Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We were all foolish on that point.
    Yeah, I have you read my quoted tagline?

I could delete it, but I strive for authenticity damnit!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    We were all foolish on that point.
    I never thought the Red Sox were going to go out, and sign any high priced FA pitcher this past offseason, but on the other hand I thought they were going to go out, and traded for a top of the rotation pitcher. All wrong.

It's my scarlet letter, I must wear it as a constant reminder. Never again.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Yeah, I have you read my quoted tagline?

I could delete it, but I strive for authenticity damnit!!!!
    I totally respect the accountability.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

we were all duped in our own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I never thought the Red Sox were going to go out, and sign any high priced FA pitcher this past offseason, but on the other hand I thought they were going to go out, and traded for a top of the rotation pitcher. All wrong.
    And it's pretty incredible that with Giolito getting injured and no additions whatsoever outside of one nice dumpster dive in Criswell, we're doing as well as we are.

It could all go sideways in a hurry if Houck and Crawford wear down.

Deity
    And it's pretty incredible that with Giolito getting injured and no additions whatsoever outside of one nice dumpster dive in Criswell, we're doing as well as we are.

It could all go sideways in a hurry if Houck and Crawford wear down.
    I’m sure Houck will be monitored the rest of the season, and has a BIG bounce back Friday against the Yankees.

I remember posters in here arguing about pitchers being injured more as starters.

I also remember shortly after listening to a soxprospects.com podcast where they were talking about a study into this. I should probably look this up to verify that I'm not mixing it up and it's the other way around but I believe there's no relationship between starting and relieving for elbow injuries BUT starting pitchers tend to sustain a much greater number of shoulder injuries than relief pitchers.

I think Tanners low pitch counts will allow him to pitch deeper in the season BUT he's at his career high right now. You can't just shake that off, and if this team does make it into the playoffs that will be even more stress on his elbow. Which seemingly is fine.....but we should hope it stays that way.

I don't know how you can even think about doing this from a roster construction point of view, but from a physiological point of view, it almost makes sense to shut down every pitcher for 2 weeks in the middle of every season. You won't see that, but in a hypothetical alternate universe I bet that reduces a lot of elbow injuries.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    I was the main one arguing for starters being injured more often. I remember citing at least one piece on the matter.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    I was the main one arguing for starters being injured more often. I remember citing at least one piece on the matter.
    That’s an odd stance to take.

I prefer arguing against starters being injured more often…

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post

I looked it up, it's shoulder injuries for starting pitchers. Elbows seem to be equal opportunity blow outs. Or at least according to some sources, admittedly I haven't read them myself.

I don't think anyone hated the Kluber signing.
    I hated him throwing at Nunez for swinging too hard. Arrogant pitcher -- does Nunez then get to throw his bat at you, for trying to throw too hard?

Kluber's last pitch before Boston signed him was a playoff-losing gopher ball that knocked the Rays out of the '22 playoffs. Those pitching experts in Tampa were glad to see him go to the Red Sox.

I also thought signing Giolito -- who sucked the last two seasons -- as the new ace, smacked of mid-market pretense.

The guy I coveted actually coming off success was Montgomery. Imagine where we'd be with him right now: sixth place? Seventh?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I hated him throwing at Nunez for swinging too hard. Arrogant pitcher -- does Nunez then get to throw his bat at you, for trying to throw too hard?

Kluber's last pitch before Boston signed him was a playoff-losing gopher ball that knocked the Rays out of the '22 playoffs. Those pitching experts in Tampa were glad to see him go to the Red Sox.

I also thought signing Giolito -- who sucked the last two seasons -- as the new ace, smacked of mid-market pretense.
    Yes, their approach to the rotation this offseason, including trading Sale, was very mid-market, and I don't object to the "pretentious" part either.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

The guy I coveted actually coming off success was Montgomery. Imagine where we'd be with him right now: sixth place? Seventh?
    Monty, and his 6+ ERA is currently on the IL with a knee problem. I’m sure there was offers out there that he had wished he’d taken now. Him, and Snell.

Hardly a day goes by without another pitcher going on the I.L.
    Old school is good school.