Register now to remove this ad

Page 355 of 366 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357365 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 5480

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I like it. You can platoon him with Valdez, actually you could play him at SS and put Hamilton at 2nd when going up against a lefty.
    Hasn't played much SS so I was just sticking him at 2B. Can't say I've seen a memorable Rockies game in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Ballpark Factors for Fenway:
    RHB HR - 19th
    RHB 2B - 7th
    RHB H - 3rd
    LHB HR - 16th
    LHB 2B - 1st
    LHB H -3rd

It's a park to get on base and score runs, but it's not a launching pad for dingers. Especially not a launching pad for homers.
    Unless you're a righty who pulls a lot of high fly balls. Tony C, Boomer (at least in '77), Esasky and Jason Bay for one year, Fisk...

Rico was listed at 175 pounds, Pedroia 170 (both supposedly less than Mookie -- 180 pounds of body by bowling ball!).

Alonso is listed at 245 lbs. Wonder what his career spray chart looks like, super-imposed on Fenway dimensions...

I bet the Sox could get Brendan Rodgers from the Rockies if they wanted and just used him as a platoon guy.
    He's been at a .722 clip, the last 3 years, and his power dropped in these years, too.

I'm not sure that is what we need, but he does kill lefties, so maybe he fits the need. A platoon with Valdez or DHam might work well.

I'm thinking, if we are buyers, we'd look for SP'er depth, so we don't need any more pen games. With Campbell, Wink and Hendriks (Aug 1st?) around, maybe we don't look to add a pen arm.

A lot can happen between now and then, and our needs could change, but as of now, I'd say they are:

1. SP (a solid #3 type or better would be ideal, but perhaps too costly for Brez to get)
    2. RHB who plays 2B or SS
    3. SP depth

Trading a LHB OF for a RHB might be a possibility, but nobody wants to see Abreu or Duran dealt away.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

One thing is for certain, the Sox are playing so well that it keeps some goobers away.
    If the Playoffs started today the Sox would be in the playoffs.

The Sox are a playoff team. Those are the facts....and the facts are undisputed.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He's been at a .722 clip, the last 3 years, and his power dropped in these years, too.

I'm not sure that is what we need, but he does kill lefties, so maybe he fits the need. A platoon with Valdez or DHam might work well.

I'm thinking, if we are buyers, we'd look for SP'er depth, so we don't need any more pen games. With Campbell, Wink and Hendriks (Aug 1st?) around, maybe we don't look to add a pen arm.

A lot can happen between now and then, and our needs could change, but as of now, I'd say they are:

1. SP (a solid #3 type or better would be ideal, but perhaps too costly for Brez to get)
    3. SP depth

Trading a LHB OF for a RHB might be a possibility, but nobody wants to see Abreu or Duran dealt away.
    But he can really hit lefties, which we badly need. He should be dirt cheap as well.

I haven't given up on Vaughn Grissom, but I have for this year, and he's probably best served to be groomed into a utility role.

Buy Rodgers/Alonso and DFA Dalbec/Smith.

Smith has actually been playing much better lately, so perhaps you can trade him, but he's redundant when Casas comes back, and Alonso can DH or split time with Tristan when he does.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Unless you're a righty who pulls a lot of high fly balls. Tony C, Boomer (at least in '77), Esasky and Jason Bay for one year, Fisk...

Rico was listed at 175 pounds, Pedroia 170 (both supposedly less than Mookie -- 180 pounds of body by bowling ball!).

Alonso is listed at 245 lbs. Wonder what his career spray chart looks like, super-imposed on Fenway dimensions...
    The Monster takes away some homeruns, the damn 406 club or whatever they want to call it takes away even more IMO. Superimposing a spray chart won't give you actual homeruns unfortunately.

In 1969, Rico hit 55% at home (22). In 1978, Rice had 61% at home (28). In 2009, only 42% of Bay's homers were at Fenway (15). In 2018, only 41% of Betts' homers were at Fenway (13).

Wade Boggs was a huge opponent of the 406 club back in the 80's after the construction and stated that the wind patters changed how the ball carried.
    I get MV Pee.

3. SP depth

I'm not looking for him to be a fulltime starter, just to split with Valdez or whatever. Just to be a cheap fill in until a better option comes along next year.
    I get MV Pee.

I'm not looking for him to be a fulltime starter, just to split with Valdez or whatever. Just to be a cheap fill in until a better option comes along next year.
    Yes, he'd be a good platoon guy with Valdez and or DHam. I agreed and still do.

If I'm a right handed slugger, I'd prefer playing in Cincy than Fenway.

You can get line drive homers in Cincy, a double at Fenway.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Deity
    Wish there was a nice RHH second baseman on the rental market.
    Brandon Drury?

Struggling with health and at the plate so far this year, but certainly fits the bill otherwise…

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Good thing players don't make the trades.

Was 2023 a fluke for RHB Zack Gelof?

He's really struggling, this year.

Deity
    Was 2023 a fluke for RHB Zack Gelof?

He's really struggling, this year.
    He’s 24 with 536 career PA.

Boy we really like to label them busts quickly ‘round these parts. (Shout out to Vaughn Grissom.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

I was at the Cubs-Mets game last night, watching the defensively ignorant Pete Alonso at 1b. I asked my Baseball Nut Daughter what team Alonso, a player she hates because of his frequent bizarre and often whiny outbursts, would finish the season on.

Seattle seemed like the best fit to her. She didn’t like my suggestion with him staying in New York after his trade. But then, she has a soft spot for Rizzo…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Not Houston? Or the White Sox Guaranteed Rate Field?