Register now to remove this ad

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Absolutely. They should have signed more pitching. But we can assess moves individually. I think the trade and sign was fine, the rest of the offseason was not.
    And my opinion is that because their intentions were obviously not to spend much on the rotation-again-it makes their intentions in trading Sale more questionable.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And my opinion is that because their intentions were obviously not to spend much on the rotation-again-it makes their intentions in trading Sale more questionable.
    I don't agree with the Sale part because I personally thought he was done.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    You're right, but I think it's fair to question their overall approach in assembling the 2024 rotation, and these moves are part of that.

They didn't do anything about replacing Giolito, so in effect they decided we would get by with the same rotation as last year, minus Sale.

That seems like a recipe for disaster. The disaster has been postponed so far by the performances and health of Houck and Crawford holding up.
    Just ending the search for pitching at Giolito was a definite problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    I don't agree with the Sale part because I personally thought he was done.
    I'm giving credit to the Braves for thinking that he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Just ending the search for pitching at Giolito was a definite problem..
    It's the same problem that's been going on since Bloom was hired. They refuse to sign starting pitchers other than dumpster dives/reclamation projects.

So Trevor Story is the next Chris Sale right?

So lets hope we keep him and he comes back healthy next year and plays like it's 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    It's the same problem that's been going on since Bloom was hired. They refuse to sign starting pitchers other than dumpster dives/reclamation projects.
    Yes.

It’s possible they view starting pitching as the riskiest among MLB investments, and Commodity Boy didn’t like risky investments.

But when I saw experienced MLB arms like Lauer, German and Odorizzi going for MiLB contracts, I couldn’t help but wonder why Boston still wasn’t involved…

Deity
    So Trevor Story is the next Chris Sale right?

So lets hope we keep him and he comes back healthy next year and plays like it's 2019
    If we keep him and he comes back, then he definitely isn’t the next Chris Sale…

Deity
    I'm giving credit to the Braves for thinking that he wasn't.
    Even if they thought he wasn’t done, in no way did the expect him to be as good as he has been…

I have my doubts breaking pitches have lead to an increase in TJ surgery. Isn’t the procedure also becoming increasingly necessary among position players? They don’t throw breaking pitches…
    I haven't seen that so much, but maybe those who need TJ are regulars throwing irregular? Ly?

... not counting Trevor Alternative-Ending Story, who gets hurt doing all kinds of shortstop things.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I haven't seen that so much, but maybe those who need TJ are regulars throwing irregular? Ly?

... not counting Trevor Alternative-Ending Story, who gets hurt doing all kinds of shortstop things.
    I have to reply to myself cuz it would let me edit, but also: the prevailing wisdom the past half century for adolescent ballplayers was a strict avoidance of snapping off curveballs... at least, until their ligaments and tendons were full-grown -- which may have been an old coach's tale (like red meat as a healthy source of protein... or rap "singers").

Deity

Bryce Harper just had TJ a couple years ago. Also Aaron Hicks, Didi Grigorius, Corey Seager.

I wonder if the increased frequency is more a function of the increased availability of the surgery…

Bryce Harper just had TJ a couple years ago. Also Aaron Hicks, Didi Grigorius, Corey Seager.

I wonder if the increased frequency is more a function of the increased availability of the surgery…
    Probably - remember reading some high school pitchers were getting it done, just to add velo... but not everyone comes back better than ever from surgery. I know at least one kid who was never the same after TJ, and his pro career ended shortly after recovery.

There's also only one Doctor Re-attache out there...

Probably - remember reading some high school pitchers were getting it done, just to add velo... but not everyone comes back better than ever from surgery. I know at least one kid who was never the same after TJ, and his pro career ended shortly after recovery.

Not discrediting what you read, but if someone is performing surgery that a kid doesn't require they should be losing their medical license and should be sued for malpractice.

From my understanding, the surgery itself doesn't make someone strogner and add velocity but rather the extensive training they undertake to recover from the surgery often adds velocity to a lot of guys.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity

That was an incredibly stupid trend.

TJ surgery doesn’t add velocity. It does help some pitchers recover velocity they have lost due to wear and tear on their pitching arm, but that’s NOT the same thing…