Register now to remove this ad

Page 310 of 392 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 5866

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by dannycater View Post
    I'm impressed that the small fan base in here keeps talking like the Sox are relevant. I used to follow the team religiously and then I realized Henry is treating this like a business only. I guess the price paid for past winning/success...not defending JH, just saying he killed it for a lot of long-time fans. Just killed the hopes/expectations and the star power. Wiped it out.
    It was treated like a business before JH, too. Maybe more so, at times.

They never made that one key big purchase to get us over the top. They chose to stay just good enough to keep fan interest.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I hate no game days.

John Henry is not a baseball guy. He can't evaluate ballplayers. That is the G.M.s job. Henry just has to sign the checks. Lately he has become reluctant to do so.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It was treated like a business before JH, too. Maybe more so, at times.

They never made that one key big purchase to get us over the top. They chose to stay just good enough to keep fan interest.
    Absolutely. Hurt some of their better teams to not have the extra star pitcher, extra star hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    John Henry is not a baseball guy. He can't evaluate ballplayers. That is the G.M.s job. Henry just has to sign the checks. Lately he has become reluctant to do so.
    Players have gone unpaid?

Absolutely. Hurt some of their better teams to not have the extra star pitcher, extra star hitter.
    Problem or maybe the difference between pre-Henry and now-Henry is that he established a win first mentality at least it seemed that way even if 2013 was just a bit of good chemistry and not collection of great players much but with great pitching and clutch veterans. Seemed certainly 04,07, and 18 were by products of spending money and having good to great players in the fold including the Killer B's outfield and having good pitching. But past-Henry was about winning to me even with some of the signing flops...this now-Henry is disappointing. It's like you established a big market, winning approach and then disbanded it. So it makes it worse.

How many times were we pretty close to the Yanks, and not only did we not get the big prize FA, the Yanks did, and pulled 2 stars ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think they've offered him a contract and he's turned it down. He's either going to LA or back to tv for a little bit. He's going to get PAID if he takes a coaching gig.
    wouldn't be surprised if the contract Henry offered him was for $50K and some Sonic coupons.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    wouldn't be surprised if the contract Henry offered him was for $50K and some Sonic coupons.
    I mean, depending on the Sonic coupons…

I hate no game days.
    me too

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think the problem is John Henry IS a baseball guy, something corroborated but numerous former employees.

And as he is a baseball guy, he has decided it makes more sense to build his team to capitalize on metrics as opposed to just building it with financial capital.

I mean, he did fire John Farrell after back to back division titles and replaced him with the extremely metric-savvy Alex Cora for a reason, and I doubt that reason related to the entire “winning in spite of him” nonsense.

Henry has reached the point where he can win by spending or win by metrics. The latter is more difficult but it’s cheaper and easier to undo or redo…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I mean, depending on the Sonic coupons…
    Lifetime burger and shake coupon?

I think the problem is John Henry IS a baseball guy, something corroborated but numerous former employees.

And as he is a baseball guy, he has decided it makes more sense to build his team to capitalize on metrics as opposed to just building it with financial capital.

I mean, he did fire John Farrell after back to back division titles and replaced him with the extremely metric-savvy Alex Cora for a reason, and I doubt that reason related to the entire “winning in spite of him” nonsense.

Henry has reached the point where he can win by spending or win by metrics. The latter is more difficult but it’s cheaper and easier to undo or redo…
    I'm not convinced he will never spend again, either, but I'm not counting on it, ever again.

Deity
    Lifetime burger and shake coupon?

Fries included?

Fries included?
    That's a separate coupon to be negotiated.