Register now to remove this ad

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I sure JH is thrilled to death of having to pay $17M to the Braves for Sale to pitch as good as he has, and that has always made zero sense to me since the trade was made.
    I think JH and his low throttle budget had a lot to do with this. I think Breslow had to free up the stupid $10 million to make the other moves he wanted to make.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think JH and his low throttle budget had a lot to do with this. I think Breslow had to free up the stupid $10 million to make the other moves he wanted to make.
    Yes, but still paying $17M for Sale, and signing Gio for $38M, which probably wouldn’t have been done without freeing up that $10M for Sale turned out to be an expensive roll of that dice.

The argument that the Braves were in a better position to take a gamble on Sale, that they could afford it more than the Red Sox, is one that really irks me.

The Braves are in their second year of paying luxury tax and will likely be in their third year next year.
    The Red Sox are in their second year of not paying tax.

The Red Sox are #3 in team value per Forbes.
    The Braves are #8.

That argument is one that JH would love Sox fans to believe.

Deity
    The argument that the Braves were in a better position to take a gamble on Sale, that they could afford it more than the Red Sox, is one that really irks me.

The Braves are in their second year of paying luxury tax and will likely be in their third year next year.
    The Red Sox are in their second year of not paying tax.

The Red Sox are #3 in team value per Forbes.
    The Braves are #8.

That argument is one that JH would love Sox fans to believe.

I wasn’t looking at it financially. I meant from a pitching depth perspective.

The Sox lost out on Sale for most of the 4 previous seasons, and had no replacement ready for this despite it becoming a repeated inevitability.

The Braves had a slew of young pitchers, the bulk of were MLB ready but inexperienced. If they didn’t want to rely on any of Waldrep, Smith-Shawver, Elder, Schwellenbach, Vines, or Dodd for a full season, Sale was a good option to take. Unlike the Sox, they didn’t need Sale to stay healthy all season. Because they had the arms behind him the Sox didn’t have.

So yes, their depth put them in a better position to gamble on Sale…

Deity
    This is all gibberish.

The simple fact is the Red Sox didn't have to make this trade. They had very little to lose by keeping Sale. That's all I've been saying all along.

They rolled the dice and got burned big time. It is what it is.
    It’s not gibberish.

If the Sox dealt Sale last year and used the money to sign a pitcher more durable than Kluber, do you still feel that way?

They have Ben burned in tjs plan multiple ways. Giolito falling apart. Grissom never showing up. Sale being electric. Given the season to date, certainly Breslow doesn’t make this deal. But he didn’t have the data and eventssince February to make this decision.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    What pitcher represents a better gamble?

Pitcher A - 37yo with 240IP over the 3 previous seasons, including 164IP the season before?

Pitcher B - 35yo with 150IP over the 3 previous seasons, with a high of 102IP over that stretch?
    Couldn’t help but notice you didn’t answer this.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    I don't understand why you waste your time notin. Chris Sale was traded at the end of december. By that time, the new pitching infrastructure was set, and Andrew Bailey had enough time to specify his pitching philosophy and identify pitchers who could adapt to it.

Chris Sale is still throwing over 45% combined fastballs this season, in stark contrast to the Sox' new, (and so far very effective) pitching philosophy. It's very annoying to have smart people come to black/white conclusions about everything because "waaaaah Henry didn't wanna spend". On another note, Sale's fastballs have negative run values by most metrics (-2.7 for 4FSB, -1.4 for his sinker) while providing extraordinary value for his slider. Coupled with his health, and the Red Sox' clear need for a second base option, I don't understand the incessant whining, I really don't.
    WAR is good for something.

Deity
    Makes zero sense.
    So if the Sox re-signed Kluber, would you have liked or disliked it?

So if the Sox re-signed Kluber, would you have liked or disliked it?
    No relevance.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar
    Well, I would hope you realize you're presenting a whole different set of arguments from what the vast majority of the arguments about trading Sale have been.
    Point taken. But I would like to stress that not every decision taken for this organization is made because Henry doesn't want to spend money. Currently, there's a method to the madness. I'm still weary of this team's ability to identify veteran talent on large scale contracts, but I think the current org infrastructure is better prepared at both the MiLB and MLB levels. All of this is to say that I kinda understand what they're trying to do, and I don't they will be forever averse to spending, in spite of what most people think.
    WAR is good for something.

Plus Sale's numbers would indicate that what he's doing is working just fine. I thought Bailey's philosophy was for guys to do what they do best.

Deity
    Well, I would hope you realize you're presenting a whole different set of arguments from what the vast majority of the arguments about trading Sale have been.
    It is, but is it wrong?

I never thought about whether or not Sale fit their system; I just didn’t like having every season depend him only to be let down. Your argument is it was solely done for financial reasons. I actually didn’t like that one because the Sox contributed so much money and got a prospect they liked in return as opposed to just dumping the entire contract with minimal to nothing coming back.

Given this new viewpoint, do you still feel trading Sale was unnecessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre View Post
    All of this is to say that I kinda understand what they're trying to do, and I don't they will be forever averse to spending, in spite of what most people think.
    We're all free to speculate our asses off, when it comes to that.

Deity
    No relevance.
    Why not?

Sale and Kluber had a lot in common. Two aging pitchers who once dominated the AL but both pitching sparingly in recent years due to a combination of age and injury…

It is, but is it wrong?

I never thought about whether or not Sale fit their system; I just didn’t like having every season depend him only to be let down. Your argument is it was solely done for financial reasons. I actually didn’t like that one because the Sox contributed so much money and got a prospect they liked in return as opposed to just dumping the entire contract with minimal to nothing coming back.

Given this new viewpoint, do you still feel trading Sale was unnecessary?
    Yes, I do.