Register now to remove this ad

Page 373 of 376 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 5636

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Not sure calling Breslow an idiot at this stage gives you much credibility.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Was gaspar a bres-slow addition?
    Bloom selected him in minor league rule 5 in’23.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Breslow in my opinion has been awful. I can't even blame JH because, although he has certainly placed limits on contracts, especially long and big contracts for starters, the Sox payroll this year is still $182M, 11th biggest in MLB. Breslow made things worse by dumping Sale, continuing to pay him $17M to star for the Braves, and acquiring Giolito for 2 years, one of which is shot, and $38M. Grissom has shown nothing, plus he seems to have bad hamstrings.

However, as I've said too many times, this year's Sox no-names have been terrific. Houck is a true ace and better than Sale, and Duran has the 4th highest WAR in MLB among lineup players. So the screw-ups have not hurt much.

Right now I think Cora is driving the train--he and his excellent pitching coach--which is why Cora has been saying the FO and the owner need to reinforce success by bringing in some help this month. Even an idiot like Breslow should be able to find a deal or two that will help the Sox.
    The Sale trade looking bad after a half season should not make any GM bad.

Was he supposed to know Sale was going to be great at age 35 and Grissom would be out most of the time and suck the rest of the time?

Was he supposed to know Gio would get hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not sure calling Breslow an idiot at this stage gives you much credibility.
    The Bailey hire, alone, cannot make Brez “awful.”

Then, there is Slateb, O’Niell, Weissert w Fitts, Criswell, Romy and others.

I will say, like Bloom, his bigger deals look the worst, so far: Gio and Sale>Grissom.

In mlb, can a dtarting pitcher play another position then return to the mound later?

In mlb, can a dtarting pitcher play another position then return to the mound later?
    No pitcher can return to the mound once removed or moved to another position.

At some point???

Criswell> Horn
    Grissom> Romy G
    Casas> Smith
    Hendriks > Anderson

Mata is out of options> DFA or trade or replace a new IL pitcher?

I sure have. Sox lost tonight because Duran couldn't throw to home plate to save his life.

Oh, wait. He ran hard to grab that single on the run and then made an absolutely perfect throw on one hop to beat the runner--from centerfield, yet.
    I was working and watched the game on delay. I had a good laugh as I watched that throw hours after making my comment. But 1 throw does not offset what I have seen all season. What a great game that was last night, one of the best of the season.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Breslow in my opinion has been awful. I can't even blame JH because, although he has certainly placed limits on contracts, especially long and big contracts for starters, the Sox payroll this year is still $182M, 11th biggest in MLB. Breslow made things worse by dumping Sale, continuing to pay him $17M to star for the Braves, and acquiring Giolito for 2 years, one of which is shot, and $38M. Grissom has shown nothing, plus he seems to have bad hamstrings.

However, as I've said too many times, this year's Sox no-names have been terrific. Houck is a true ace and better than Sale, and Duran has the 4th highest WAR in MLB among lineup players. So the screw-ups have not hurt much.

Right now I think Cora is driving the train--he and his excellent pitching coach--which is why Cora has been saying the FO and the owner need to reinforce success by bringing in some help this month. Even an idiot like Breslow should be able to find a deal or two that will help the Sox.
    Sir, do you believe a GM's only job is to sign players and make trades?

This team is 6th in MLB in ERA with what many of us believed was a pitching staff comprised of spare parts. The team is 7th in OPS even though they have missed their second-best hitter (Casas), arguably third-best hitter (Abreu) and highly-paid SS (Story) for a large part of the season.

This team has made strides in both its offensive and pitching approach, coaching and general infrastructure. You can't gush about the baseball the Sox are playing with largely the same pieces as last year, then whine about the executive who built the current pitching and coaching infrastructure pretty much from the ground up. Here in the Dominican Republic we call that talking out of both sides of your mouth.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    At some point???
    Criswell> Horn
    Grissom> Romy G
    Casas> Smith
    Hendriks > Anderson
    Romy has of course played VASTLY better than Grissom...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Sir, do you believe a GM's only job is to sign players and make trades?

This team is 6th in MLB in ERA with what many of us believed was a pitching staff comprised of spare parts. The team is 7th in OPS even though they have missed their second-best hitter (Casas), arguably third-best hitter (Abreu) and highly-paid SS (Story) for a large part of the season.

This team has made strides in both its offensive and pitching approach, coaching and general infrastructure. You can't gush about the baseball the Sox are playing with largely the same pieces as last year, then whine about the executive who built the current pitching and coaching infrastructure pretty much from the ground up. Here in the Dominican Republic we call that talking out of both sides of your mouth.
    Max does say some remarkably indefensible things.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    No pitcher can return to the mound once removed or moved to another position.
    This is an interesting one - based on my cursory research it appears that at one time it could be done, and I can't find much clear info on when the rule was changed, if it was.

Deity
    When the Yankees left Boston on June 16 they had a 11 game lead over Boston in the loss column. Now 3 weeks leader that 11 game lead is down to 4. Big bounce back from the Houckster tonight to keep the Yankees reeling, and to do it at the Stadium would make it all the better. Full Throttle, or sham, sham, sham? Who will turn out to be right?

Absolutely incredible how the two teams have reversed course since the Verdugo Game.

It's a good thing YNkees picked up Soto. Their offense would have been horrendous without him.

How can they NOT sign him when he becomes a FA?