Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/30 Tigers at Fenway

5/30 Tigers at Fenway

Jack Flaherty (RH'er) for the Tigers, vs Nick Pivetta for the defense

Flaherty's stats would indicate a potential pitcher for Boston, 1-4 W-L's, but a 3.84 ERA and 1.08 WHIP. More significant when pitching to Red Sox batters at Fenway is 81 K's in 61 innings .

Pivetta is Pivetta. Matches the WHIP at 1.07 but can be HR prone . Might throw a gem or might make you throw up.

Question of the Day: Who does call the pitches for Boston ? Is it preprogrammed according to analytics, implemented by Wong/McGuire, or is it Bailey ? Is it Breslow himself, sitting above the action watching on GameDay ?
    The pitch selections to McCann and Gunnar last night in the 2nd were dubious, execution by Crawford was worse.

Here is another winnable game against a Tiger's team with a comparable record (27-28) , but remember this is a Boston team that has a losing record at Fenway due to not hitting well in the 1912 Park.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Question of the Day: Who does call the pitches for Boston ? Is it preprogrammed according to analytics, implemented by Wong/McGuire, or is it Bailey ? Is it Breslow himself, sitting above the action watching on GameDay ?
    I assume Bailey and Varitek do the game planning. Not sure how much latitude the catchers have to make calls.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I assume Bailey and Varitek do the game planning. Not sure how much latitude the catchers have to make calls.
    I had overlooked Varitek's role. Do we know if the specific calls get transmitted from the bench to the catcher for relay to pitcher , or does the catcher have the game plan in mind, and has the immediate feel for the pitcher's effectiveness ?

Back to the softer part of the schedule, where the Sox have done quite well. They also catch a break in that Skubal pitched for the Tigers yesterday, so they will not face him in this series.
    Old school is good school.

Alex Speier informs us that the Sox have played 21 games, 7 series, against opponents with records at least 5 games over .500. The record is 5-16 , 0 series. Even at 28-28 the Sox are only 2.5 games out of 3rd WC.

Sort of like getting a date with the Homecoming Queens 2nd cousin

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Back to the softer part of the schedule, where the Sox have done quite well. They also catch a break in that Skubal pitched for the Tigers yesterday, so they will not face him in this series.
    Yes Skubal would have gone Sunday against the Sox, but a rainout pushed him back a day until yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Alex Speier informs us that the Sox have played 21 games, 7 series, against opponents with records at least 5 games over .500. The record is 5-16 , 0 series. Even at 28-28 the Sox are only 2.5 games out of 3rd WC.

Sort of like getting a date with the Homecoming Queens 2nd cousin
    Can't beat good teams. Sell!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Duran CF,
    Abreu RF,
    Refsnyder LF,
    Devers 3B,
    Wong DH,
    Cooper 1B,
    McGuire C,
    Grissom 2B,
    Hamilton SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Pivetta being Pivetta, maybe has a blister from warming up ?

Nice to see Trot and Pedey on the field where they won WS's

I've got a question. When did Wally get married and is his wife's name Wallette?

Keith Foulke. Should he also be honored in the Red Sox HOF?

Fenway's new ad. "Come for the cold hot dogs and warm beer; try to stay awake for the game."

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Keith Foulke. Should he also be honored in the Red Sox HOF?
    I don’t think so. He barely meets the minimum criteria of playing for the Sox for 3 years (he played 3 seasons in Boston). He was awesome in 2004 but 2005 and 2006 were decidedly mediocre (to be charitable). I think HoF players need to be good for several years, not just one.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I don’t think so. He barely meets the minimum criteria of playing for the Sox for 3 years (he played 3 seasons in Boston). He was awesome in 2004 but 2005 and 2006 were decidedly mediocre (to be charitable). I think HoF players need to be good for several years, not just one.
    I felt that Foulke sacrificed his arm for the 2004 SOX. He closed all 4 games against the Cards in the 2004 WS.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Also, I believe Foulke would be more deserving than Billy Rohr.