Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Are the extensions good or bad?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Both extensions are good for the Sox

6 46.15%
  • Both extensions are overpays

4 30.77%
  • Bello’s is good, Rafaela’s is an overpay

3 23.08%
  • Bello’s an overpay, Rafaela’s is good

0 0%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bello and Rafaela Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Casas's comments on his extension negotiations didn't bother me. He said what they offered wasn't anything "enticing". He then went on to acknowledge that he needed to become a better all-around player and so on, kind of explaining why the offer wasn't that high. He seems like a pretty open and honest type to me.
    or more likely he wasn't prepared to accept the team's "club friendly" offer

Deity
    Casas had an OPS+ of 137 in March-April/24.
    I can dial back on his April struggles, but I still think Houck is a more urgent extension candidate…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I can dial back on his April struggles, but I still think Houck is a more urgent extension candidate…
    I want to say Crawford is as well. My wanting to extend him in March now might be too late, and a wait-and-see approach, rather than a massive deal based on 9 starts.

Not sure who is a higher extension priority - Casas or Crawford?
    Last edited by notin; 05-19-2024 at 11:51 AM.

But this is a poll started on May 18/24 and that's all the data there is.
    This was meant to be a decision with the info we have today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

When we have limited data, the debate is about the logic of these two extensions and not the results.

I can see an argument that Rafaela was probably not the right candidate. Big extensions for players based on defense are rare, and the only other one that leaps to mind (Seattle’s Evan White) was a massive flop at a much lower cost.

Bello’s $9mill AAV is high leverage reliever/backend starter money. So it’s not a big deal if that’s actually the role he settles into IMO.

And now lock up Houck and Crawford. Casas is being difficult so let him wait and think about how much value injury-prone first basemen with limited defense really have. Even the ones who can hit in April…
    PreARB 9M is vastly different than a guy hitting FA earning 9M.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    This was meant to be a decision with the info we have today.
    I like the new philosophy more than these individual extensions…

Deity
    PreARB 9M is vastly different than a guy hitting FA earning 9M.
    Yes. That kind of money for a free agent is often spent on a much older player whose best seasons are in the rear view mirror…

Deity
    I haven't posted for awhile quite simply because there is very little about this team that excites me at all. I would say that anytime you have young pitching that is even adequate in this day and age maybe you should explore a longer term contract signing. Houck should have been locked up for some time now. Bello being locked up before a workhorse like Houck was silly in my estimation. I'd take a shot at Crawford as well. As for the extension to Rafaela, why? An excellent fielder for sure but what else really? Maybe some day just not to day.Oh yes and for the record, I would never have traded Sale for Grissom. Must be easier these days to find good pitching as opposed to second baseman (sarcasm). I should end this little rant by saying that if they try to lock up any of their young players now, maybe we should be happy that they are at least trying to do something as opposed to nothing.

Man, I like all those guys, but Crawfords delivery really scares me. He won't be a free agent until his age 33 season, I'm good with riding out his team control years.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

I like the new philosophy more than these individual extensions…
    I agree that I like the idea of extensions, but the merit of these two extensions are certainly up for debate.
    I get MV Pee.

Yes. That kind of money for a free agent is often spent on a much older player whose best seasons are in the rear view mirror…
    Whereas allocating 9M on a preARB guy doesn't make a lot of sense if the guy isn't dominating because he should be pulling in 8M less. Where is the cost savings on these two contracts? Bello and Rafaela will have to turn it on considerably to outpace what they would have received in ARB and the first year or two in FA IMO.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I haven't posted for awhile quite simply because there is very little about this team that excites me at all. I would say that anytime you have young pitching that is even adequate in this day and age maybe you should explore a longer term contract signing. Houck should have been locked up for some time now. Bello being locked up before a workhorse like Houck was silly in my estimation. I'd take a shot at Crawford as well. As for the extension to Rafaela, why? An excellent fielder for sure but what else really? Maybe some day just not to day.Oh yes and for the record, I would never have traded Sale for Grissom. Must be easier these days to find good pitching as opposed to second baseman (sarcasm). I should end this little rant by saying that if they try to lock up any of their young players now, maybe we should be happy that they are at least trying to do something as opposed to nothing.
    At SS: -3 DRS, -5 OAA

They are doing a disservice to him right now IMO. However, I was told that he was going to be able to figure out MLB pitching at some point because that's how it's been for him at every level. I just don't see it right now.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Man, I like all those guys, but Crawfords delivery really scares me. He won't be a free agent until his age 33 season, I'm good with riding out his team control years.
    Considering all of the pitching injuries, unless the deal is below market or the guy is an absolute stud, I probably go year to year with pitchers too.
    I get MV Pee.

@SoxNotes
    Ceddanne Rafaela leads the Red Sox with 25 RBI, most among MLB rookies.

With a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, he has driven in at least 1 run in 11 of 15 opportunities.

.417 AVG
    1.083 SLG
    16 RBI

2 home runs
    2 doubles
    1 single
    3 sac flies
    3 RBI groundouts/FC
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    I agree that I like the idea of extensions, but the merit of these two extensions are certainly up for debate.
    Bello - good.

Rafaela - probably a bit too early. Even if he takes over CF, there is a good chance he is Darren Lewis 2.0, but now he is one with a rather hefty contract...