Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: April 10 Baltimore at Boston

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I keep pointing out the recent season-ending injury to Story has a bearing on the mood and you keep dismissing it.

Also, before this series started I said the 7-3 start meant jack, so I wasn't really waving the pom-poms.
    I do get the Story Land angle, but the fact he is shut down for the season doesn’t come as any great surprise. Pivetta being out hurts too, but I think if the Red Sox hadn’t lost, the lead, and the game last night the way they did the mood wouldn’t be as bad today. At least until the next loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    As I've said too many times already, Story was/is darn good at SS, but he could not prevent all the bonehead plays, leading to unearned runs, by the rest of the defense.

Rafaela, for example, has been awfully good in CF, but he also dropped an easy pop fly. When that combined with Valdez's dropping a throw to 2b, the Sox ended up yielding 4 unearned runs on a grand slam that never should have happened. The Sox lost 2-1 on 2 unearned runs caused by Devers misplay of a high hopper. Abreu let a slow roller got through his legs in RF, which advance 2 runners to 2b and 3b--allowed another unearned run.
    Rafaela makes up for his errors by making plays very few other CF'er make or even come close to making.

Valdez won't. Devers makes some nice plays, but makes way too many throwing errors, and a few too many booted easy outs.

Casas has not looked better than '23.

Duran looks better than the pre-2023 Duran, still.

O'Neill has looked good, except for the booted ball and maybe another shaky play or two.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    I see the angst from last night's loss has carried over to today. Nasty comments and dire predications abound.

I'm watching the Masters, which is my fav because it's gorgeous and competitive at the same time. The crowd at August National is massive and the azaleas are in full bloom.

Tiger's 1 under after 2, despite on the 2d hole having to get out of the woods by reversing a club and swinging from the left side--a perfect 40 yard chip into the fairway. He will be lucky to make it through the first 2 rounds because of the walking required.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Rafaela makes up for his errors by making plays very few other CF'er make or even come close to making.

Valdez won't. Devers makes some nice plays, but makes way too many throwing errors, and a few too many booted easy outs.

Casas has not looked better than '23.

Duran looks better than the pre-2023 Duran, still.

O'Neill has looked good, except for the booted ball and maybe another shaky play or two.
    I completely agree Rafaela overall is a plus defender, and that's kind of my point. As good as he is, he still leads the team in errors--one of which was simply lack of focus--and he still contributed to 4 unearned runs.

I'm now thinking/claiming this lineup lacks focus in the field and at the plate.

The rotation absolutely is focused and is pitching well beyond their usual capability. Combined, the 5 of them are getting paid $14M this year--less than the Sox are still paying Sale, who is pitching for the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I completely agree Rafaela overall is a plus defender, and that's kind of my point. As good as he is, he still leads the team in errors--one of which was simply lack of focus--and he still contributed to 4 unearned runs.

I'm now thinking/claiming this lineup lacks focus in the field and at the plate.

The rotation absolutely is focused and is pitching well beyond their usual capability. Combined, the 5 of them are getting paid $14M this year--less than the Sox are still paying Sale, who is pitching for the Braves.
    I caution making decisions based on 12 games.

I also think Rafaela has probably saved more than the 4 runs with his D than the 4 that scored after his errors.

Some errors end up hurting more than others due to how many men were on base and how many hits happened after the error.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    " Be happy" is always good advice.
    Yes. Yes it is.