Register now to remove this ad

Page 369 of 370 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370 LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 5536

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Grow up.
    Please, this is the second time you’ve done this. Red will spend all day attacking multiple posters and then you come in and take his side. I don’t care that you think I’m a jerk, but it’s laughable that you can make that statement after hearing him go at everyone all morning.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Some people just don’t think before they post. Or at all.

The concept behind keeping salary is to get a better prospect in return. Which if it’s one year. WTF wouldn’t you do that? O’Neill, Pivetta, Jansen, Martin.

Imagine a contender comes to you, wants one of those guys, but to stay under budget they want you to kick in the money and in return they offer you a better prospect.

If you’re already under the luxury tax, and you’re sellers giving up on the season, why wouldn’t you maximize your return.

Every GM from Bloom to DD would in that scenario.

Pretty sure a700 was referring to the Grest Reset Button trade in which the Sox unloaded AGon, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto’s contracts and got back what turned out to be nothing. The Sox actually did include money in that deal, but that’s besides the point. They spent their massive savings on a slew of short term free agents and won the World Series 14 months later…

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Pretty sure a700 was referring to the Grest Reset Button trade in which the Sox unloaded AGon, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Pinto’s contracts and got back what turned out to be nothing. The Sox actually did include money in that deal, but that’s besides the point. They spent their massive savings on a slew of short term contracts and won the World Series 14 months later…
    That would make more sense.

I’m not sure that’s the same reset, besides some young guys worth being part of a core I guess you could build a package around Yoshida/Devers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This team has been fun to watch a lot of the time. Cora is managing well and the players are busting their asses.

It's the front office that has fucked up once again. They are the failures. Because of their failure, we have the prospect of it making sense for the future of the team to sell off. It sucks.
    I agree 100%.

Nobody wants or enjoys us being sellers, especially multiple years in a row.

I will add that not being sellers, some years, might add to the chances of having another failing season the next year or more.

It sucks even having to entertain the idea of needing to sell to get better next year.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would prefer we do the 'buying' during winter.
    Post of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    This team has no shot. Sell everyone. I hope they don’t keep so much salary like they have been doing to get busted prospects. I’d rather dump the whole salary and get nothing in return like Ben did in 2012.
    I’m assuming you mean no shot at a ring and not the playoffs.

BTW, we did pay the Dodgers several million dollars for several years as part of the mega trade.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Grow up.
    Truth hurts, sometimes, and we all know Hugh was telling it straight.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    dgale loves calling people know it alls and going off on posters who don't agree with his or Old Red's bs takes. They both suck.
    WAR is good for something.

This place could use some moderation from time to time.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Sox losing record at Fenway vs winning on road probably because of lack of good righty bats. Lefty bats normally hit to the largest part of the Fenway outfield—right and center.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This place could use some moderation from time to time.
    that is a fine line though. if people go off on each other i simply ignore those battles

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    that is a fine line though. if people go off on each other i simply ignore those battles
    Ignoring all those posts, or giving them the quick scroll and chuckle, is definitely a sensible approach.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I agree 100%.

Nobody wants or enjoys us being sellers, especially multiple years in a row.

I will add that not being sellers, some years, might add to the chances of having another failing season the next year or more.

It sucks even having to entertain the idea of needing to sell to get better next year.
    I will add that NOT being buyers might add to the chances of having another failing season next year, or more also. It doesn’t suck to entertain the idea of buying to get better for the here, and now, and also next year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I will add that NOT being buyers might add to the chances of having another failing season next year, or more also. It doesn’t suck to entertain the idea of buying to get better for the here, and now, and also next year.
    Buying is only a good idea when your CBO knows what he is doing, and ours dumped Sale while also paying $17M of his salary this year. Then he acquired Giolito for $38M for 2 years, one of which is already gone and the other is suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Buying is only a good idea when your CBO knows what he is doing, and ours dumped Sale while also paying $17M of his salary this year. Then he acquired Giolito for $38M for 2 years, one of which is already gone and the other is suspect.
    There is a lot of luck involved, too.

That’s not to say mistakes were not made. I was not a big Gio fan, but I never expected less than 150 IP, let slo e zero!