Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 2024 MLB season news and notes

Deity
    The deadline has officially begun!!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...on-civale.html

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Recently my daughter pointed out to me RHRP Will Smith has 3 World Series rings in the last 3 seasons. Has anyone else ever won 3 consecutive rings with 3 different teams?
    Smith is a lefty.
    Old school is good school.

Recently my daughter pointed out to me RHRP Will Smith has 3 World Series rings in the last 3 seasons. Has anyone else ever won 3 consecutive rings with 3 different teams?
    Wow, she's pretty good...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Smith is a lefty.
    He is. My mistake.

But back to the point of the post, is Smith alone in that regard?

Deity
    Also worth noting, Smith signed with KC this off-season, a team sitting on the fringe of the postseason …

He is. My mistake.

But back to the point of the post, is Smith alone in that regard?
    I don't know how to research it, but I very much doubt anyone else has done that. Pretty sure he is the only one.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don't know how to research it, but I very much doubt anyone else has done that. Pretty sure he is the only one.
    I flat out googled it. Apparently Will Smith is the first. Don Baylor played in 3 consecutive World Series with 3 different teams, but lost the first one (with the ‘86 Red Sox) and the third one…

I flat out googled it. Apparently Will Smith is the first. Don Baylor played in 3 consecutive World Series with 3 different teams, but lost the first one (with the ‘86 Red Sox) and the third one…
    I thought Smith was Lonnie, a regular position player who won rings with three different teams in '80, '82, '85; he also got back in the World Series with a fourth team, but lost in '91-92.

Another guy of note is Orlando Cabrera, a starting middle infielder for five different cities in six postseasons from 2004-2010. He only won one World Series -- Boston '04 -- and apparently wore out his welcome quickly wherever he went. But nobody can call OC a loser; all five of his clubs were first-place teams.

And then you have poor Kenny Lofton, whose teams did this in a 3 year stretch:

2002 Giants - blew 3-2 lead in WS
    2003 Cubs - blew 3-1 lead in NLCS
    2004 Yankees - blew 3-0 lead in ALCS

And just for good measure:

2007 Indians - blew 3-1 lead in ALCS

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And then you have poor Kenny Lofton, whose teams did this in a 3 year stretch:

2002 Giants - blew 3-2 lead in WS
    2003 Cubs - blew 3-1 lead in NLCS
    2004 Yankees - blew 3-0 lead in ALCS

And just for good measure:

2007 Indians - blew 3-1 lead in ALCS
    I haven’t joked about the Curse of Kenny Lofton in years. Also you left out the 1999 Cleveland Indians, up 2-0 in a best of 5 ALDS and lost to Boston/Pedro.

Credit for discovering the Lofton Curse does go to Tom Verducci…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I thought Smith was Lonnie, a regular position player who won rings with three different teams in '80, '82, '85; he also got back in the World Series with a fourth team, but lost in '91-92.

Another guy of note is Orlando Cabrera, a starting middle infielder for five different cities in six postseasons from 2004-2010. He only won one World Series -- Boston '04 -- and apparently wore out his welcome quickly wherever he went. But nobody can call OC a loser; all five of his clubs were first-place teams.
    No one called OC a loser, but reportedly he was called just about everything else. I don’t think ever heard of a player getting so much negativity from his teammates and staff…

No one called OC a loser, but reportedly he was called just about everything else. I don’t think ever heard of a player getting so much negativity from his teammates and staff…
    But it was all rumors and innuendo, wasn't it? I don't think there are any names attached to quotes about him...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But it was all rumors and innuendo, wasn't it? I don't think there are any names attached to quotes about him...
    There were a few incidents that were not. Such as when he called the official scorer mid-game to change an error he was charged with.