Register now to remove this ad

Page 275 of 369 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 5526

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Kavadas loses all platoon benefits, when Casas returns. (Cooper matches up better as the back-up 1Bman.

To me, the time for Kavadas is now or maybe never. It's just my opinion, and I am not going to say Brez is wrong not to do it. He's knows more than I do.

The ones closest to Kavadas know best.
    they're not going to give him a shot. the idiots in the Sox FO are going to keep throwing the same shit at the same wall hoping for a different outcome. i'd fire the whole fucking lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    they're not going to give him a shot. the idiots in the Sox FO are going to keep throwing the same shit at the same wall hoping for a different outcome. i'd fire the whole fucking lot of them.
    Not over this, I hope.

Kavadas has a very high chance of not doing well. Personally, I think Smith's is equally high, if not higher, but I do think our scouts and guys watching Kavadas closely, know more than I do.

It's too early to talk of canning Brez, Bailey and the "whole crew." Bailey could probably win the governorship in MA, if an election was held, today. Brez seems to have made a difference, already. He added arms to the farm and the 40. He's got us at .500, when many expected worse. He was forced to cut a budget than many felt needed an increase to compete in 2024. The CB Tax budget was $226M, last year according to cots, and is at $208M, now.

That cut of $18M had to come from somewhere, especially when you consider his failed attempt at bring some stability and durability to the rotation by spending $19.3M x 2 on Gio. The Devers extension kicked in, too, adding $12M to the CBT line. While O'Neill's addition about cancelled out the savings from the Dugo trade, I think Brez did pretty good, looking past the swing and miss with Gio (and Grissom/I Campbell, so far).
    O'Neill
    Slaten
    Weissert
    Criswell
    Booser
    Fitts
    Sandlin

I think Brez, Bailey & Cora look like keepers, to me.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Not over this, I hope.

Kavadas has a very high chance of not doing well. Personally, I think Smith's is equally high, if not higher, but I do think our scouts and guys watching Kavadas closely, know more than I do.

It's too early to talk of canning Brez, Bailey and the "whole crew." Bailey could probably win the governorship in MA, if an election was held, today. Brez seems to have made a difference, already. He added arms to the farm and the 40. He's got us at .500, when many expected worse. He was forced to cut a budget than many felt needed an increase to compete in 2024. The CB Tax budget was $226M, last year according to cots, and is at $208M, now.

That cut of $18M had to come from somewhere, especially when you consider his failed attempt at bring some stability and durability to the rotation by spending $19.3M x 2 on Gio. The Devers extension kicked in, too, adding $12M to the CBT line. While O'Neill's addition about cancelled out the savings from the Dugo trade, I think Brez did pretty good, looking past the swing and miss with Gio (and Grissom/I Campbell, so far).
    O'Neill
    Slaten
    Weissert
    Criswell
    Booser
    Fitts
    Sandlin

I think Brez, Bailey & Cora look like keepers, to me.

Bailey could win the Governorship in MA if the election was held today? Once again the Red Sox are still on the back burner in the Boston sports scene with the Celtics headed to the NBA finales, and there is still more Bruins, and Pats talk going on than the Red Sox. What’s popular, and talked about on here isn’t necessarily a hot topic in other places, so Bailey isn’t as hot a topic out there as you think.

Well I love watching our 3 amigos in OF.

They can all run and play good defense. That's 17 years of team control out there.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

They can all run and play good defense. That's 17 years of team control out there.
    They sure look solid.

Don't look now, but Rafaela is heating up a bit, if you can consider .650 to .750 heating up.

.651 since May 2nd (80 PAs)
    .759 since May 20th (26 PAs)
    Not counting tonight's decent game at 1 for 3 w BB

Deity
    They sure look solid.

Don't look now, but Rafaela is heating up a bit, if you can consider .650 to .750 heating up.

.651 since May 2nd (80 PAs)
    .759 since May 20th (26 PAs)
    Not counting tonight's decent game at 1 for 3 w BB

Nice try, but I'm here to inform you Rafaela just got caught by Devers for the team lead in rbi's. Both have 28.

