Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It made total sense to me. The new CBO didn't need Theo's employee research firm to immediately move on from the past regime's biggest disappointment -- a guy another predecessor hitched the franchise wagon-train behind, but who couldn't take them anywhere with broken axles. No wishing or hoping or praying could repair the damage.

Sale's contract was welded onto the payroll, weighing it down, before Breslow convinced his boss to pay $17 million for an alien forklift to tractor beam the pitcher out of New England and deposit him in Atlanta.

(yes, these are mixed petit fours, and I recommend the lemon one with vanilla frosting)
    Exactly.

But wow has this flopped.

The guy who was supposed to at a minimum, supply IP, is out for the year.

The guy they didn’t think could supply IP is not only supplying them, but is doing so with an efficiency we haven’t seen out of him since 2018. Even if the Sox kept Sale, I would have thought the 2019 version was best case scenario.

The hot prospect has been sick, injured, absent, and ineffective when he does show up.

And the guys the hot prospect was supposed to replace each showed they are capable of carrying the team for short stretches.

And those complete and utter lack of upgrades only cost the team about $7.5mill!!

It made total sense to me. The new CBO didn't need Theo's employee research firm to immediately move on from the past regime's biggest disappointment -- a guy another predecessor hitched the franchise wagon-train behind, but who couldn't take them anywhere with broken axles. No wishing or hoping or praying could repair the damage.

Sale's contract was welded onto the payroll, weighing it down, before Breslow convinced his boss to pay $17 million for an alien forklift to tractor beam the pitcher out of New England and deposit him in Atlanta.

(yes, these are mixed petit fours, and I recommend the lemon one with vanilla frosting)
    Nice post, as always.

It is possible for a deal to make sense, then flop.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

It's not too often I enjoy seeing the Red Sox get burnt on a trade, but I'm enjoying this one, because I think they're getting burned for being too cheap and too clever.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nice post, as always.

It is possible for a deal to make sense, then flop.
    The real question is whether the Red Sox 2023-2024 offseason plan for the rotation made sense as a whole, the plan being to remove Chris Sale and add Lucas Giolito and do nothing else. If you were told before the offseason that was the entirety of the plan, what grade would you give it on a 1 to 10 scale, from terrible to awesome?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's not too often I enjoy seeing the Red Sox get burnt on a trade, but I'm enjoying this one, because I think they're getting burned for being too cheap and too clever.
    The funny part too is that some on here just brushed off Gio’s bad second half collapse on personal problems, when most likely his arm was failing, and now the Red Sox on on the hoof for $38M for Gio, and $17M for Sale. Burnt to a Crisp.

To me the Johnny Obvious approach to Sale was to keep him and hope for the best. I firmly believe that's what a typical big market team would do in any case like this. The Red Sox seem determined to show they're the filthy rich guys that are gonna do things differently. And it keeps blowing up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    The funny part too is that some on here just brushed off Gio’s bad second half collapse on personal problems, when most likely his arm was failing, and now the Red Sox on on the hoof for $38M for Gio, and $17M for Sale. Burnt to a Crisp.
    It was never funny to me, because Giolito's ERA was borderline 5 runs per 9 innings the past two seasons. And fans were supposed to be ok with the newest smartest CBO paying him twice the price as Kluber and Richards combined?

Obviously every free agent is a roll of the dice, but isn't that a problem with a front office regime that supposedly relies so much on the odds? Some can say we should trust the front office people who know more than we do, but fans can research stats, too.

And Gio's innings-eater rep did nothing for me -- even before he blew out his elbow. Who wants to leave a guy on the mound to lead the team in innings pitched if he also leads in giving up the most runs?

Deity
    It was never funny to me, because Giolito's ERA was borderline 5 runs per 9 innings the past two seasons. And fans were supposed to be ok with the newest smartest CBO paying him twice the price as Kluber and Richards combined?

Obviously every free agent is a roll of the dice, but isn't that a problem with a front office regime that supposedly relies so much on the odds? Some can say we should trust the front office people who know more than we do, but fans can research stats, too.

And Gio's innings-eater rep did nothing for me -- even before he blew out his elbow. Who wants to leave a guy on the mound to lead the team in innings pitched if he also leads in giving up the most runs?
    Obviously Brez liked Gio pretty much.

Obviously Brez liked Gio pretty much.
    There are some here convinced what Brez really liked was the price of Gio, compared to what it would cost for more coveted starting pitchers on that free agent market.

Maybe what he gave Giolito was all Breslow was allowed to spend on the rotation.

And the Giolito contract only gave the Red Sox one year of control over him. 2025 was a player option (which of course he will exercise now). Which led to early speculation they might trade him at the 2024 deadline if he was doing well. That's how our Red Sox operate these days.

Deity
    To me the Johnny Obvious approach to Sale was to keep him and hope for the best. I firmly believe that's what a typical big market team would do in any case like this. The Red Sox seem determined to show they're the filthy rich guys that are gonna do things differently. And it keeps blowing up on them.

Did you feel this way when the Sox dealt Price?

Not about Mookie, whom we all wanted. Just Price…
    Last edited by notin; Yesterday at 09:46 AM.

And the Giolito contract only gave the Red Sox one year of control over him. 2025 was a player option (which of course he will exercise now). Which led to early speculation they might trade him at the 2024 deadline if he was doing well. That's how our Red Sox operate these days.
    Makes sense if they have zero plans to add reinforcements to the payroll this summer and go for it ... which will also confirm they have no intention to pay Cora what he's worth, after it doesn't end well in September.

Breslow will then bring in a new, young, energetic manager at entry-level pay -- a guy we will be told is the right man to lead the young bucks, someone they will all relate to (at least, when waiting in line at the bank to cash their checks on payday).

Deity

A medical diagnosis!! We are all so glad you took time out of your busy schedule to examine Mr. Giolito…
    Last edited by notin; Yesterday at 10:01 AM.

Deity

I don’t know what they saw in Giolito, but the Angels and Guardians were not phased by his performance…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A medical diagnosis!! We are all so glad you took time out of your busy schedule to examine Mr. Giolito…
    Your welcome! Your diagnosis was he was going through a divorce, so how long did you examine Gio?