Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: April 10 Baltimore at Boston

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    A full year from Duran and O'Neill might make a dent.
    I wouldn't count on a full year from O'Neill. Duran is the dropoff from Turner (23 HR, 86 R, 96 RsBI for the old folx). Duran is hot now, but I think he'll cool off at some point and will end up below Turner's 114 wRC+ from last year (it was closer to 130 during August).
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    I'm expecting overall improvements from last season from Casas, 2B (once Grissom gets going, and it was a black hole last year, so no problem) and Yoshida.
    Interesting that you expect offensive improvements, but assume the starting rotation can't improve.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    I'm betting that Rafaela will explode for a 2.5-3 month stretch after making some adjustments, until pitchers figure out another flaw to exploit. He's not Javier Baez up there, and the swing speed and power generation are there.
    He has the same flaw he's always had. He chases everything near the plate. I wouldn't feed him any good pitches if I was the opposition. He swings at balls 6"s out of the zone every game. This causes him to either K or make lots of weak contact. He's never been able to fix that. We've been saying this for a long while now. More likely he has 2-3 good weeks than 2-3 good months.
    I get MV Pee.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He has the same flaw he's always had. He chases everything near the plate. I wouldn't feed him any good pitches if I was the opposition. He swings at balls 6"s out of the zone every game. This causes him to either K or make lots of weak contact. He's never been able to fix that. We've been saying this for a long while now. More likely he has 2-3 good weeks than 2-3 good months.
    Yeah, but something changes in his swing profile or selection after he acclimates to every level, and he starts producing. I expect the same to happen here, as he starts hitting some pitches slightly out of the zone that he's sitting on with authority, then pitchers will change pitch sequencing and he will fall off a cliff unless his swing selection actually improves, much like JBJ before him. Even though JBJ was less pitch selection and more moving parts with his swing, it's a valid comparison.
    WAR is good for something.

Interesting that you expect offensive improvements, but assume the starting rotation can't improve.
    You think the rotation can improve?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Oh no, I think it's already improved. But I think lack of depth and shitty defense will doom it. My bad if that's what it read like.
    WAR is good for something.

You think the rotation can improve?
    From what they were in 2023? Yes.
    I get MV Pee.

From what they were in 2023? Yes.
    Oh, OK. I thought the talk was about Rafaela improving on his start to 2024.

I guess his 74 wRC+ in 2023 needed improvement, as well, so I get your point, now.

I think we all expect the rotation to come back down to earth, but we have differing opinions on it being better or worse than 2023's. It certainly has upside potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Oddly considering how the Sox field, it is a team of DH's with a DH that can't hit. Go figure.
    Did a lot of figuring and can only conclude that you are correct. We know that Yoshida was not totally overmatched in the first half last year, including a bit of power. But he also went through many stretches of the topped, soft groundball to the right side , especially in the second half.

The problem, imo, is that he either doesn't know how or refuses to adapt to the pitching or his swing path. Duran is hitting over .300 because he is going to left field a lot, which includes ground ball through the over-shifted infielders. I'm sure the coaches are talking to him, but how much does he or his interpreter get and understand. The DH role may not suit him at all mentally, and given his culture. The placement there may have been a huge disrespect/insult/loss of face which Japanese give much weight to.
    Last edited by vegasbob; 04-11-2024 at 11:47 AM.

The unconditional love for Missin' Grissom continues to flow like the proverbial fountain of youth for a phuquer who cannot get on the field. I hope he is great and I am not knocking his POTENTIAL but until he shows up he is useless.
    Last edited by vegasbob; 04-11-2024 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    The unconditional love for Missin' Grissom continues to flow like the proverbial of youth for a phuquer who cannot get on the field. I hope he is great and I am not knocking his POTENTIAL but until he shows up he is useless.
    Who is giving "unconditional love" to Grissom?

Deity
    Who is giving "unconditional love" to Grissom?
    You give unconditional love to pretty much all prospects. Seabold was one of your favorites.

Pessimism > Optimism. Probably rightly so.

There are usually some ebbs and flows to a baseball season. It is way too early in the season for all of the mood swings. Be patient. The Sox just dropped two games to a team that is considered to be one of the best. It's not a disaster. Overall, the Sox look to be a better team than most people expected. Be happy.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    there are usually some ebbs and flows to a baseball season. It is way too early in the season for all of the mood swings. Be patient. The sox just dropped two games to a team that is considered to be one of the best. It's not a disaster. Overall, the sox look to be a better team than most people expected. Be happy.
    lol
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.