569
    Beni 148/579
    JBJ 144/474
    Mookie 136/520
    Bogey 136/513
    Nunez 127/480 (Note: less Nunez was actually better because his WAR was -1.1)
    Moreland 124/404
    Devers 121/450
    Holt 109/321
    Leon 89/265
    That is an interesting set of short stats . To think that Mookie and Xander both missed a month's worth of games is surprising. If Leon only was in 89 games, who caught the other 73 ? Vazquez appeared in 80 , and Blake Swihart actually appeared in 82 games, mostly as a utility player.

Think of this, if you didn't know the 2018 outcome , and if you had the option to take this roster and games played , would you have guessed that this was the winningest Red Sox team of all-time ?

Deity
    Back on AVAILABILITY. Here's what caused these Sox players to be out for the season or on the IL--

Story dove for a grounder, which a SS should never do.

Abreu came down the dugout steps-- definitely risky behavior.

Giolito threw a baseball during spring training--a big no-no.

Whitlock pitched 18.1 innings in 4 starts, which was way too many for a MLB pitcher and bordered on abusive. I'm surprised Cora still has a job.

Casas swung at a pitch. What was he thinking? When he returns, hopefully this month, let's hope he has been working on his bunting.

O'Neill left the safety of the dugout and actually went out onto the playing field and played baseball. Also risky behavior.

Sale is actually healthy and having a good season--for the Braves, but with the Sox paying his salary of $17M. However, in return for Sale, the Sox got Grissom, who is on the IL.

Yoshida was I think HBP--on his thumb. I believe the treatment has been to rest his thumb, now going on 40 games.

Martin is out for anxiety, which I think is real and a definite hazard for a relief pitcher.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-08-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Availability is always an issue with some teams more than others.

Part of our issues with this is based on us signing so many players with recent injury histories and the 4 year drama with Sale.

This year, the O'Neill's issues are not surprising, and I guess Whitlock's, too.

Giolito was surprising. Casas has been hurt, before, but this time was rather freakish.

I don't blame a SS for diving for a ball. It's instinct, but yes, even if he got the ball, uninjured, the guy is still safe at 1B.

With how well Ref is doing, the Yoshida injury is not a concern.

We sure could use a healthy O'Neill, Casas, Abreu, Martin and continued good health from Pivetta & others.

I'd mention Grissom's return, but I'm not sure he can improve on DHam and Romy.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by maxbialystock View Post
    back on availability. Here's what caused these sox players to be out for the season or on the il--

story dove for a grounder, which a ss should never do.

Abreu came down the dugout steps-- definitely risky behavior.

Giolito threw a baseball during spring training--a big no-no.

Whitlock pitched 18.1 innings in 4 starts, which was way too many for a mlb pitcher and bordered on abusive. I'm surprised cora still has a job.

Casas swung at a pitch. What was he thinking? When he returns, hopefully this month, let's hope he has been working on his bunting.

O'neill left the safety of the dugout and actually went out onto the playing field and played baseball. Also risky behavior.

Sale is actually healthy and having a good season--for the braves, but with the sox paying his salary of $17m. However, in return for sale, the sox got grissom, who is on the il.

Yoshida was i think hbp--on his thumb. I believe the treatment has been to rest his thumb, now going on 40 games.

Martin is out for anxiety, which i think is real and a definite hazard for a relief pitcher.
    lolol

Dalbec probalby would have struck out on the 3-2 pitch but that strike call was LOW!

This ump is bad

Better get their 9 irons out with this ump.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I believe Dalbec should bat ahead of Cooper.
    I also believe Vegas should bat instead of Cooper.
    I believe Dalbec should bat ahead of Cooper at Worcester!!!!!