Register now to remove this ad

Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Even though Gio didn't earn a penny pitching for the Red Sox this season, he gets to opt-in and stick around for another year.

Divorce sucks so much, maybe marriage contracts should include an opt-in clause.

The next time someone wants to kick me out of the house, I'm going to opt-in. Maybe she'll let me earn back a starting position... after a rehab assignment, of course. Wait a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That’s why I can’t call it was a salary dump. This deal increased spending slightly…
    The problem with this argument is you can attribute that money to anything. Maybe they used that money saved to extend Bello, or Rafaela? If it was done last year we could of said the money was used to sign Yoshida OR Turner or Jansen.

I think it should be good enough just to say that Giolito has turned out to be a bad signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes I did. I also thought at the time full throttle was a real thing, that the hype about Grissom was well founded, and that there were some big moves yet to come. If I knew at the time the sum total of starter acquisitions would be Giolito, my opinion of this move would have been much different, I believe.
    Ok.

In hindsight, this deal has blown up in multiple ways. I had a good amount of faith in Crawford, Houck and Bello that to me, just adding an innings eater was enough to give this rotation a serious boost. So I liked this deal a lot more when I thought Giolito would pitch, Sale probably wouldn’t, and Grissom would step right in.

I will say that despite his rocky start, Grissom appears to still be a favorite of Lou Merloni’s, not only as a player but as a person. And even if 2024 is a wasted year, he still might be worthwhile…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    The problem with this argument is you can attribute that money to anything. Maybe they used that money saved to extend Bello, or Rafaela? If it was done last year we could of said the money was used to sign Yoshida OR Turner or Jansen.

I think it should be good enough just to say that Giolito has turned out to be a bad signing.
    I was just talking about saying $10mil from Sale and then spending an additional $18mill just to replace Sale…

Deity
    You're combining two deals into one.
    Yes, because I’m theorizing that they are connected…

Deity
    That’s why I can’t call it was a salary dump. This deal increased spending slightly…
    When I first heard about the trade I didn’t know the Red Sox were paying Atlanta $17M, but after learning about the $17M it didn’t make sense to me financially when I thought the Red Sox were watching what came out of JH wallet.

I would love to know what some of the front office conversations about this were like. I'm guessing someone raised the possibility of Sale doing exactly what he's doing, and is quietly in "told you so" mode these days...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    When I first heard about the trade I didn’t know the Red Sox were paying Atlanta $17M, but after learning about the $17M it didn’t make sense to me financially when I thought the Red Sox were watching what came out of JH wallet.
    I wasn’t surprised. Even in a lot of “salary dump” deals, the team trading the player away still pays the larger share. They take their savings where they can…

Deity
    I would love to know what some of the front office conversations about this were like. I'm guessing someone raised the possibility of Sale doing exactly what he's doing, and is quietly in "told you so" mode these days...
    Oh no doubt.

And how will it impact further salary dump trades? Because what not many are discussing is just how ridiculously improbable this Sale bounce back has been…

Deity
    I wasn’t surprised. Even in a lot of “salary dump” deals, the team trading the player away still pays the larger share. They take their savings where they can…
    I don’t think they sign Gio without trading Sale, so that amounts to around $35M compared to just keeping Sale at $27M.

Oh no doubt.

And how will it impact further salary dump trades? Because what not many are discussing is just how ridiculously improbable this Sale bounce back has been…
    I don't think the Braves believed that him having a good season was ridiculously improbable, but I'm sure he's exceeding their expectations.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Oh no doubt.

Whoa, Nellie. Count me as one who thought last year that the old Sale was emerging and that he would be pretty decent this year. What kept him out longer than expected was that bicycle accident in ST. But the TJ surgery did in fact give Sale a new lease on life, good enough for the Braves to commit to two more years, 2025 and 2026.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Whoa, Nellie. Count me as one who thought last year that the old Sale was emerging and that he would be pretty decent this year. What kept him out longer than expected was that bicycle accident in ST. But the TJ surgery did in fact give Sale a new lease on life, good enough for the Braves to commit to two more years, 2025 and 2026.
    “Pretty decent” is one thing. At this point, Sale is a Cy Young candidate.

If I asked you to find another example of a pitcher who, at age 35, suddenly started pitching like he did at age 29, despite having pitched much less effective and much less often from ages 30-34, could you? Sale was nowhere this good back in 2019, and that was five years ago.

Even Luis Tiant was younger when he had his very successful bounce back. He was only 31 when it started and by age 35, he was starting to decline again.

Granted, Sale was always in better physical shape than Luis. But to do this at his current age is probably unprecedented….

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    It’s also extremely possible the Braves committed those extra years to get Sale to approve the trade. This is very common, and since the extension happened so quickly - within a couple days of the trade, it had very likely been mentioned before the deal was completed, which almost always means the player is insisting on it before approving the deal.

As Sale was a 10/5 player at the time, he absolutely had that right…

The real question is whether the Red Sox 2023-2024 offseason plan for the rotation made sense as a whole, the plan being to remove Chris Sale and add Lucas Giolito and do nothing else. If you were told before the offseason that was the entirety of the plan, what grade would you give it on a 1 to 10 scale, from terrible to awesome?
    I made myself very clear all through the winter I was not happy with our winter moves on pitching.

That does not mean I think the Sale deal “made no sense at all.”

I was not a Gio fan but appreciated the effort to go more than$10M/1. It was a major swing and miss but an effort, nonetheless.

I was the guy that wanted 3 SPers added and guys like Whitlock and Crawford starting in the pen. I knew it would never happen but I thought maybe 2 would be nice. I had hoped for Lugo and Imanaga but also liked the idea of Monty or Gray.

We fell way short of my wishes. I’d probably have given the totality of our rotation moves a 2.