Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5/29 @ O's

Why should we be surprised that this offense has difficulty with scoring ? Corbin Burnes's talent aside, this team is missing almost 60% of its expected offensive players including O'Neill, Yoshida, Story , Casas and Grissom was expected to hit at least his weight.

After a set with the comparable Tigers, the Sox get the mixmaster of Braves, Yankees and Phillies, with a bit of relief from White Sox. Could be a long June

Deity
    Well we will see how late July attendance is. Fans still show up to the park despite the crappy team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Why should we be surprised that this offense has difficulty with scoring ? Corbin Burnes's talent aside, this team is missing almost 60% of its expected offensive players including O'Neill, Yoshida, Story , Casas and Grissom was expected to hit at least his weight.

After a set with the comparable Tigers, the Sox get the mixmaster of Braves, Yankees and Phillies, with a bit of relief from White Sox. Could be a long June
    I'd rather have Refsnyder than Yoshida and/or O'Neill. And Story has massively underperformed for three straight years. Good glove, but not enough innings/games, and a weak back.

Deity
    Game was over the instant Burnes took the mound because the Sox simply cannot hit him. This was the same lineup that batted in 8 runs last night. Tonight the 1 run was unearned thanks to 2 Orioles errors.

Nevertheless I remain astounded by the bottom half of the 2d. Crawford had given up a run and had 2 men on, but he also had 2 outs. Coming up was the Orioles McCann, batting 9th with his OPS of .500. In the on deck circle was a monster-- Henderson with his 17 dingers and over .900 OPS.

If there was one certainty about that moment it was that Crawford absolutely had to throw strikes to Mann. Crawford should have known that, but maybe he was too focused on his pitching. So Wong or the pitching coach should have reminded him via a trip to the mound. But no one did that, and Mann was walked on 5 pitches to load 'em up for Henderson.

At that point there was absolutely nothing constructive to tell Crawford, who needed a miracle, not advice. But sure enough out came the pitching coach to tell him---- what?

We've fallen into a pattern of allowing one big inning, early in the game, then shut them down, while we remain shut down, all game long.

If we are to make a move to try and go for it, this year, it's going to have to be Schwarberesque. Maybe 2 X Schwarb-types.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'd rather have Refsnyder than Yoshida and/or O'Neill. And Story has massively underperformed for three straight years. Good glove, but not enough innings/games, and a weak back.
    When did he get that?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    When did he get that?
    Weak bat.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We've fallen into a pattern of allowing one big inning, early in the game, then shut them down, while we remain shut down, all game long.

If we are to make a move to try and go for it, this year, it's going to have to be Schwarberesque. Maybe 2 X Schwarb-types.
    I'm not there yet. I prefer to say this lineup can do it. But I say that mostly because there ain't no Schwarbers available right now.

Deity
    Weak bat.
    Damnit.

I was hoping someone would say "about a week back."

Where are my fellow Stooges' fans?!? 5Gold? I'm looking at you here!

Love the Stooges.

See that cat
    Down on her back?
    She got a TV eye on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Damnit.

Just got off the telly with Hassan Ben Sober. He said there's still a path to the wild card:

Start at Jerkola, down the Insane River, over the Giva Dam, through Pushover, and across Shmowland, to the stronghold of Schmow.

Personally, I might prefer sailing the Can't Sea, off the point of Oomphola, and go around Schmow to Slap Happia... as long as we avoid the Rans: Iran, He-Ran, She-Ran and They-Ran.

I'm not there yet. I prefer to say this lineup can do it. But I say that mostly because there ain't no Schwarbers available right now.
    Our "Schwarber" might have to be Casas.

This reminds me of another pattern us fans have been going through for years: waiting for IL players (mostly SP'ers) to return and "save the day," and it never happened.

There was ...

Sale & Bogey in '21
    Sale & Nate, Wacha, Hill, Story in '22
    Sale & Paxton, Bello, Houck, Whitlock in '23
    and now...
    Casas & O'Neill, Hendriks and after already waiting for all SP'ers not named Houck & Crawford to return.
    (The 2024 wait on Gio, Story & Whitlock is over.)

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Just got off the telly with Hassan Ben Sober. He said there's still a path to the wild card:

Start at Jerkola, down the Insane River, over the Giva Dam, through Pushover, and across Shmowland, to the stronghold of Schmow.

Personally, I might prefer sailing the Can't Sea, off the point of Oomphola, and go around Schmow to Slap Happia... as long as we avoid the Rans: Iran, He-Ran, She-Ran and They-Ran.
    We could just take the short cut by flying Jamaica Planes Airways to Also-Ran Land.

Deity
    Damnit.

I also was wrong about Crawford, Wong, and the pitching coach. After the game Crawford talked at length about walking McCann with 2 on and 2 out. He knew how important that was and that he basically blew it. No one needed to tell Crawford what he had to do.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

Now that’s more like it…