Register now to remove this ad

Page 200 of 424 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 6354

Thread: A Realistic View of 2024: Part II

Maybe Betts was lying in his press conference. But nobody seemed to make the slightest effort to follow up. Just seems weird. This was the biggest loss of talent by the Red Sox since Ruth.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Maybe Betts was lying in his press conference. But nobody seemed to make the slightest effort to follow up. Just seems weird. This was the biggest loss of talent by the Red Sox since Ruth.
    It was weird that one of the eager beavers reporters didn’t do more digging. That doesn’t sound like them at all.

Deity
    It was the worst move. We agree.

But I just don't take Betts' word for everything, mostly because I am sick of players saying "I only wanted to play for Team X, and all they had to do was meet my exorbitant asking price." To me, that's not how only wanting one thing works. Just be honest. I'd like to hear a player say "I wanted as much money as possible, because this is my job and, like most people, I work for money. I don't get paid in RBIs."

So far, the only player I have ever heard come close was Torii Hunter, who signed a 5 year $90mill deal with the Angels and said "My grandma said I'd be stupid to turn down that much money."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    It was weird that one of the eager beavers reporters didn’t do more digging. That doesn’t sound like them at all.
    Maybe they did but there was nothing to report? Because you are right in that it doesn't sound like them at all...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    what was your point? That betts could have been dealt earlier in a 3 month window if they knew he was gone?

Maybe they were talking to teams, but no one was gong to deal until after his final salary was agreed upon (at $25mill). And at that point, interest was fairly minimal, with only 2 teams making reported offers. I would imagine bloom was doing what any cbo would have done - calling 27 other teams...
    $27m

But I just don't take Betts' word for everything, mostly because I am sick of players saying "I only wanted to play for Team X, and all they had to do was meet my exorbitant asking price." To me, that's not how only wanting one thing works. Just be honest. I'd like to hear a player say "I wanted as much money as possible, because this is my job and, like most people, I work for money. I don't get paid in RBIs."
    I think Betts did as much as say it was all about the money. He admitted to turning down $200 million, after all.

Deity

So far, the only player I have ever heard come close was Torii Hunter, who signed a 5 year $90mill deal with the Angels and said "My grandma said I'd be stupid to turn down that much money."
    I blame BOTH sides.

I'd like to see the quote on what he actually said. He did talk about the 8 year/$200 million offer that he turned down, saying he came very close to signing it, and that it was his mother who told him to stay clear-headed and not over-react to what a big chunk of money it was and all that.
    His mom took some grief on here for that, but she's a smart lady.
    I get MV Pee.

Sometimes you really go out of your way to miss the point.
    He goes out of his way to miss the point?!?!?
    I get MV Pee.

Any way you look at it, the Red Sox ended up paying Devers 30 mill a year long term instead of Betts. And as much as I like Devers, he's half as good as Betts, if that.

What was your point? That Betts could have been dealt earlier in a 3 month window if they knew he was gone?

Maybe they were talking to teams, but no one was gong to deal until after his final salary was agreed upon (at $25mill). And at that point, interest was fairly minimal, with only 2 teams making reported offers. I would imagine Bloom was doing what any CBO would have done - calling 27 other teams...
    It was reported that DD was looking to trade him in July of 2019, but the Sox started playing better, so they decided not to "sell."

Had they lost that 8 game streak in the middle of July instead of right at the end and into AUG, he might have been traded by DD. Who knows what the return would have been. I never heard even any rumors of the return.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Any way you look at it, the Red Sox ended up paying Devers 30 mill a year long term instead of Betts. And as much as I like Devers, he's half as good as Betts, if that.
    But I believe that’s because Raffy was in the right place at the right time, and was the last man standing.

This is true, but the 3 year gap is significant, in terms of the budget and roster at each time.

The Betts era had several players making $17+M or $20+M. Fan expectations were different, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I've read that. What's weird is there's no direct statement by Betts of how much he turned down. Where's the rest of the conversation?

The reporting of the whole thing has sucked from the beginning.
    Clear as mud.
    I get MV Pee.

That’s NNN for you.
    The Nakey News Network?
    I get MV Pee.