Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/29 @ O's

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Thanks very much, Orioles, for that ridiculous run in the 2d. But right now Crawford does not inspire confidence.
    When Crawford's shorts get a little tight he does tend to blow up , can't stop the opponents momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by gojohn99 View Post
    I just got a phone alert - O'Neil to the 10 day IL, Emmanuel Valdez recalled.
    Predictable, and it was up above

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    When Crawford's shorts get a little tight he does tend to blow up , can't stop the opponents momentum.
    Pitching coach went to the mound right before the grand slam. I think he told him to loosen up, and it worked. Yes, he gave up the dinger, but then he struck out the next guy.

Bad news is the Sox are now down 5-1 against a good pitcher. Good news is that Crawford is loose and ready for the 3d inning with, however, some risk of 5 more runs.

Sad that a light batting player with excellent speed is not proficient at bunting. Who teaches these players?

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Sad that a light batting player with excellent speed is not proficient at bunting. Who teaches these players?
    Better yet, who doesn't teach these players?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Better yet, who doesn't teach these players?
    Agree--and agree. Sabermetrics insists that bunts are stupid, stupid, stupid.

Deity
    4th inning, and the Sox so far have 1 hit, 3 K's, and an unearned run. Crawford has given up 5 runs, 3 hits (including a grand slam), a walk, and of course an HBP.

Deity
    McGuire no longer exists. He's caught 3 games since May 13. More importantly, all 3 were not only wins, but well-pitched games: 2-1, 5-2, and 5-0.

Wong is the better hitter, agreed, but maybe McGuire should catch more games.

I am sure the sabremetricians have reams of data to show that trading one of their 27 outs against an attempt to move a runner up 90' is a losing tactic. But , that does not mean it isn't a skill to be learned and worked on so when the right situation does develop, it is one of the tools available.

Deity
    I am sure the sabremetricians have reams of data to show that trading one of their 27 outs against an attempt to move a runner up 90' is a losing tactic. But , that does not mean it isn't a skill to be learned and worked on so when the right situation does develop, it is one of the tools available.
    I don't know exactly what sabermetrics says about bunts. Maybe, as you imply, they don't like sacrifice bunts. And maybe statistics agree with that. But, as you say, it's still a useful skill that can even get you some hits.

McGuire no longer exists. He's caught 3 games since May 13. More importantly, all 3 were not only wins, but well-pitched games: 2-1, 5-2, and 5-0.

Wong is the better hitter, agreed, but maybe McGuire should catch more games.
    Risky to play both in the same game with the injury possibility . I am sure Cora is trying to put the better hitters at the plate when the team is scuffling for runs. McGuire , however, is no Sandy Leon at the plate and can carry his own weight. He should be the # 1 PH'er vs Rh'ers.

Deity
    1 terrible inning by Crawford and 3 pretty good ones.

And zero good innings for the Sox lineup. The Orioles gave them that 1 run.

Deity
    Risky to play both in the same game with the injury possibility . I am sure Cora is trying to put the better hitters at the plate when the team is scuffling for runs. McGuire , however, is no Sandy Leon at the plate and can carry his own weight. He should be the # 1 PH'er vs Rh'ers.
    I agree we don't need to play both McGuire and Wong in the same game. I'm suggesting that the recent downturn in Sox pitching might be related to McGuire catching fewer games. I like a Wong a lot, but I like winning more.

1 terrible inning by Crawford and 3 pretty good ones.

And zero good innings for the Sox lineup. The Orioles gave them that 1 run.
    It will be tough to lose this one on a single swing of the bat . But it's the pitching leading up to that swing that created the situation. Both Crawford and Bello have one bad inning where they can't shut it down. Good hitting by the O's or an adverse reaction to pressure ?

Deity
    Well, sac bunts it does. But not bunting…