Updated Sox OPS
    .984 Refsnyder (earned a FT role, at least for a while)
    .928 Devers (career high OPS & OPS+, so far)
    .870 Abreu (let's start talking Abreu extension)
    .857 Casas (could use his bat back)
    .843 O'Neill (slumping. badly)
    .836 Wong (still making key plays)
    .776 Duran (fWAR leader on the team)

.743 DHam (went from near the top of the DFA list to near Romy on utility list)
    .736 Yoshida (take your time on the IL)
    .688 Romy (doing the little things right)
    .684 McGuire (helping the staff, a lot.)

.617 Story (should stop even listing him)
    .602 Rafaela (over the modern Mendoza Line)

.546 Smith, .532 Cooper & .377 Dalbec (just pathetic)
    .453 Valdez & .451 Reyes (may not see again in '24)

.352 Grissom (in his own category, by himself)

ERA Leaders SP'ers
    1.90 Houck (11 GS and early Cy Young candidate)
    1.96 Whitlock (4 out for season)
    2.89 Crawford (11 dropped a lot after bad start)
    3.96 Criswell (8 got drilled, last start)
    4.18 Bello (9 looked good, tonight, after 1st IP)
    4.20 Pivetta (6 up & down)

Pen ERA WHIP
    0.78 Bernardino 0.83
    2.01 Weissert 1.15
    2.16 Z Kelly 1.26 (back in AAA)
    2.25 Uwasawa 1.00 (in AAA)
    2.89 Slaten 0.96
    3.06 Jansen 1.25
    3.10 Martin 0.93
    3.33 Wink 1.56 (in AAA)
    3.38 Booser 1.07
    4.56 Anderson 1.29

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Indeed.
    The 4th Amigo, Refsnyder, is making a name for himself, now too.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Bailey could win the Governorship in MA if the election was held today? Once again the Red Sox are still on the back burner in the Boston sports scene with the Celtics headed to the NBA finales, and there is still more Bruins, and Pats talk going on than the Red Sox. What’s popular, and talked about on here isn’t necessarily a hot topic in other places, so Bailey isn’t as hot a topic out there as you think.
    Meh. moonslav indulged in hyperbole, but it's lovely hyperbole. And who gives a rat's ass about the Celtics and Bruins? Auerbach, Cousy, Russell, and Larry Bird are long gone, and hockey is strictly for white guys. Oh, and, last time I checked, this website is called Talksox.

I didn't know what to expect this season, so I voted for 81-81, and that's where the Sox are (plus one) one third through the season. But this team is way more complex and interesting than 50-50.

For starters, the Sox are paying Sale $17M, Story $22.5M, Giolito $18M, Yoshida $18.6M, Turner $6.7M, and Whitlock $3.5M--and none of them are playing for the Sox. That's over half the $182M payroll shot to hell. That's why the current rotation is being paid $15M total, $1M less than closer Jansen, who has pitched 17.2 innings to date--which is absolutely insane.
    And it's that rotation that enables the Sox to have the 3d best ERA in MLB--which is amazing for a team that rarely has excellent pitching.

The current Sox lineup has exactly one experienced everyday MLB player, Devers, who is paid more, $29M, than the other 12 lineup players combined. How about that, sports fans? Thus are they inconsistent. That's why all the errors and unearned runs (plus, as moonslav points out, other "earned" runs that are really also unearned runs). That's why weak RISP hitting.

On the other hand, sometimes these guys come through when you don't expect it--like sweeping Tampa @ Tampa a week ago. Plus we can already see good things in Abreu, Duran, and Rafaela in the outfield, Casas at 1b (actually, it's his bat, not glove).

And don't forget Hamilton, the guy we wanted to kill last season. His total WAR is +0.7 for 30 games played. Last year Story's total WAR for 43 games was +0.8. So who needs freaking Story, who dove for a grounder and is out for the season?

Plus I like Wong/McGuire behind the plate. So right now, honestly, just 2 real weak spots, 2b and 1b. But Casas could be back by June 21, and maybe Grissom is only mostly dead at 2b. This lineup just might be good enough if they believe in themselves.

