Register now to remove this ad

Page 370 of 371 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371 LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 5562

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Buying is only a good idea when your CBO knows what he is doing, and ours dumped Sale while also paying $17M of his salary this year. Then he acquired Giolito for $38M for 2 years, one of which is already gone and the other is suspect.
    Buying at the deadline is almost always for rentals and rarely for long term improvement.

I hope we end up being buyers, but a lot can happen in the next4 weeks.

If somehow we could find someone to trade us a SPer under control for 2025 and 2026, I’d consider dealing a top prospect, hopefully not from the big 3 or Cespedes and K Campbell.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The more we win, the harder it will be for JH to insist on selling.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Ok but what’s more important here? Winning or Henry selling?

I mean, if we win, isn’t that enough?

Pretty sure JH leaves the deadline decisions up to his CBO. The deadline decisions/indecision are a big reason why Bloom is no longer here.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Very confused and confusing response LOL

Deity
    JH insisting on the Red Sox selling? Why now? He obviously hasn’t done it the last two years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Pretty sure JH leaves the deadline decisions up to his CBO. The deadline decisions/indecision are a big reason why Bloom is no longer here.
    I can’t imagine that Brez would look for that third option in that fork in the road like Bloom did.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    JH insisting on the Red Sox selling? Why now? He obviously hasn’t done it the last two years.
    Yeah, no idea where moon got that from.

Deity
    Yeah, no idea where moon got that from.
    That’s Moon’s normal thought process. Sell, sell, sell to get more suspects.

Nice to see our old friend Iggy off to an amazin' start with the Mets. Not sure why he was on the MLB sidelines so long. Bloom should have signed him last year to play SS.

Deity
    Nice to see our old friend Iggy off to an amazin' start with the Mets. Not sure why he was on the MLB sidelines so long. Bloom should have signed him last year to play SS.
    That was mentioned more than once last year. He’s not as good as he was, but it would have definitely better than the Kike disaster.

Deity
    Very confused and confusing response LOL
    Yeah I misunderstood it at the early hour
    Last edited by notin; Yesterday at 09:15 AM.

Deity
    Buying at the deadline is almost always for rentals and rarely for long term improvement.

I hope we end up being buyers, but a lot can happen in the next4 weeks.

If somehow we could find someone to trade us a SPer under control for 2025 and 2026, I’d consider dealing a top prospect, hopefully not from the big 3 or Cespedes and K Campbell.
    So far I think it is fair to say that the offseason acquisition of starters by both Chaim Bloom and Craig Breslow has been uniformly disastrous. Breslow giving up Sale and plumping down $38M for Giolito is just the latest example.

Midseason deals need not be terrible. Eovaldi was one--2018. So was Schwarber--2021. In both cases the Sox still had the option to keep both of them, for a price of course.

I like this current Sox team despite the weak infield defense and the so-so RISP hitting. The pitching--without Sale, Giolito, Whitlock, et al--is the best it's been in a long time. Even Story on the IL hasn't hurt much because of his weak hitting. Casas is missed, but not his defense. Besides, I continue to believe that the Sox biggest lineup need is a good righty bat because Fenway Park favors righty bats.

I completely agree that, if the Sox stay comfortably above .500 and in the hunt for a wild card slot, they should be buyers later this month. I would love to see Breslow make a deal that isn't idiotic.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Two kinds of winning--before July 31 and after July 31. While a win is a win is a win, it's the wins after July 31 that seem to ensure making it into the postseason.

If the Sox dump Jansen, O'Neill, Pivetta, and whoever on or before July 31, I think that could adversely affect their ability to get to the postseason.

If the Sox keep everyone and maybe add a player or two, that should improve their ability to get to the postseason, but it also means that all three will be free agents at the end of this season and therefore have no trade value.

Right now this Sox team of mostly no-names is pretty likeable, despite the weak defense, etc. Given the losing record at Fenway, I think a good righty bat would help in the stretch run. Same goes for a good arm or two.

I think Jansen's salary of $16M is insane. Last year he was also paid $16M--for 44.2 IP, which translates to $362K per IP. This year so far he's pitched 28.1 innings, so the cost per innings is $285K. But right now I think he is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think Jansen's salary of $16M is insane. Last year he was also paid $16M--for 44.2 IP, which translates to $362K per IP. This year so far he's pitched 28.1 innings, so the cost per innings is $285K. But right now I think he is worth it.
    Edwin Diaz is now the standard-setter for closer contracts - 5 years, $102 million.

In my view it's fair that the highest-paid closers make about half as much as the highest-paid starters.

They only pitch about 1/3 the innings, but the innings are much higher leverage on average, so that justifies the bump to 50%.