Register now to remove this ad

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    From his scouting report: Needs to improve pitch recognition, especially against breaking balls. Some questions about how his contact skills will translate against more advanced pitching.

It's not a surprise that he's now struggling with a split.

GRE 23: 37.5 k% vs LHP, 20.0 k% vs RHP
    SAL 22: 34.8 k% vs LHP, 23.9 k% vs RHP
    I have agreed this is a concern. I'm not sure what else I need to say.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I'd keep him down in Greenville for a while. He hasn't had any success while being in the organization. Let him enjoy it for away and get his confidence back before he has to take the next jump. Going to AA is arguably the toughest leap in MiLB.
    Agree, even if he mashes all year. You can always give him a call up with the last few weeks of the Milb season as a reward. He's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Criswell was cruising through 5 with Woo, when the big club bug bit, and two errors have led to 3 runs in the 6th (so far.)
    Kavadas has homered twice.
    Meidroth is o-3 w no BBs- shocking!

POR got swept in a DBLHDR by one run, each game.
    Game 1: Encarnacion let up 8 runs (7ERS) in 1.1 IP.
    Teel, Jordan & Sikes homered.
    Anthony 1-3 w BB
    Mayer 1-3 w BB
    Teel 2-4
    Game2: Wikelman roughed up, again. Mata w 3IP 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 2K
    Anthony 0-3 w BB
    Mayer 2-4
    Teel 1-2

GRE lost by 1, also.
    Sandlin 2 IP, 0H, 0ER, 1BB, 4K

All of a sudden, SAL is scoring in bunches.
    Dean: 5IP, 2H, 2ER, 5BB, 6K
    Brannon 3-5
    Anderson, Alcantara & Taylor all w 2 Hits.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Criswell was cruising through 5 with Woo, when the big club bug bit, and two errors have led to 3 runs in the 6th (so far.)
    Kavadas has homered twice.
    Meidroth is o-3 w no BBs- shocking!

POR got swept in a DBLHDR by one run, each game.
    Game 1: Encarnacion let up 8 runs (7ERS) in 1.1 IP.
    Teel, Jordan & Sikes homered.
    Anthony 1-3 w BB
    Mayer 1-3 w BB
    Teel 2-4
    Game2: Wikelman roughed up, again. Mata w 3IP 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 2K
    Anthony 0-3 w BB
    Mayer 2-4
    Teel 1-2

GRE lost by 1, also.
    Sandlin 2 IP, 0H, 0ER, 1BB, 4K

All of a sudden, SAL is scoring in bunches.
    Dean: 5IP, 2H, 2ER, 5BB, 6K
    Brannon 3-5
    Anderson, Alcantara & Taylor all w 2 Hits.
    In terms of sweet swings, I think Brannon has one of the best. But to date, he is always injured

Woo lost 9-7, and it looks like Meidroth is taking a break from walking and just hitting the ball, now, going 3 for 5.
    3-5 Westbrook w HR
    2-5 Lugo w HR (.742 OPS in AAA)
    Sogard walked 3 times.

POR lost 2-1. (I never got around to see them, this summer.)
    Mayer and Teel did not play. Anthony went 0-4.

GRE lost 6-5
    Jh Garcia homered (1.027)
    Bleis 1-4 w BB

We are just about halfway through the minor league season. Despite some setbacks to guys like Perales, Johanfran Garcia and others due to injury and a few prospects that dropped off the top rankings lists, like Drohan, Wikelman, Mata and others, I do not think I'm being a "homer" by saying our farm is looking as strong as it has in many, many years.

Our top 3 prospects are highly ranked by almost every ranking site around. I do not think it's a wearing rose-colored glasses type of situation, here. These three look for real. Of course, many "for real" prospects end up not impressing, and it might be likely one or maybe even two of these three that don't reach expectations, but all three look legit, and all three will likely be in the bigs within a year or maybe 1.5 seasons.

The next group of three prospects, Perales, Bleis and Cespedes are farther away and carry greater risk than the big three, but there is a ton of potential in these guys. Perales was looking really good, before the major injury. He has a ways to go to come back, but the promise is still there. Bleis and Cespedes are multi-tolled players who have gotten more notice, especially Cespedes. I'm super high on Cespedes, and I like the odds on 1 or 2 of these guys becoming pretty special.

The next 3, Fitts, Zanetello and Campbell, to me, are super promising. Maybe I'm being a homer, here- maybe not. Campbell is a shooting star, right now, but the other two are hopeful, too. I'm thinking these three might have the same chances of success as the second group of 3.

Together, the top 3 groups of 3 might very well might produce 5-6 very productive ML players. Is thinking 5 of 9 will being a homer?

To me, there is a big drop off after 9-10, but there is hope in numbers.

Sandlin, E R-C, Monegro, Dobbins, Guerrero, Early and others might produce a couple keepers for the staff.

I'm not that high on Yorke, Castro, Paulino as some others, but maybe I'm higher on Meidroth, Lugo and the Garcia brothers than some are.

In short, I think we have a lot to be optimistic about on the farm, but on top of this, many of the farm infusions will be joining the bigs within the window of recent grads and extended players still being under team control for so many more seasons.

We went through a pretty long stretch with no major impactful players being called up from our farm. I've noted the time period between Devers in 2017 to Houck, who graduated in late '21 and Duran in '22 as being particularly empty of help, but in reality, the true impact of Houck and Duran is just now being realized. That was about a 7-8 year timeframe.

I don't mean to minimize the recent impact of graduated prospects: it goes beyond just Houck & Duran. We have Crawford, Bello, Wong, Casas, Rafaela, Whitlock, Abreu, Valdez, Slaten, and a few others like Wink, Kelly, Bernardino, DHam and Booser, too.

Combine the two large groups together and add Devers, and maybe we can reach the promise land sooner than many think we will.

Lugo falling back to earth in AAA.

192 AVG
    742 OPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

On the flip side, Yorke has stayed hot and has had a hit n 14 of 16 games for WOO with a 991 OPS.
    I get MV Pee.

@SoxProspects
    In a minor transaction, the FCL Red Sox added infielder Jancel Santana from the DSL today. The move is a little more significant, though, because the domestic reserve list is now full at 165, albeit with Luis Perales and Angel Bastardo candidates for the long-term IL.

Corresponding move is probably Cespedes to Salem.
    I get MV Pee.

@SoxProspects
    In a minor transaction, the FCL Red Sox added infielder Jancel Santana from the DSL today. The move is a little more significant, though, because the domestic reserve list is now full at 165, albeit with Luis Perales and Angel Bastardo candidates for the long-term IL.

Corresponding move is probably Cespedes to Salem.
    @BOSSportsGordo
    Yoeilin Cespedes has confirmed on his IG that he has been promoted to Low-A Salem.
    I get MV Pee.

On the flip side, Yorke has stayed hot and has had a hit n 14 of 16 games for WOO with a 991 OPS.
    Yorke - Keeper or trade chip????
    Jordan - keeper or trade chip????
    Campbell - keeper or trade chip????

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Trade
    Trade
    Keep

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    I'm still high on Yorke. I'd keep him.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    There isn't enough trade value for Yorke at the moment. He's a diminished defensive guy who may figure it out offensively. Better to hold onto him.

Jordan is a guy with light tower power who has never done it in game. I don't think he has any trade value.

I don't see the point in trading any of them. I think you probably add Yorke to the 40 man and see if Jordan gets picked in the Rule 5, but I don't think it happens.
    I get MV Pee.

What prospect assets does bres-slow have to use at the trade deadline?

Blies?
    Cespedes?