Register now to remove this ad

Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1274

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well, they're "accomodating" Max Fried exactly the same.

The fact that Atlanta is using a different approach doesn't mean Sale or Fried wouldn't be able to handle Boston's approach.

Full marks for effort, though.
    Huh?

It didn’t matter who else Atalanta gives additional rest to. Charlie Morton also gets some. The point is Atlanta can do this because unlike Boston, they have multiple starting pitchers in the majors and ready to step in from the minors. Heck the Braves had a former MLB All Star on the AAA staff to start the season.

If Sale was in Boston, would he be handled the same? Or would he be pitching with less rest more often?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Huh?

It didn’t matter who else Atalanta gives additional rest to. Charlie Morton also gets some. The point is Atlanta can do this because unlike Boston, they have multiple starting pitchers in the majors and ready to step in from the minors. Heck the Braves had a former MLB All Star on the AAA staff to start the season.

If Sale was in Boston, would he be handled the same? Or would he be pitching with less rest more often?
    The latter, presumably.

And we don't know how much difference any of it makes.

Maybe if Atlanta was pitching these guys on fewer days rest they'd have a better record. Don't you normally want to use your best as much as possible? They're not 5 deep in aces. Maybe what they're doing is stupid. It's all a matter of opinion.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The latter, presumably.

Maybe if Atlanta was pitching these guys on fewer days rest they'd have a better record. Don't you normally want to use your best as much as possible? They're not 5 deep in aces. Maybe what they're doing is stupid. It's all a matter of opinion.
    “We did notice the last few years, our guys did run out of gas, a little bit,” Anthopoulos said. “And there were some times where – it’s not something we’re gonna advertise to the media – guys were sore and so on, but they would pitch through it. But it felt like when we got to the postseason – and I don’t want to assume the playoffs, but something needed to change. And that year that we chased down the Mets, we had a 20-game stretch – 20 games in a row – we wanted to insert an extra starter, we just weren’t in the position to do it. We just thought at the end of the day, it caught up to us, both times.”

They are trying to stay healthy and well rested for the stretch run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    “We did notice the last few years, our guys did run out of gas, a little bit,” Anthopoulos said. “And there were some times where – it’s not something we’re gonna advertise to the media – guys were sore and so on, but they would pitch through it. But it felt like when we got to the postseason – and I don’t want to assume the playoffs, but something needed to change. And that year that we chased down the Mets, we had a 20-game stretch – 20 games in a row – we wanted to insert an extra starter, we just weren’t in the position to do it. We just thought at the end of the day, it caught up to us, both times.”

They are trying to stay healthy and well rested for the stretch run.
    Sure, that makes sense.

But notin's theory that the Braves were able to utilize Sale and allow for the possibility of him getting injured better than us does not. If Sale gets hurt it's going to be a blow to them just like it would be with us. They have Fried, Lopez and Morton. We have Houck, Crawford and Bello. Plus we obviously could have signed another starter.

Give us the list of names that make up this great starting pitching depth for the Braves.

Deity
    The latter, presumably.

I’m not asking how it works for the Braves’ overall won-loss record, just how it affects an individual pitcher’s performance and health. Is it better for ann individual pitcher? Does it somewhat mitigate the risk of injury? Or does it exacerbate it?
    Last edited by notin; 07-08-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Deity
    Give us the list of names that make up this great starting pitching depth for the Braves.
    At the beginning of the year, they had Strider, Fried, Morton, Lopez, Sale, Elder, Waldrep, Dodd, Vines, Smith-Shawver, Schwellenbach, Ynoa, and Winans.

Their system is also working quite well for Reynaldo Lopez.

That’s 13 starting pitchers. Who are the Sox top 13?
    Last edited by notin; 07-08-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Sure, that makes sense.

But notin's theory that the Braves were able to utilize Sale and allow for the possibility of him getting injured better than us does not. If Sale gets hurt it's going to be a blow to them just like it would be with us. They have Fried, Lopez and Morton. We have Houck, Crawford and Bello. Plus we obviously could have signed another starter.
    They have a better depth of starters than the Sox do at the moment even with the Strider injury. Red Sox have needed to run with bullpen games. The Braves don't rely on bullpen games to manage their starter workload. Not sure how you can compare Crawford and Bello with Fried and Lopez.
    I get MV Pee.

At the beginning of the year, they had Strider, Fried, Morton, Lopez, Sale, Elder, Waldrep, Dodd, Vines, Smith-Shawver, Schwellenbach, Ynoa, and Winans.

Their system is also working quite well for Reynaldo Lopez.

That’s 12 starting pitchers. Who are the Sox top 12?
    The Braves have great starting pitcher depth. The Sox after the top 5 went to Cooper Criswell and Winckowski. After that, it would get ugly fast.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The Braves have great starting pitcher depth. The Sox after the top 5 went to Cooper Criswell and Winckowski. After that, it would get ugly fast.
    Sale obviously makes the Sox that much better. But they simply couldn’t count on him. Giolito looked worse in every way but one - he has had superior durability to Sale. I suspect that was the goal here…

Sale obviously makes the Sox that much better. But they simply couldn’t count on him. Giolito looked worse in every way but one - he has had superior durability to Sale. I suspect that was the goal here…
    Sale was around for one more year. Giolito will be potentially around through 2026.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Sure, that makes sense.

Adding another starter would have been nice for Boston. I’ve repeatedly listed some MLB vet talent that settled for MiLB deals. No idea why Boston just avoided them all.

Let me explain my point. An MLB season is about 1450 innings. A good goal for a team is to have the rotation pitch 800-850 innings, leaving the remaining IP for the bullpen. Sale in recent years has not been much for innings, with about 150 from 2029 thru 2023. If the Sox counted on Sale, and he only pitched 40 IP, they have fewer arms to handle that remaining 760-810 IP. The Braves, as shown by the 13 names listed previously, have many more arms to pick up that difference…

Adding another starter would have been nice for Boston. I’ve repeatedly listed some MLB vet talent that settled for MiLB deals. No idea why Boston just avoided them all.

Let me explain my point. An MLB season is about 1450 innings. A good goal for a team is to have the rotation pitch 800-850 innings, leaving the remaining IP for the bullpen. Sale in recent years has not been much for innings, with about 150 from 2029 thru 2023. If the Sox counted on Sale, and he only pitched 40 IP, they have fewer arms to handle that remaining 760-810 IP. The Braves, as shown by the 13 names listed previously, have many more arms to pick up that difference…
    OK, I can see the rationale for why the trade for Sale made sense for the Braves.

It still doesn't convince me that the Red Sox lack of depth made it a good move to trade Sale. Their lack of depth has a lot to do with their reluctance to sign starters.

Deity
    OK, I can see the rationale for why the trade for Sale made sense for the Braves.

It still doesn't convince me that the Red Sox lack of depth made it a good move to trade Sale. Their lack of depth has a lot to do with their reluctance to sign starters.
    I think they moved him figuring they’re probably not going to get their IP from him, and someone had to go to fit a SP who can into the budget. But they clearly liked Grissom as well, and had to pay more cash to get him in return.

Of course it didn’t help that they will get 0 IP from the guy they expected to provide 150-180 IP…

I think they moved him figuring they’re probably not going to get their IP from him, and someone had to go to fit a SP who can into the budget. But they clearly liked Grissom as well, and had to pay more cash to get him in return.

Of course it didn’t help that they will get 0 IP from the guy they expected to provide 150-180 IP…
    And they did nothing to replace him.