Register now to remove this ad

Page 265 of 362 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 5424

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    For those expecting the Bryan Mata ( #27 on your depth chart) to be any part of this team competing for a WC (?) , don't count on this poor guy. He is finished.
    I expect we will see something from him soon.

As soon as his rehab assignment is over the Sox will have to either add him to the 40 man or DFA him.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    I expect we will see something from him soon.

As soon as his rehab assignment is over the Sox will have to either add him to the 40 man or DFA him.
    He’s been on the 40 man roster for almost 4 years. He would need to be added to the 26 man roster, as he is out of options. The only alternative is DFA him. He’s very likely to clear waivers, since he hasn’t pitched much in the past few seasons, hasn’t pitched all that well on the rare occasion he does pitch, and has no options left.

The only other possibility - which the Sox could do but makes zero sense - is the 60 day IL. Unless he actually is hurt, this would be a bad, since all it does is delay the same decision above.

I suspect they DFA him and then assign him to the minors if/when he clears waivers. I don’t think Mata can refuse assignment, but I could be wrong. Anyone got some clarity on that?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He’s been on the 40 man roster for almost 4 years. He would need to be added to the 26 man roster, as he is out of options. The only alternative is DFA him. He’s very likely to clear waivers, since he hasn’t pitched much in the past few seasons, hasn’t pitched all that well on the rare occasion he does pitch, and has no options left.

The only other possibility - which the Sox could do but makes zero sense - is the 60 day IL. Unless he actually is hurt, this would be a bad, since all it does is delay the same decision above.

I suspect they DFA him and then assign him to the minors if/when he clears waivers. I don’t think Mata can refuse assignment, but I could be wrong. Anyone got some clarity on that?
    Correct, I was wrong. He needs to be added to the 26 man or DFA'd.

So whether people like it or not the Sox may do just that to see what he does.......or he gets DFA'd.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

I am tired of hearing about our “great starting pitching” and how the Red Sox didn’t need Chris Sale. This group has over-performed, but the reality is that this is a below average group without a stopper or a number 1 or number 2. Houck and Bello are the only ones with plus stuff. it remains to be seen if Houck can go out there for 150 plus innings. The same goes for Crawford. The “injury prone” Whitlock will never be reliable as a starter. Pivetta has a ceiling of mediocrity.

As for our bullpen, the ages of the top 2 guys combined for almost 80 years. They will need to rebuild that ad well as the rotation after this season. It doesn’t look promising.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It's another year of .500ish ball. Sometimes they look much better than a .500 team and sometimes they look much worse.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's another year of .500ish ball. Sometimes they look much better than a .500 team and sometimes they look much worse.
    Sticking around .500 for a while is OK if you have the depth to hold on. Since if you can go that, you’re always one good hit streak away from the postseason.

My biggest concern since, maybe December, has been the lack of depth. When pitching injuries stack up and fatigue sets in, who are the Sox going to turn to?

Deity
    Correct, I was wrong. He needs to be added to the 26 man or DFA'd.

So whether people like it or not the Sox may do just that to see what he does.......or he gets DFA'd.
    I think adding him to the 26 man would be crazy, but it also might be necessary if they need an arm…

Sticking around .500 for a while is OK if you have the depth to hold on. Since if you can go that, you’re always one good hit streak away from the postseason.

My biggest concern since, maybe December, has been the lack of depth. When pitching injuries stack up and fatigue sets in, who are the Sox going to turn to?
    It'll just pave the way for the July selloff.

Deity
    It'll just pave the way for the July selloff.
    Assuming we have a decisive CBO…

Assuming we have a decisive CBO…
    I think we do this time.

I remember Gamble and his card.

The man finished his career with 666 RBIs, and then nearly doubled down with 656 runs scored. He’s too evil to quote…
    The thing I remember most about Oscar Gamble is the way that Yankee announcer Bob Sheppard said his name.
    Old school is good school.

Essentially, they have been beating the bad teams and losing to the good ones. But you can hang around the wild card picture just by doing that.
    Old school is good school.

I think adding him to the 26 man would be crazy, but it also might be necessary if they need an arm…
    I'm not getting exciting about it, but just saying it might happen.

Can we just appreciate the season Tanner Houck is having

He leads the American League in WAR, he's 5th in innings pitched, 11th in K's.

Get this.....HE'S THE ONLY GUY WHO HAS PITCHED A SHUT OUT THIS YEAR.

That's right there's only been 4 complete game shut outs across baseball and 3 of them have been in the NL.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am tired of hearing about our “great starting pitching” and how the Red Sox didn’t need Chris Sale. This group has over-performed, but the reality is that this is a below average group without a stopper or a number 1 or number 2. Houck and Bello are the only ones with plus stuff. it remains to be seen if Houck can go out there for 150 plus innings. The same goes for Crawford. The “injury prone” Whitlock will never be reliable as a starter. Pivetta has a ceiling of mediocrity.

As for our bullpen, the ages of the top 2 guys combined for almost 80 years. They will need to rebuild that ad well as the rotation after this season. It doesn’t look promising.
    I would love to have had Sale stay. He is just one more example of the malfeasance of JH's "brain trust." Consider--

This year's payroll is $182M, but $16M is going to closer Jansen, $17M to Braves starter Chris Sale, $22.5M to Story who's out for the season because he risked life and limb diving for a grounder, $18M for Giolito who is out for the season because he unwisely threw pitches in spring training, $18.6M for Yoshida whose thumb hurts and who can't hit anyway, and $7M for Turner who plays for the Jays.

That adds up to $99M, which leaves $83M, of which Devers is paid $29M, so the rest of the team--the entire pitching staff (rotation and relievers) except Jansen, the entire outfield, both catchers, all of the infielders except Devers, and the DH--are being paid $54M. The bottom 5 payrolls in MLB are $64M (A's), $83M (Pirates), $98M (Rays), $99M (Marlins), and $99M (Orioles).

Looked at that way--and disregarding what other teams are paying their players who are on the IL or otherwise not contributing--the 2024 Sox needed to spend $360M, way more than the top dollar Mets payroll of $307M, to have any hope of competing this season.

Indeed, given the above, it's a semi-miracle the Sox are still 1 game above .500.