Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 370 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not too worried about our offense, but without Devers, the team suffers.
    How can you say that when the Sox scored 6 runs with Devers and nada without him?

Taking Devers out of the lineup does gut the offense.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Worst loss of the year.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    How can you say that when the Sox scored 6 runs with Devers and nada without him?
    I'm hoping he won't be out for long.

The guy can probably hit .900, one handed.

If he can't throw, it will mean he DHs, Yoshi goes to LF and as of now, Reyes and Dalbec cover 3B.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Worst loss of the year.
    Worst loss in the entire history of Red Sox baseball!!!! Pivetta pitched a gem, and Winck got 2 scoreless innings, but the lineup looked like namby pambies.

Cora needs to throw some bats in the showers. What's that word? Lollygaggers!

And allow me to single out Duran and his new hairdo. What a wuss. Can't hit a breaking ball to save his life, and he's our freaking leadoff batter.

On second thought, maybe the new guy, the GM, needs to throw bats into the dugout.

Worst loss in the entire history of Red Sox baseball!!!! Pivetta pitched a gem, and Winck got 2 scoreless innings, but the lineup looked like namby pambies.

And allow me to single out Duran and his new hairdo. What a wuss. Can't hit a breaking ball to save his life, and he's our freaking leadoff batter.

On second thought, maybe the new guy, the GM, needs to throw bats into the dugout.
    In true form, Max.

LOL

Definitely a winnable game, but sometimes one has to tip his/her cap to the opposing pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Definitely a winnable game, but sometimes one has to tip his/her cap to the opposing pitcher.
    Kirby is damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Kirby is damn good.
    I noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You simply stick Rafaela out on center.

Ref is a utility piece. I would be pissed if Rafaela is sent down to make a room for Ref.

Rafaela is our future center fielder. If we can't srick with him this year when we're expected to come in dead last then when when will he get an opportunity?
    I agree 100%.

For the SOX the best thing(only thing) about last night's game was Pivetta. His stuff was nasty.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 03-30-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Absolutely right. Kirby was pretty good last year too--31 starts, 190 IP, ERA 3.35. I just got a little rambunctious because, well, it's another season. One of my favorite scenes from Fever Pitch is when the season tickets arrive.

I'm pessimistic like most of us this year, but right now there is a glimmer of hope because both Bello and Pivetta had good starts, the defense looks pretty decent, and the lineup is supposed to be better.

Someone else said 5-5 on this road trip wouldn't be too bad, and I agree.

Absolutely right. Kirby was pretty good last year too--31 starts, 190 IP, ERA 3.35. I just got a little rambunctious because, well, it's another season. One of my favorite scenes from Fever Pitch is when the season tickets arrive.

I'm pessimistic like most of us this year, but right now there is a glimmer of hope because both Bello and Pivetta had good starts, the defense looks pretty decent, and the lineup is supposed to be better.

Someone else said 5-5 on this road trip wouldn't be too bad, and I agree.
    Hard to argue with any of that. Hopefully, Devers is in tonight's line-up.

Ok, good pitching beats good hitting, but anyone who thinks this offense is just as good without Turner, Verdugo, Kike and Duvall should maybe accept we'll be seeing even more Ks all season long than the last two last-place clubs.

O'Neill, Rafaela, Abreu and obviously Story improve the D, but they're all prone to swing-and-miss... and even when Story was a regular before injuries and got regular ABs for six months at a time, he was always a big whiffer.

Can Grissom change the K culture?

May 25, 2023 to April 29, 2024 with 100+ IP:

74 Pitchers had 100+ IP, since then

Pivetta was 2nd in K/9 at 12.63 (14th in K:BB at 4.68)

ERA-
    6. Pivetta 66
    38. Crawford 92
    44. B Bello 95

ERA
    7. Pivetta 2.93
    47. Crawford 4.16
    50. B Bello 4.26

FIP
    11. Pivetta 3.22
    22. Crawford 3.63
    56. Bello 4.49