Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grissom Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    These are tough calls. The earlier you sign them the cheaper, but there's also the chance they never live up.
    They weren't cheap though! There isn't any cost savings with the extensions offered unless Bello and Rafaela beat expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    After less than 2 months on Rafaela?

lol!

Bello is doing worse than I hoped for in his 8 GS sample size.

Whoop-Dee- freaking- do
    Why extend him for near Strider money? Doesn't make sense.

Why extend Rafaela if he hasn't shown he can even hit at the MLB level? Glove first guys are cheap as Hell.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Why extend Rafaela if he hasn't shown he can even hit at the MLB level? Glove first guys are cheap as Hell.
    Im not saying I’m happy with the amounts, but it is way to early to know.

Your opinion is valid, especially on the dollar amounts, but I like locking up promising young players, knowing some will not work out.

I wish we had locked up Casas, Houck and Crawford early, but there were doubts about them, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    They weren't cheap though! There isn't any cost savings with the extensions offered unless Bello and Rafaela beat expectations.
    Doesn't Rafaela only need to be a 1.0 fWAR centerfielder to beat expectations?

I think he can at least do that...

Once a young player proves he can hit, the price goes way up.

That is a valid reason, right?

Deity

Glove first guys are very cheap, and clearly they think he will be much more. But I think there is also the thought that he will be elite defensively even among the glove first guys.

And some of those glove-first guys like Kiermeier are signing for a higher AAV than Rafaela, and those guys are on the downside of their careers.

They could have waited, but if Cedddane did become even a league-average hitter, do you think he signs the same extension? I mean, he might. But I am not so sure his agent does not value him higher...

Deity

The bat-first players who got early extensions - Singleton, Kingery, Chourio, even Corbin Carroll - also all look questionable now or in hindsight. Paying for the glove is safer. But it's not unreasonable to question it, either...

Deity
    I saw an opinion somewhere saying the Sox should have given Bello's extension to Crawford instead. Speaking as a pro-Crawford extension guy, that is a remarkably impulsive call. By the end of the year, I would expect Bello to justify this extension more than Crawford would...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The bat-first players who got early extensions - Singleton, Kingery, Chourio, even Corbin Carroll - also all look questionable now or in hindsight. Paying for the glove is safer. But it's not unreasonable to question it, either...
    Yup. These types of signings are gambles but less costly than gambles on Story, Yoshida or adding all the one year signings up.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    These are tough calls. The earlier you sign them the cheaper, but there's also the chance they never live up.
    I like the idea of signing them early to cheaper deals and letting the ones that work out justify the ones that don't...

Deity
    I don't have a problem with the Gio signing. File that under shit happens.
    I don’t have a problem with the signing either, but it just doesn’t make sense if you are trying to save money to just shave $10M on Sale, but go out, and sign Gio for $18M.

Deity
    Plus the gripe is focused around no one else apparently wanting him.

Giolito signed on January 3rd. The pitching market outside of Yamamoto and Nola had barely budged. Giolito wasn’t going to be ignored forever, and if the Sox waited the price could have easily gone up as alternatives dwindled…
    No Gio wasn’t going to be ignored forever, but maybe you could have got him signed for less money. I DOUBT very much the price would have gone up. He basically finished last season as a batting practice pitcher serving up HR balls.

Doesn't Rafaela only need to be a 1.0 fWAR centerfielder to beat expectations?

I think he can at least do that...
    The expectations are that he would be paid 750k for the next 3 years. If he went to ARB, he's not getting 8M for his current production or even 1 fWAR.
    I get MV Pee.

Plus the gripe is focused around no one else apparently wanting him.

Giolito signed on January 3rd. The pitching market outside of Yamamoto and Nola had barely budged. Giolito wasn’t going to be ignored forever, and if the Sox waited the price could have easily gone up as alternatives dwindled…
    The gripe is the opt-out, which obviously Giolito would only take if he bounced back and was good. It defies logic that a club so desperate for dependable starting pitchers that are also good would agree to let him go -- since no one in the industry or here on fan boards expected the Red Sox to pay him even more than $19 million per for multiple more years (which would be more than Texas pays Eovaldi, one of the greatest postseason pitchers of the century).

That clause is what makes the whole deal so suspicious, and reeks of bridgework. If the Red Sox didn't really expect a guy with a 5 ERA the past two years to be that good, they knew he wouldn't opt out, which means that they were just settling for someone to wear the jersey, take a regular turn on the mound, and fill out a starting nine so they could sell tickets to diehards and out-of-town fans visiting the Fenway experience.

Giolito had it made, and still does: $39 million, no matter how bad he was... with the outside chance to make tens of millions more -- in some other city -- if his elbow could just handle one season of Bailey magic. Maybe it's next year.

Way up? If he could hit 750, it'd be fine for the extension as it might meet the ARB projection. Anything less is throwing money away.
    I get MV Pee.