Register now to remove this ad

Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Your welcome! Your diagnosis was he was going through a divorce, so how long did you examine Gio?
    Oh I just acknowledged the possibility, as did a few others. I never said anything was “most likely”, especially on a player who was examined by two teams in the second half of last season alone…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Did you feel this way when the Sox dealt Price?

Not about Mookie, whom we all wanted. Just Price…
    I was ambivalent about trading Price. But I was too much in shock about trading Betts to devote much of my attention to the Price part, honestly.

One thing I'll always remember is that Kimmi, who hates bloated contracts more than anyone, didn't understand trading Price. Why? Because we needed the pitching. My guess is she didn't like the Sale trade much either, for the same reason.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

Oh I just acknowledged the possibility, as did a few others. I never said anything was “most likely”, especially on a player who was examined by two teams in the second half of last season alone…
    The difference is that I said most likely after the fact long after he had surgery where you did it in real time when he was signed, and before surgery was needed. The divorce theory was just what some wanted it to be instead of a physical problem on why Gio was pitching HR derby. All for the low, low price of $38M🙈🤭🤮

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I was ambivalent about trading Price. But I was too much in shock about trading Betts to devote much of my attention to the Price part, honestly.

One thing I'll always remember is that Kimmi, who hates bloated contracts more than anyone, didn't understand trading Price. Why? Because we needed the pitching. My guess is she didn't like the Sale trade much either, for the same reason.

I can understand sort of blowing past Price. If anything, the inclusion of Price dragged down Mookie.

There was one big difference between Price and Sale before their respective trades - Price was actually pitching. In his 4 years prior to being dealt, Ptice through nearly 4 times as many innings as Sale did in a corresponding stretch. Both had similar seasons before the trade. But in his last 3 years after being dealt, Price only threw some 20 more IP than Sale has already given Atlanta.

Trading Price didn’t come back to haunt them. (This cannot be said for the rest of that trade.)

Sale was much less risky to deal. It just blew up. There’s a reason if you go back through this thread, very few people actually thought trading Sale was a bad idea at the time. Including you…
    Last edited by notin; 07-01-2024 at 10:38 AM.

A medical diagnosis!! We are all so glad you took time out of your busy schedule to examine Mr. Giolito…
    As someone who went thru a divorce I can personally attest to how much of an effect it can have on a man. How anyone can discount that? I just don't know.

It's also well known that every single mlb deal that ever happens requires a physical. Giolito has had an elbow injury that has been pre-existing dating back to HS, if there was a change in there they would have seen it.

If he blew his elbow out we would have known about it earlier than March of 2024. THere's no way he tore that thing and pitched/worked out on it for the next 6-7 months. You'd expect a guy who is a gym rat to have some basic knowledge of human physiology and be able to understand that......but here we are.

Also, if Giolito had torn his elbow in 2023 and that is what caused his 2nd half regression there would be a drop in his velocity. HIS VELOCITY ACTUALLY WENT UP.

The facts support the exact opposite of what some posters are implying. Pitchers get injured, it happens today more than any other day. When one is a donny downer, they tend to find the alternative facts they need to support their theories to critisize the people they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    The difference is that I said most likely after the fact long after he had surgery where you did it in real time when he was signed, and before surgery was needed. The divorce theory was just what some wanted it to be instead of a physical problem on why Gio was pitching HR derby. All for the low, low price of $38M������
    Yes it was all after the fact, which of course is true about his divorce stuff as well. Not like any of us predicted it.

But Giolito pitched for two teams after July last year and then reached free agency. That’s a lot of medical exams in a short time. Health when the Sox signed him should have been well documented…

Giolito's velocity went up at the end of last year. End of argument, anyone implying he blew his elbow out and pitched worse all while magically somehow pitching faster is just not facing the facts of the matter.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Sale was much less risky to deal. It just blew up. There’s a reason if you go back through this thread, very few people actually thought trading Sale was a bad idea at the time. Including you…
    I said little about this trade at the time because I was waiting to see what other moves were coming. I assumed this meant we would making some significant additions to the rotation. They did tell us they would be. I never dreamed it would only be Giolito. And I said if they signed Giolito I would puke.

Actually when I look back at the first part of this thread moon was the one raising the most doubts about this trade. Largely because he was very dubious they would spend the $10 million they saved.

Deity

Giolito's velocity went up at the end of last year. End of argument, anyone implying he blew his elbow out and pitched worse all while magically somehow pitching faster is just not facing the facts of the matter.
    Number 1 it’s not an argument much to you trying to make it one. Just theories being thrown out there. Maybe Gio was just practicing to be a HR derby pitcher with the coincidence that he was going through a divorce. At any rate Brez saw fit to pay him $38M. What a deal. As always so nice to hear from you.🤫

Deity
    Actually when I look back at the first part of this thread moon was the one raising the most doubts about this trade. Largely because he was very dubious they would spend the $10 million they saved.
    I keep hearing about $10M that was saved, but paying Gio $18M, and Sale $17M doesn’t seem like a savings to me.

Deity
    Post 130, you clearly state you were on board because you liked that they acquired Grissom and it wasn’t a straight sales dump.

And that’s fine. That’s how I felt about the deal. And almost everyone else, with very few notable exceptions. It seemed like a good plan,and a low risk plan, even if Giolito was taking steps backwards.

But Murphy’s Law just ran amok on it…
    Last edited by notin; 07-01-2024 at 10:57 AM.

Deity
    I keep hearing about $10M that was saved, but paying Gio $18M, and Sale $17M doesn’t seem like a savings to me.
    That’s why I can’t call it was a salary dump. This deal increased spending slightly…

Post 130, you clearly state you were on board because you liked that they acquired Grissom and it wasn’t a straight sales dump.
    Yes I did. I also thought at the time full throttle was a real thing, that the hype about Grissom was well founded, and that there were some big moves yet to come. If I knew at the time the sum total of starter acquisitions would be Giolito, my opinion of this move would have been much different, I believe.

That’s why I can’t call it was a salary dump. This deal increased spending slightly…
    You're combining two deals into one.