Register now to remove this ad

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We're all free to speculate our asses off, when it comes to that.
    I think the days of $200mill payrolls are over for a while. It’s possible Henry frees up the cash if remaining cheap does not produce winning teams at some point. But if they win cheaply, it absolutely pushes that date back.

And I think Henry will go through multiple front offices to find someone who can win cheaply before he reinstated lofty payrolls again…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why not?

Sale and Kluber had a lot in common. Two aging pitchers who once dominated the AL but both pitching sparingly in recent years due to a combination of age and injury…
    Well, I didn't think the Kluber signing was horrible in itself. It was the fact that it was the only signing that bothered me. You can't have enough pitching is still a principle that makes sense. Trading Sale went against that principle.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Plus Sale's numbers would indicate that what he's doing is working just fine. I thought Bailey's philosophy was for guys to do what they do best.
    Had it worked well for the last 4 years on the org? Another important aspect is that these guys are people, not robots. With the way the last couple of years had worked out, it's likely Sale wanted out of here too. Speculation aside, even if what he's doing is working for the Braves, it didn't fit for this system. There were just too many downsides to consider when you take into account, they really liked Grissom (with reason) and he may still work out.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Yes, I do.
    So you only buy into the parts of Bailey’s philosophy that work?

(This sounds condescending up front, but I would state the majority of sports’ fans have similar thoughts about some aspect of something the front office does.)

Deity
    Well, I didn't think the Kluber signing was horrible in itself. It was the fact that it was the only signing that bothered me. You can't have enough pitching is still a principle that makes sense. Trading Sale went against that principle.
    Unless Sale got hurt.

I mean, if I asked you in January for a prediction for IP for 2024 for Sale and Giolito, whose would be higher?

Granted, I do believe with no evidence that the Sox don’t sign Giolito unless they move Sale…

According to Cot's, we're $18M under the cap. What I don't understand is when the front office says our budget is $220M? Is that cash or luxury tax payroll.

If money was not an issue, we can trade Jansen, Martin and O'Neill (I'm not proposing it) and get more in return by taking on all their dollar amounts left on their respective contracts. That probably won't happen so I'm not so sure we'll get quality prospect (s) in return. If a trading partner doesn't take on say Jansen's remaining contract for the second half obviously they maybe enticed to giving us better prospects. We're buying prospects at this point, not just trading for them.

Our tax payroll is $218M so $220M cap probably applies to the tax payroll.
    Last edited by Nick; 06-23-2024 at 11:21 AM.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    Had it worked well for the last 4 years on the org? Another important aspect is that these guys are people, not robots. With the way the last couple of years had worked out, it's likely Sale wanted out of here too. Speculation aside, even if what he's doing is working for the Braves, it didn't fit for this system.
    You seem to be suggesting he's applying a one size fits all approach.

All the quotes I see from Bailey emphasize tailoring the approach to each pitcher, finding out what they do well and having them do it a lot.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 06-23-2024 at 11:20 AM.

Deity

You seem to be suggesting he's applying a one size fits all approach.

All the quotes I see from Bailey emphasize tailoring the approach to each pitcher, finding out what they do well and having them do it a lot.
    Exactly, and one size doesn’t fit all. It Sale would have stayed he would have pitched the same way he has always pitched, and the same way he is pitching in Atlanta.🤭🙈

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to Cot's, we're $18M under the cap. What I don't understand is when the front office says our budget is $220M? Is that cash or luxury tax payroll.

If money was not an issue, we can trade Jansen, Martin and O'Neill (I'm not proposing it) and get more in return by taking on all their dollar amounts left on their respective contracts. That probably won't happen so I'm not so sure we'll get quality prospect (s) in return. If a trading partner doesn't take on say Jansen's remaining contract for the second half obviously they maybe enticed to giving us better prospects. We're buying prospects at this point, not just trading for them.

Our tax payroll is $218M so $220M cap probably applies to the tax payroll.
    i totally agree. they are all simply rentals and unless we retain $$ i dont see us getting much in the way of decent prospects but hey maybe some team has another " Grissom" they want to unload. As for Henry it is all about unloading more payroll.

While the Tax line shows about $218M ($18M under the first tax line,) the player 2024 payroll is about $171M. This number includes:
    17 Sale
    1.5 Cooper
    1.0 Joely
    1.0 Hosmer+Reyes+Jacques+ V Gutierrez
    In total, over $20M for players not on our rooster.

and...
    22.5 Story
    18.6 Yoshida
    18.0 Giolito
    3.5 Whitlock
    2.0 Hendriks
    This is almost $65M on the IL or just came off it (Yoshida.)

Together, these two lists equal about $86M, which is almost exactly half of our 2024 payroll.

Stunning!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    While the Tax line shows about $218M ($18M under the first tax line,) the player 2024 payroll is about $171M. This number includes:
    17 Sale
    1.5 Cooper
    1.0 Joely
    1.0 Hosmer+Reyes+Jacques+ V Gutierrez
    In total, over $20M for players not on our rooster.

and...
    22.5 Story
    18.6 Yoshida
    18.0 Giolito
    3.5 Whitlock
    2.0 Hendriks
    This is almost $65M on the IL or just came off it (Yoshida.)

Together, these two lists equal about $86M, which is almost exactly half of our 2024 payroll.

Stunning!
    I have to object to putting Yoshida on the second list because he had an IL stint LOL

I have to object to putting Yoshida on the second list because he had an IL stint LOL
    LOL.

Not on a ledge, though, right?

LOL

All-Star
    Alert:

Sox are the hottest team in baseball. Currently only 1 game out of the playoffs. Casas returning soon.

Authorities recommend that you immediately suspend any talk of trading players and root for this team. I repeat, we are jumping ON ship.

Deity
    I love young, healthy, tough players who can run. I would not trade Hamilton. Grissom may still be an asset. he is just a kid. I'm not worried at all about second base. Yoshida and to be honest with you Story would be on the table if anybody was interested. For a couple of years, Sale was the target for some due to injuries. As good as Story might be, I am for the guys that are in the lineup and don't want to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Alert:

Sox are the hottest team in baseball. Currently only 1 game out of the playoffs. Casas returning soon.

Authorities recommend that you immediately suspend any talk of trading players and root for this team. I repeat, we are jumping ON ship.
    We passed KCR, today and are in the WC3 slot by o.5 games (on KC.)

We have the 10th best record in MLB. (-1 from #9 MN and -2 from #8 SEA. -2.5 from ATL and -3 from MIL#6. That being said, we are also just 4.5 games from the bottom 10 in MLB.