Register now to remove this ad

Page 381 of 416 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383391 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 6228

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Right, and Chris Sale is just any 35 year old pitcher, just like he's showing...

There's no perfect comp for Sale, but you've got Tyler Glasnow and Jacob deGrom as examples of guys coming off more than one injury-decimated season, and the going rate was pretty darn high.
    If you look at Sale's Most Similar By Age, it's been guys like Stephen Strasburg and Lance Lynn lately. Not perfect comps, but not ridiculous ones either.

Tyler Glasnow might be a ridiculous comparison. He is not only 5 years younger, but also only made $5.3mill last season. And while he did return a top 100 prospect to Tampa, that pitcher has already had one TJ surgery himself...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If you look at Sale's Most Similar By Age, it's been guys like Stephen Strasburg and Lance Lynn lately. Not perfect comps, but not ridiculous ones either.

Tyler Glasnow might be a ridiculous comparison. He is not only 5 years younger, but also only made $5.3mill last season. And while he did return a top 100 prospect to Tampa, that pitcher has already had one TJ surgery himself...
    Yeah but what about Glasnow's injury history? I thought that was part of the equation here. The guy had reached 100 innings twice and his career high is 120.

Also no idea what his salary last year has to do with it. The real point is how much money the Dodgers invested in him.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah but what about Glasnow's injury history? I thought that was part of the equation here. The guy had reached 100 innings twice and his career high is 120.

Also no idea what his salary last year has to do with it. The real point is how much money the Dodgers invested in him.
    Salary is a big factor in the price tag of a player in a trade. You do know that. You were responding to a post about "going rate."

Glasnow does have a pretty questionable injury history. But as he is significantly younger, some teams might think that makes him less of a risk over a 35yo pitcher. But worth noting - the Dodgers gave up a younger pitcher who already had TJ to acquire him. (Although I'm fairly certain about half the pitchers in the Dodger system have already had one TJ.)

The Dodgers did give him a very heavy contract. Five years - $136mill. Certainly shorter than a pitcher with less injury history would have gotten, but it is for a notable AAV. And it still might burn them.

I mean, the Dodgers did have a chance to get in on Sale. and clearly wouldn't even go as high as Vaughn Grissom...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Sale didn’t get a three year contract from the Braves. He got a two year contract with a club option for a third year. He was due $27.5M this year, but $10M of that was to be deferred to 2039. Now he gets $16M this year, which is actually a pay cut, and the Red Sox are paying the Braves $17M, so it’s a free deal for the Braves. Next year the Braves pay him $22M, so Sale ends up with $38M guaranteed instead of $27.5M guaranteed, which $10M was deferred until 2039.
    I'm sure you're right, but the point remains Sale got what he wanted, the Braves got what they wanted, and the Sox got what they wanted. Giolito was supposed to be a younger Sale--and he kind of is in that he underwent almost-TJ surgery without pitching a single inning this season.

In the week ahead, the Sox have three at home with the A's and three at home with K.C. The Yankees have three on the road with the Rays and three on the road with the Orioles. It is conceivable that the Sox could catch the Yankees by the All Star break.
    Old school is good school.

Conceivable, but unlikely. You could sell me on the Sox going 4-2 and the Yanks going 2-4 over the next 6.

Putting more room between the Sox and Royals in the Wild Card race before the trade deadline may be more important than catching the Yanks.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Conceivable, but unlikely. You could sell me on the Sox going 4-2 and the Yanks going 2-4 over the next 6.

Putting more room between the Sox and Royals in the Wild Card race before the trade deadline may be more important than catching the Yanks.
    As it stands now, both the Yankees and Royals are competitors for wild card slots…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    In the week ahead, the Sox have three at home with the A's and three at home with K.C. The Yankees have three on the road with the Rays and three on the road with the Orioles. It is conceivable that the Sox could catch the Yankees by the All Star break.
    Unfortunately the Red Sox play better on the road than they do at home. They also pitch a lot better on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    As it stands now, both the Yankees and Royals are competitors for wild card slots…
    Are the Sox able to affect the Yanks W/L over the next 6 games or no?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Are the Sox able to affect the Yanks W/L over the next 6 games or no?
    They don’t have to. They’ve already done that the past few weeks. It’s someone else’s turn like Baltimore now.

Wingenter added to BOS
    Uwasawa DFA'd
    Booser sent to WOO
    I get MV Pee.

Westbrook to BOS
    Valdez to WOO
    I get MV Pee.

They don’t have to. They’ve already done that the past few weeks. It’s someone else’s turn like Baltimore now.
    Sox don't play the Yankees right now. Is it more important to put space between them and the Royals (who they play) or catch up to the Yankees?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Westbrook to BOS
    Valdez to WOO
    Is Westbrook the RHB being added?

Deity
    Sox don't play the Yankees right now. Is it more important to put space between them and the Royals (who they play) or catch up to the Yankees?
    I get that point. To me every game counts, and it’s still to early to focus on standings except for the trade deadline coming up. The schedule really gets tougher after the AS break.