For confirmation, just look right above at moonslav's latest stats on lineup players, starters, and relievers. This team is actually better than .500. Who needs Yoshida when Ref is hitting so well? Who needs Story when Hamilton is outplaying him?

Who needs Yoshida when Ref is hitting so well? Who needs Story when Hamilton is outplaying him?
    The Red Sox need Yoshida in their batting order because he doesn't strike out. Boston batters fan more than 27 other teams (only one-letter clubs M's and A's are worse).

The Sox are also third in the AL in Left On Base, and when the offense is struggling there's nothing worse than watching Sox hitters whiff when all someone has to do to bring home a run is put the ball in play.

Masa may not have the pop the brass was hoping for, but some of those 4-3s drive in runners from third with less than two outs.

Deity
    Meh. moonslav indulged in hyperbole, but it's lovely hyperbole. And who gives a rat's ass about the Celtics and Bruins? Auerbach, Cousy, Russell, and Larry Bird are long gone, and hockey is strictly for white guys. Oh, and, last time I checked, this website is called Talksox.

I didn't know what to expect this season, so I voted for 81-81, and that's where the Sox are (plus one) one third through the season. But this team is way more complex and interesting than 50-50.

For starters, the Sox are paying Sale $17M, Story $22.5M, Giolito $18M, Yoshida $18.6M, Turner $6.7M, and Whitlock $3.5M--and none of them are playing for the Sox. That's over half the $182M payroll shot to hell. That's why the current rotation is being paid $15M total, $1M less than closer Jansen, who has pitched 17.2 innings to date--which is absolutely insane.
    And it's that rotation that enables the Sox to have the 3d best ERA in MLB--which is amazing for a team that rarely has excellent pitching.

The current Sox lineup has exactly one experienced everyday MLB player, Devers, who is paid more, $29M, than the other 12 lineup players combined. How about that, sports fans? Thus are they inconsistent. That's why all the errors and unearned runs (plus, as moonslav points out, other "earned" runs that are really also unearned runs). That's why weak RISP hitting.

On the other hand, sometimes these guys come through when you don't expect it--like sweeping Tampa @ Tampa a week ago. Plus we can already see good things in Abreu, Duran, and Rafaela in the outfield, Casas at 1b (actually, it's his bat, not glove).

And don't forget Hamilton, the guy we wanted to kill last season. His total WAR is +0.7 for 30 games played. Last year Story's total WAR for 43 games was +0.8. So who needs freaking Story, who dove for a grounder and is out for the season?

Plus I like Wong/McGuire behind the plate. So right now, honestly, just 2 real weak spots, 2b and 1b. But Casas could be back by June 21, and maybe Grissom is only mostly dead at 2b. This lineup just might be good enough if they believe in themselves.

For confirmation, just look right above at moonslav's latest stats on lineup players, starters, and relievers. This team is actually better than .500. Who needs Yoshida when Ref is hitting so well? Who needs Story when Hamilton is outplaying him?
    Sorry Max, but the Red Sox are #4 in town now, and it didn’t used to be that way.

Hockey is strictly for white guys, but you haven't watched basketball since the Celtics stopped being a team loaded with white players. Got it.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The Red Sox need Yoshida in their batting order because he doesn't strike out. Boston batters fan more than 27 other teams (only one-letter clubs M's and A's are worse).

The Sox are also third in the AL in Left On Base, and when the offense is struggling there's nothing worse than watching Sox hitters whiff when all someone has to do to bring home a run is put the ball in play.

Masa may not have the pop the brass was hoping for, but some of those 4-3s drive in runners from third with less than two outs.
    Sox are last in FanGraphs CLUTCH.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sox are last in FanGraphs CLUTCH.
    A mythical concept posted on such a disreputable site makes it easy for discerning fans to dismiss this fake stat.

But the writer who compiles the data sure came through for his sponsors and regular visitors. The editor didn't know if he could count on the guy, who never delivered such content in the past... though he had a hunch (plus, they were facing the pressure of another deadline).