Register now to remove this ad

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The signing of Giolito was actually announced the day before the Sale trade was announced. Looks like they were probably both in the works at the same time.
    Possible. My point is one was linked to the other. Not like the Sale trade negotiations started earlier that same morning…

Deity
    Because the Sox are suckers and Atlanta was happy to take advantage?
    A convenient story. Of course, if this deal was 100% about just cutting salary, why make the deal at all if you’re paying that much?

And if you have so much faith that Sale was back and ready to go, why would Atlanta ask for money and risk Boston killing the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A convenient story. Of course, if this deal was 100% about just cutting salary, why make the deal at all if you’re paying that much?
    Because 10 million is still a chunk of change? This is like asking why they traded Price when they still had to pay $16 million.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Because 10 million is still a chunk of change? This is like asking why they traded Price when they still had to pay $16 million.
    In both cases, the other team likely asked for the money because they knew the risks of trading for damaged goods…

In both cases, the other team likely asked for the money because they knew the risks of trading for damaged goods…
    Yes, I think you may have hit on it!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Yes, I think you may have hit on it!
    It’s only what I’ve been saying for multiple weeks!

I believe if Sale pitched a full season last year, he’d still be in Boston. And Giolito would be on some other team’s injury list…

Deity
    Yes, they wanted to move Sale’s contract. Did the part about Atlanta asking Boston take the financial burden not show up on your screen? Or do you only read partial posts so as to leave room for irrelevant criticisms? And despite his brief performance in Boston, Grissom was absolutely a valuable trade piece, and one the Braves were not merely handing over for nothing.

Why do you suppose the Sox paid $17mill? Or better question - why do you suppose Atlanta asked for a huge chunk of money be included along with Sale?
    So far Sale is pitching like a CY candidate, and Grissom has been playing when he has played like a suspect, and not a prospect. I’ve already said in the beginning I didn’t know Boston had to kick in $17M, and have been highly critical of that fact ever since. Irrelevant criticism from a NN? That’s irrelevant in itself.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    You're highly critical for everything
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    You're highly critical for everything
    Yes, and I joined the club.

Therefore, I take everything you say with a grain of salt. Your opinions have an agenda.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Therefore, I take everything you say with a grain of salt. Your opinions have an agenda.
    As does everyone else’s voted on by more than 1 establishment.

Deity
    Because the Sox are suckers and Atlanta was happy to take advantage?
    And take advantage they did over the 12th pick in the 2024 HOBO draft, and took advantage of a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    As does everyone else’s voted on by more than 1 establishment.
    What in the blue hell are you going on about?

Deity
    It’s only what I’ve been saying for multiple weeks!

I believe if Sale pitched a full season last year, he’d still be in Boston. And Giolito would be on some other team’s injury list…
    It's more complicated than you guys are saying. Sale made it clear that, whoever he played for this year, must agree to 3 years, 2024-2026. And he could do that as a 10year/5 year veteran of MLB and of the Sox.

I think it's the 3 year contract that made it very easy for the Sox not only to let Sale go, but to send $17M with him.

So why oh why did the Braves agree to 3 years? I think they looked at the bigger picture, which is that, after TJ surgery and presumably a rebuilt and stronger Sale, he never got a real chance to show what he could do until 2023.

Last year was 4 years after his last real season, so chances were he was rediscovering what he could still do: 20 starts, 6 complete games, 125 IP, 125 K's, 29 BB's, ERA 4.30. The Braves decided, correctly, that something like the old Sale was doable/possible.

But, as we have seen, this season they have been careful to give him a minimum of 6 days rest between starts and sometimes 7. In return, Sale has averaged 6.25 innings per start to go along with the 2.71 ERA and 127 K's to 19 BB's. He has pitched 100 innings and could come close to 200 for the season. However, we also know that Sale faltered in the final months (and the postseason) in 2017 and 2018 before ending the 2019 season early with just 25 starts. So I think the Braves will err on the side of caution this season because they want him for 2025 and 2026.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    It's more complicated than you guys are saying. Sale made it clear that, whoever he played for this year, must agree to 3 years, 2024-2026. And he could do that as a 10year/5 year veteran of MLB and of the Sox.

I think it's the 3 year contract that made it very easy for the Sox not only to let Sale go, but to send $17M with him.

So why oh why did the Braves agree to 3 years? I think they looked at the bigger picture, which is that, after TJ surgery and presumably a rebuilt and stronger Sale, he never got a real chance to show what he could do until 2023.

Last year was 4 years after his last real season, so chances were he was rediscovering what he could still do: 20 starts, 6 complete games, 125 IP, 125 K's, 29 BB's, ERA 4.30. The Braves decided, correctly, that something like the old Sale was doable/possible.

But, as we have seen, this season they have been careful to give him a minimum of 6 days rest between starts and sometimes 7. In return, Sale has averaged 6.25 innings per start to go along with the 2.71 ERA and 127 K's to 19 BB's. He has pitched 100 innings and could come close to 200 for the season. However, we also know that Sale faltered in the final months (and the postseason) in 2017 and 2018 before ending the 2019 season early with just 25 starts. So I think the Braves will err on the side of caution this season because they want him for 2025 and 2026.

Sale had no leverage to make the Red Sox extend him; due to his rights as a 10/5 player, he did have leverage with any potential trading partner. It’s possible that a deal or two before Atlanta were quashed by Sale when he never received an extension…