Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    No one is paying for a 1/3 year rental with a top 40 prospect. That rarely happens.
    I think the only ranked prospects moved last year at the deadline were for Scherzer and Verlander, both of whom were under control this year. And in both cases, the Mets kicked in lots of money…

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Just the facts Jack, and as usual you added nothing to the conversation. Another goose egg for goose.
    The first part of your statement (ending in “worse and worse.”) was fine. One can agree or disagree with it as they see fit.

Attempting to mock Grissom by using the name of an astronaut killed in the Apollo 1 fire 57 years ago is pathetic.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    The first part of your statement (ending in “worse and worse.”) was fine. One can agree or disagree with it as they see fit.

Attempting to mock Grissom by using the name of an astronaut killed in the Apollo 1 fire 57 years ago is pathetic.
    Not mocking Anyone Goose. Grissom has been a NO Show pretty much all year on the field, and mostly off the field, and that’s just a proven fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    not to get anything decent they don't
    Wait until you see how little some teams give up for significant players at the deadline. We can get real talent without trading a top 8-10 prospect, not just top 3.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Wait until you see how little some teams give up for significant players at the deadline. We can get real talent without trading a top 8-10 prospect, not just top 3.
    Despite today's and yesterday's horrible games, I now share your enthusiasm for making a smart trade next month. If, however, these two games are the harbinger of finishing last in the AL East, then I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No one is saying the trade has worked out. Just that it made more sense in January when no one knew Sale would actually be healthy and Giolito wouldn’t…
    It never made sense and was stupid from day 1 as was the Mookie trade. Sure we can explain the reasons for the stupidity, but it is still stupidity.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This is weird stuff though. Chris Sale couldn't stay healthy in a Red Sox uniform. They trade him away and he not only stays healthy (at least so far) but turns into a top starter again.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    like we have done the past 2-3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Despite today's and yesterday's horrible games, I now share your enthusiasm for making a smart trade next month. If, however, these two games are the harbinger of finishing last in the AL East, then I don't.
    There is still plenty of time for us to move into the sellers group.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    like we have done the past 2-3 years?
    Yes.

We have not even traded a4-20 prospect since Aldo Ramirez for Schwarber.

To be fair, yes, Grissom was a victim of that tragic fire, but he was also involved in the second space mission, and was prominently featured in The Right Stuff, so he's famous for more than just his sad death.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    To be fair, yes, Grissom was a victim of that tragic fire, but he was also involved in the second space mission, and was prominently featured in The Right Stuff, so he's famous for more than just his sad death.
    I know all that, though I’ll admit I have no memories of the Mercury program as it ended about the time I turned 5. I do remember him being part of the first manned Gemini mission though and obviously he would have been a part of the first Apollo flight had fate not intervened. I remember Virgil “Gus” Grissom very well.

My point to Old Red was merely that his attempt at humor using the nickname Gus for Vaughn Grissom was in very poor taste.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Red Sox thread; I’ll hijack it no further.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It never made sense and was stupid from day 1 as was the Mookie trade. Sure we can explain the reasons for the stupidity, but it is still stupidity.
    No need. I had re-read a lot of this thread recently, and you were clearly on a very short list of people who objected that day. The bulk of the crowd here were frustrated with Sale repeatedly getting hurt, had little faith in his health, probably had little faith in his abilities as he hadn’t really displayed them much over the last four years, and many were at least glad the Sox tried to use his trade to get a good player rather than just dumping all his cash, which is something they’ve had chances to do.

I get why Breslow made it, assuming his logic agrees with my thoughts. But this one couldn’t have worked out much worse…

Deity
    I know all that, though I’ll admit I have no memories of the Mercury program as it ended about the time I turned 5. I do remember him being part of the first manned Gemini mission though and obviously he would have been a part of the first Apollo flight had fate not intervened. I remember Virgil “Gus” Grissom very well.

My point to Old Red was merely that his attempt at humor using the nickname Gus for Vaughn Grissom was in very poor taste.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Red Sox thread; I’ll hijack it no further.
    Calling Grissom Gus was no attempt at any humor. I have lots of nicknames for players. I know two brothers whose last name is Grissom, and they are Both called Gus. Only you found a problem in that Goose.

No need. I had re-read a lot of this thread recently, and you were clearly on a very short list of people who objected that day. The bulk of the crowd here were frustrated with Sale repeatedly getting hurt, had little faith in his health, probably had little faith in his abilities as he hadn’t really displayed them much over the last four years, and many were at least glad the Sox tried to use his trade to get a good player rather than just dumping all his cash, which is something they’ve had chances to do.

I get why Breslow made it, assuming his logic agrees with my thoughts. But this one couldn’t have worked out much worse…
    It made total sense to me. The new CBO didn't need Theo's employee research firm to immediately move on from the past regime's biggest disappointment -- a guy another predecessor hitched the franchise wagon-train behind, but who couldn't take them anywhere with broken axles. No wishing or hoping or praying could repair the damage.

Sale's contract was welded onto the payroll, weighing it down, before Breslow convinced his boss to pay $17 million for an alien forklift to tractor beam the pitcher out of New England and deposit him in Atlanta.

(yes, these are mixed petit fours, and I recommend the lemon one with vanilla frosting)