Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximizing value - The Red Sox should sell high on Jarren Duran

Maximizing value - The Red Sox should sell high on Jarren Duran

He is already turning 28 and not as young people may think. He is eligible for arbitration and has had mental health issues and is hard to rely on. Maybe not at the deadline, but certainly in the off season he should be dealt now before he has to be paid.

He reminds me of Jackie Bradley Jr who the Sox should’ve moved on way earlier than they did, he’ll have value around the league now that he can play defense at a high level. I just don’t think his ceiling is that high

Exciting. Good player. Does he fit the timeline? Not really. Would
    Someone overpay? I think so

He is a 4 year arbitration guy. So the Sox has another 4 years of team control.

He has improved his defense immensely. I believe the management loves his athleticism.

He has shown he can play everyday. He may not be 'young' but having control of his 29-32 years mean he should be at the top of his game.

I would not trade him.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

How does anyone know we would be selling high on Duran?

And if we are, why would anyone think their personal assesment of his value is superior to the professional scouting department of an entire MLB organization?

You don't go trading away young talent, not when you desperately lack that. Now, in a few years when guys like Anthony have broken into the bigs and the outfield gets crowded it might make a lot more sense to trade Duran, or someone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    How does anyone know we would be selling high on Duran?
    Exactly.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I believe the 2023-2024 Duran is the one that will continue on into the near future (next 3-4 years.)

We all remember the old Duran, always tweaking his swing or stance and bumbling around on D, but we should remember that he started at 2B.

I think he is for real, now, but of course, this stretch could be the outlier.

With O'Neill becoming a FA, I'd keep Duran, Ref & Abreu. (Rafaela is not going anywhere.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Exactly.
    Agreed.

Maybe memories of Jacoby are too strong.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    He is already turning 28 and not as young people may think. He is eligible for arbitration and has had mental health issues and is hard to rely on. Maybe not at the deadline, but certainly in the off season he should be dealt now before he has to be paid.

He reminds me of Jackie Bradley Jr who the Sox should’ve moved on way earlier than they did, he’ll have value around the league now that he can play defense at a high level. I just don’t think his ceiling is that high

Exciting. Good player. Does he fit the timeline? Not really. Would
    Someone overpay? I think so
    you're out of your fucking mind.

He's cheap for the next few years. Enjoy him as long as he's playing well. Guys like him don't typically age well so just keep him around until FA.

Unless you're getting an ace back, why would you move him at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's cheap for the next few years. Enjoy him as long as he's playing well. Guys like him don't typically age well so just keep him around until FA.

It wi9ll be interesting to see how the OF plays out.

Duran, Rafaela and Abreu are all under team control for the next 4 seasons. Plus Roman Anthony figures to knock on the door soon, and probably some other outfielders in the system can make themselves known. It's possible someone from this Sox outfield is not here as soon as next year (not counting O'Neill, who is likely gone after this season)...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It wi9ll be interesting to see how the OF plays out.

Duran, Rafaela and Abreu are all under team control for the next 4 seasons. Plus Roman Anthony figures to knock on the door soon, and probably some other outfielders in the system can make themselves known. It's possible someone from this Sox outfield is not here as soon as next year (not counting O'Neill, who is likely gone after this season)...
    Duran - LF
    Rafaela - CF
    Anthony - RF
    Abreu - 4th OFer
    Refsnyder - 5th OFer

The only near term filler from the minors would possibly be Lugo, but that guy has had a very volatile development track and his defense is really LF only at this point. Castro, Bleis and others are still in A ball and lower with uncertain timetables and projections.
    I get MV Pee.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

But they're usually mighty productive into at least their early 30's.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    But they're usually mighty productive into at least their early 30's.
    He'll be 32 after his last year of arbitration. I expect a decline around then for him at least in terms of his speed, which is his greatest asset.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Duran - LF
    Rafaela - CF
    Anthony - RF
    Abreu - 4th OFer
    Refsnyder - 5th OFer

The only near term filler from the minors would possibly be Lugo, but that guy has had a very volatile development track and his defense is really LF only at this point. Castro, Bleis and others are still in A ball and lower with uncertain timetables and projections.
    If the Sox can stay within striking distance and actually decide to be buyers, Lugo is the prime sell high candidate right now...

Deity

Even if it is not an ace per se, if the Sox can get a controllable SP, is he worth a deal?

With BTV going to a pay model, I don't know the values right now. But if you can get a 2-3 starter with 3 years of control, do you pull the trigger? Some suggestions - Mackenzie Gore? Alek Manoah? Nick Lodolo? Josiah Gray? Reid Detmers?

These are all pitchers who reach free agency one year prior to Duran, and are all varying degrees of good but none would be considered ace level today. Not sure what teams would actually want Jarren, however. But I am not asking if those teams would pull the trigger...

Trading Duran, who is perhaps the most exciting player on the team and one of the best defensive OF's in the league and who is being paid the league minimum, really makes a lot of sense. Nonsense.