Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grissom Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In 2023's 80 PA's Grissom hit .280, but his OBP was only .313 and his SLG only .347.

I think there are more reasons to be concerned than just his BA. The lack of power and shortage of walks are issues too.

Even if more of the line drives start falling in we might be looking at an average or below average hitter.
    in only 75 ab's though?!?!?! meanwhile he put up a .921 OPS last year and a .419 OBP in AAA about 400 at bats. He was only 22 last year, he was brought up and throw into a playoff race, I don't think we've seen the best of Grissom yet. I hope so at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yeah his 5% walk rate is definitely not good. It was 10% in the minors, but it’s going backwards…
    He could be pressing now, the good about him is his defense looks fine at 2nd base to me
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Personally, I would rather have a guy with a high BA than a high 'line-drive-rate'. Since he hasn't hit a HR in two years, and fewer than half those line drives are hits, I'm guessing they aren't exactly bullets.
    There’s usually a cause/effect relationship between a good line drive rate and a high BA. But it can be skewed by luck, especially in small sample sizes.

He has hit a few soft liners - his hard hit rate is far from elite - but even thise have an expected hit rate he’s just under. Soft liners land, too.

The guy is 2 for 24 on ground balls as well. That’s straight up unlucky. Weakly hit grounders can find holes. Really weak ones can be beat out for hit. Nothing like that is working for Grissom. (And a lot of that has been working for Dalbec, to whom he was compared in the original post.)

Of course, it’s only 65 PA. Most players with small sample sizes find themselves either lucky or unlucky…

Deity
    He could be pressing now, the good about him is his defense looks fine at 2nd base to me
    I assume the pressing started a few weeks ago.

His better walk rates in the minors were in the years he had the most PAs, but often it’s easier to walk against a lot of MiLB pitchers, plenty of whom are in the minors for reasons related to wildness…

in only 75 ab's though?!?!?! meanwhile he put up a .921 OPS last year and a .419 OBP in AAA about 400 at bats. He was only 22 last year, he was brought up and throw into a playoff race, I don't think we've seen the best of Grissom yet. I hope so at least.
    It just seems like there's such a vast gulf between minor league pitching and major league pitching now. Guys can absolutely rake in AAA and when they're promoted it's like they've run into a brick wall. And when you look at Grissom's 2022 game log, he got off to a tremendous start, but at a certain point the pitchers seemed to figure him out.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I’ll let you answer that one. That’s why you have all those N’s in front of your name.
    So I guess we will never know why Grissom should be considered lucky. Quelle surprise…

It just seems like there's such a vast gulf between minor league pitching and major league pitching now. Guys can absolutely rake in AAA and when they're promoted it's like they've run into a brick wall. And when you look at Grissom's 2022 game log, he got off to a tremendous start, but at a certain point the pitchers seemed to figure him out.

He's was 21 and rushed to the bigs, of course they figured him out.
    This by no means guarantees he will ever figure it out but it's way too early to start judging him too. I think as fans we expect players to just come up and immediately be good.

Progress is never linear, just look at how guys like Pedrioa, JBJ, and Duran broke into the bigs. Even a guy like Xander Bogaerts had a sophmore slump and took him over 600 ab's until he turned into the player he really was.

Deity

He just had a bad stretch for those last 5 games, which every hitter has. His BABIP splits were fairly normal at the end of that year, so it’s also arguable he started off very lucky and it just evened out over time. Basically, he was due for a slump. Given that he actually struck out much less in that slump than in the rest of the season, it does seem unlikely that pitchers suddenly figured him out. Just that stuff he hit that found grass the week before didn’t find any that week…

He's was 21 and rushed to the bigs, of course they figured him out.
    This by no means guarantees he will ever figure it out but it's way too early to start judging him too. I think as fans we expect players to just come up and immediately be good.
    I'd say some of the expectations of Grissom were put on him by the organization. They traded Chris Sale for him and penciled him as the 2024 second baseman. We heard stories about how he was a star in the making.

How much of a leash are they prepared to give him in a season that supposedly matters?

With Hamilton suddenly hitting so well, they now have options.

Deity
    We’re judging the guy after 65 PA and already calling him a failure (See Jeter Downs comp above). The 2007 ROY/2008 MVP Dustin Pedroia looked like crap for those first 98 PA in 2006 as well…

He just had a bad stretch for those last 5 games, which every hitter has. His BABIP splits were fairly normal at the end of that year, so it’s also arguable he started off very lucky and it just evened out over time. Basically, he was due for a slump. Given that he actually struck out much less in that slump than in the rest of the season, it does seem unlikely that pitchers suddenly figured him out. Just that stuff he hit that found grass the week before didn’t find any that week…
    What about the stretch of 50+ games without a long ball? That's something no one seems to be talking about.

We’re judging the guy after 65 PA and already calling him a failure (See Jeter Downs comp above). The 2007 ROY/2008 MVP Dustin Pedroia looked like crap for those first 98 PA in 2006 as well…
    True, but unfortunately Grissom's numbers are so epically bad it's hard not to fixate on them. They're worse than Dalbec's, and Dalbec's 2024 sample was enough to convince everyone that he's just not a major league hitter.

Deity
    we’re judging the guy after 65 pa and already calling him a failure (see jeter downs comp above). The 2007 roy/2008 mvp dustin pedroia looked like crap for those first 98 pa in 2006 as well…
    nnnnn. 🤭🙈🤮

Pedroia benefited to some extent from having his adjustment period at the end of a lost 2006 season and then the first month of the 2007 season. Then he caught fire.

Deity
    What about the stretch of 50+ games without a long ball? That's something no one seems to be talking about.
    What about it?

It covers parts of 3 seasons and about 150+ PA. His Stat Cast indicates he would have 1-2 HRs at Fenway in that stretch, but i think we expected him to be more than a 6 HR guy over a full season.

One issue with Grissom to date is he isn’t much of an exit velocity guy. And if you’re not going to hit the ball with authority, you do need to walk more than he does and probably strike out less.

But again - still SSS. Numbers spread across multiple seasons are not meaningless, but not necessarily representative since we don’t know if all other things (health, quality of opponent, etc.) are equal…