Register now to remove this ad

Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Too many auto-outs for certain lineups has doomed their ability to score runs for stretches of the season.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm not sure what it is you don't get. The theory is pretty simple:

-Henry's role in this was limited to giving Breslow the budget. The budget was low throttle.
    -Breslow wanted to sign Giolito and make some other acquisitions.
    -He didn't have enough room in the budget to sign Giolito and make those other acquisitions without cutting payroll somewhere else.
    -Trading Sale cut 10 million.

All very simple stuff.
    That’s one theory.

Another one is they saw the chance to move Sale’s contract, which had been largely unproductive for the past 4 years.

Atlanta had reportedly shown interest in the past, so the Sox reached out and asked about Grissom. As Atlanta was not about to surrender a piece as valuable as Grissom for a pitcher who could very easily miss the entire season again, they agreed assuming the Sox took on the bulk of the financial risk.

Sale then insisted on some sort of an extension as a condition of approving the trade. There was absolutely no other reason to extend him so quickly. None whatsoever.

Now without Sale, the Sox needed an arm in the rotation. They identified Giolito as a good option due to his durability, as they hoped he could handle the innings Sale couldn’t.

I’m not as sure Giolito was the primary focus like in your narrative. I think offloading Sale’s deal rather than going through another year of hoping he would bounce back and salvage the season. They preferred to try players that might actually play.

It couldn’t have turned out worse. But it always looked to me like that was the goal.

Deity
    I'm not sure what it is you don't get. The theory is pretty simple:

-Henry's role in this was limited to giving Breslow the budget. The budget was low throttle.
    -Breslow wanted to sign Giolito and make some other acquisitions.
    -He didn't have enough room in the budget to sign Giolito and make those other acquisitions without cutting payroll somewhere else.
    -Trading Sale cut 10 million.

All very simple stuff.
    A much simpler way to cut $10mill would have been selling high on Chris Martin. Sale, coming off 4 years of extensive inactivity, was a tough move and one they paid almost 3/4 of. Plus was more expensive to replace.

I’d think if the goal was to cut $10mill, Martin was a better option as trade bait…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Now without Sale, the Sox needed an arm in the rotation. They identified Giolito as a good option due to his durability, as they hoped he could handle the innings Sale couldn’t.
    The signing of Giolito was actually announced the day before the Sale trade was announced. Looks like they were probably both in the works at the same time.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    That’s one theory.

Another one is they saw the chance to move Sale’s contract, which had been largely unproductive for the past 4 years.

Atlanta had reportedly shown interest in the past, so the Sox reached out and asked about Grissom. As Atlanta was not about to surrender a piece as valuable as Grissom for a pitcher who could very easily miss the entire season again, they agreed assuming the Sox took on the bulk of the financial risk.

Sale then insisted on some sort of an extension as a condition of approving the trade. There was absolutely no other reason to extend him so quickly. None whatsoever.

I’m not as sure Giolito was the primary focus like in your narrative. I think offloading Sale’s deal rather than going through another year of hoping he would bounce back and salvage the season. They preferred to try players that might actually play.

It couldn’t have turned out worse. But it always looked to me like that was the goal.
    Moving Sale’s contract? Still paying $17M out of $27M is not moving a contract to me.
    A piece as valuable to Grissom? Grissom had a chance to win a job in Atlanta, but couldn’t do it, but obviously the Braves got someone to take him, and get Sale in return, and have the Red Sox kick in $17M to boot to pay more than half of Sales contract. Pretty generous of JH.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Moving Sale’s contract? Still paying $17M out of $27M is not moving a contract to me.
    A piece as valuable to Grissom? Grissom had a chance to win a job in Atlanta, but couldn’t do it, but obviously the Braves got someone to take him, and get Sale in return, and have the Red Sox kick in $17M to boot to pay more than half of Sales contract. Pretty generous of JH.
    Aren't you always whining about him being cheap? So is he generous or cheap?

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Aren't you always whining about him being cheap? So is he generous or cheap?
    From all the chatter that I’ve been reading, and hearing on the Sale matter MOST people have opinionated that JH was real generous to the Braves, which I questioned when the trade happened. Paying the Braves $17M for Sale to pitch for them is pretty easy what to call it for MOST. Also there has been a lot more people on here, and there calling out JH for being cheap.🙈🤭

JH is not cheap confirmed. He is a generous lizard person.

Henry generously donated Lester to the Cubs to help them break a 108-year title drought, and he donated Betts to the Dodgers to help them break a 32-year drought.

Deity
    Henry generously donated Lester to the Cubs to help them break a 108-year title drought, and he donated Betts to the Dodgers to help them break a 32-year drought.
    Lester was, and still is a JH puzzler. He didn’t want to pay Lester, but then went out, and paid twice the price for Price.

Lester was, and still is a JH puzzler. He didn’t want to pay Lester, but then went out, and paid twice the price for Price.
    He has changed his mind many times.

I am writing a paper on JH being the most generous owner in baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    I am writing a paper on JH being the most generous owner in baseball
    Don't take everything literally though.

Deity
    Yes, they wanted to move Sale’s contract. Did the part about Atlanta asking Boston take the financial burden not show up on your screen? Or do you only read partial posts so as to leave room for irrelevant criticisms? And despite his brief performance in Boston, Grissom was absolutely a valuable trade piece, and one the Braves were not merely handing over for nothing.

Why do you suppose the Sox paid $17mill? Or better question - why do you suppose Atlanta asked for a huge chunk of money be included along with Sale?

Why do you suppose the Sox paid $17mill? Or better question - why do you suppose Atlanta asked for a huge chunk of money be included along with Sale?
    Because the Sox are suckers and Atlanta was happy to take advantage?