Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 4/14 Angels @ SOX 1:30 PM

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Of course he is, but most every one (not you) wants to diss Masa as a hitter. I was just saying that there should be more concern about Devers than Masa.
    You mean Devers has a bad shoulder--we think--and Yoshida doesn't and is starting to hit. Fair enough.

CLE scored 3 in the bottom of the 10th to beat NYY 8-7!

Sac fly.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, I got so excited, I forgot he let up a run.
    Remember 'no drama' KOJI?

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Remember 'no drama' KOJI?
    That was unreal.

Papelbon was pretty good at limiting drama, too.

Martin was awesome, last season, but not really as a closer, much.

WOW!

Jansen with an excellent Kimbrell impersonation!
    Between Jansen and Kimbrel , they have 844 career saves. Jansen career ERA 2.5 . Kimbrel - 2.4. Both have career WHIPs of under one. They are two of the best of all time. The drama is mostly in your head.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You mean Devers has a bad shoulder--we think--and Yoshida doesn't and is starting to hit. Fair enough.
    I mean that Devers' shoulder could be a concern all season. I certainly hope not.

Deity
    That was unreal.

Papelbon was pretty good at limiting drama, too.

Martin was awesome, last season, but not really as a closer, much.
    I'm not in favor of drama by the closer, but let's face it--this year Jansen has been successful but less than impressive.

Today he was especially terrible, but then he recovered beautifully. Absolutely no luck in 2 K's.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Between Jansen and Kimbrel , they have 844 career saves. Jansen career ERA 2.5 . Kimbrel - 2.4. Both have career WHIPs of under one. They are two of the best of all time. The drama is mostly in your head.
    That's absurd.

Kimbrell's drama his last year here was real, especially in the 2018 playoffs.
    14 IP
    13 Hits
    9 BB
    3 HBP
    25 men on base in 14 IP (1.786)
    You forgot that drama?

Jansen's drama is real, too.
    5.2 IP
    8 BB

Jansen's 1.276 WHIP with the Sox in 2023 was the worst of his career, and no other year was even close. (1.297 career w BOS, before today's 1 IP and 3 men let on base.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 04-14-2024 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm not in favor of drama by the closer, but let's face it--this year Jansen has been successful but less than impressive.

Today he was especially terrible, but then he recovered beautifully. Absolutely no luck in 2 K's.
    I'm not praising Jansen. I just pointed out his not allowing any runners to score, until 1 today.

4 saves- no blown saves.

Yes, too much drama for my liking. (He did miss a lot of ST'ing, so maybe he can improve on that.)

That's absurd.

Kimbrell's drama his last year here was real, especially in the 2018 playoffs.
    14 IP
    13 Hits
    9 BB
    3 HBP
    25 men on base in 14 IP (1.786)
    You forgot that drama?

Jansen's drama is real, too.
    5.2 IP
    8 BB

Jansen's 1.276 WHIP with the Sox in 2023 was the worst of his career, and no other year was even close. (1.297 career w BOS, before today's 1 IP and 3 men let on base.
    How is it absurd ? I am giving you stats from lengthy careers. You are basing your opinion on small snippets . I could do that with anything . Jansen and Kimbrel are definitely on the back nine of their careers. But they still mostly get the job done. Meanwhile, we see blown saves all around baseball every night. Today, Cleveland blew a save against the Yanks , then the Yanks followed suit and lost. You should be happy to have Kenley closing games.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    That is about as good as this team can play I think. Good win.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Yoshi may be waking up due to the critics from this website. If he can power up a bit it would certainly help his trade value
    Oh right. I'm sure after every game he fires up his translator and goes straight to TalkSox.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Heathcliff Slocumb save....I don't have to explain that to some of you...others look him up.

Deity
    How is it absurd ? I am giving you stats from lengthy careers. You are basing your opinion on small snippets . I could do that with anything . Jansen and Kimbrel are definitely on the back nine of their careers. But they still mostly get the job done. Meanwhile, we see blown saves all around baseball every night. Today, Cleveland blew a save against the Yanks , then the Yanks followed suit and lost. You should be happy to have Kenley closing games.
    Agree he gets the job done: 4/4 so far this season.

But you cannot have watched today's 9th inning without more than a modicum of alarm. He had the bases loaded with no on out on a HBP, a BB, and a single before he got the first out, a sac fly that scored a run and moved the other two to 2d and 3d with just one out. That's pretty freaking precarious.

Then he struck out Rengifo and Trout, which was pretty doggone good. But still . . .

We were clearly talking about Jansen and Kimbrel with the Sox. We did not mention it being about Kimbrel's last few months with us, but I think we both assumed it was understood.

They were both incredibly full of drama with us, not counting Kimbrel in his early time with us.

No doubt, their careers were not filled with drama more than the norm, but Jansen has pitched in 14+ ML seasons.

First 7 seasons:
    0.893 WHIP
    1.93 FIP
    5.3 K/BB

Next 6 seasons
    0.988 WHIP
    3.02 FIP
    4.4 K/BB

1+ seasons with BOS
    1.297 WHIP (before todays 3 men on base in 1 IP)
    3.76 FIP
    2.5 K/BB
    Clearly, he has dropped off in effectiveness:
    26 BB and 3 HBP in 50 IP w BOS is drama.

Kimbrel before BOS (6 seasons)
    0.927 WHIP
    1.72 FIP
    4.3 K/BB

First 2 seasons with Sox
    0.861 WHIP
    2.07 FIP
    4.8 K/BB

2018:
    0.995 WHIP
    3.13 FIP
    3.1 K/BB

2018 Playoffs
    1.59 WHIP (5.91 ERA)
    1.8K/BB (10 BB+HBP and 10 Ks)
    That was drama galore.

We are talking drama, not happiness or save %.