Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5/8 @ Braves

Schreiber, Bernardino and Weissert were never prospects in this system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And this bothered me all off-season because MLB arms like Eric Lauer, Domingo German, Jake Odorizzi, Zack Davies, Daulton Jeffries, and Adrian Sampson all signed minor league deals. Opportunity was there...
    With German, I can see why the Sox passed due to PR reasons.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Schreiber, Bernardino and Weissert were never prospects in this system.
    Neither was Whitlock, but he and Bernardino were technically prospects when we got them, according to SP's.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Neither was Whitlock, but he and Bernardino were technically prospects when we got them, according to SP's.
    Seems like everybody gets to make up their own definition of "prospect". Bernardino was 30 when he threw his first major league pitch. The Red Sox are the fourth organization he's been with.

Cam Booser must be a prospect too, I guess.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    With German, I can see why the Sox passed due to PR reasons.
    Fair point. Of course, I named 5 others they passed on who, as far as we know, do not have any issues related to drugs, alcohol and physical abuse. The worst of the bunch is probably Jeffries, but he makes sense given the number of bullpen games the Sox have had already into the season...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seems like everybody gets to make up their own definition of "prospect". Bernardino was 30 when he threw his first major league pitch. The Red Sox are the fourth organization he's been with.
    I don't consider Bernardino, Schreiber, Criswell, or Weissert "prospects", but not every new pitcher has to be a prospect. These 4 were all older pitchers all pulled off the scrap heap who proved useful. With Weissert, that probably only applies if jacko was right about him being a DFA candidate...

Deity

Berbardino isn't a prospect. But his story about how he got to the majors is pretty crazy. He couldn't even get division colleges interested in him, let alone professional teams. And his rejections went on for years.

Booser is another cool story considering all the accidents and injuries...

Berbardino isn't a prospect. But his story about how he got to the majors is pretty crazy. He couldn't even get division colleges interested in him, let alone professional teams. And his rejections went on for years.

Booser is another cool story considering all the accidents and injuries...
    Booser may be the only player ever to hit his professional ceiling before he got back into pro baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Whitlock was a prospect as he was taken in the Rule 5 draft and had never played in MLB before.

Bernardino had played in MLB and was over 30. Unlike Whitlock, he was never "ranked" in the system.

Is Jamie Westbrook considered a Sox prospect? I'd say no. He's just a AAA journeyman. If he makes it to the show and "graduates" he'd show up the same as Bernardino.
    I get MV Pee.

Fair point. Of course, I named 5 others they passed on who, as far as we know, do not have any issues related to drugs, alcohol and physical abuse. The worst of the bunch is probably Jeffries, but he makes sense given the number of bullpen games the Sox have had already into the season...
    I agree with your point and had mentioned something similar previously. I stated that they should have dumped Van Belle (if they had to) to grab Lauer or one of the remaining starters.
    I get MV Pee.

Whitlock was a prospect as he was taken in the Rule 5 draft and had never played in MLB before.

Bernardino had played in MLB and was over 30. Unlike Whitlock, he was never "ranked" in the system.

Is Jamie Westbrook considered a Sox prospect? I'd say no. He's just a AAA journeyman. If he makes it to the show and "graduates" he'd show up the same as Bernardino.

They said he "graduated June 23." I don't recall if they ranked him between 30 and 60.
    I was just reporting that soxprospects counted Bernardino as a prospect.

I didn't say I agreed with soxprospects, and that's why I mentioned the source, when I made the statement.

I'm fine with not counting him, and certainly Schreiber should not have been on my list.

Deity
    I agree with your point and had mentioned something similar previously. I stated that they should have dumped Van Belle (if they had to) to grab Lauer or one of the remaining starters.
    By the end of the offseason, I would have given Lauer a major league deal. He was still out there in late March, and unless the Sox were still trying to work something out with Jordan Montgomery (Ha ha!), there was no reason not to. Especially since Giolito had surgery 10 days before Lauer signed his MiLB deal with Pitt.

Lauer is no rotation-saver, but he was a better option than burning out the bullpen every 5 days...