Register now to remove this ad

Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So what was the point of dropping Sale to add Giolito? Clearly not to save money, since keeping Sale was $7mill cheaper…
    Somebody really like Giolito.

Sale's injury risk was obviously part of the calculus.

I think the spreadsheets had the final say.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Only Breslow knows all the whys and wherefores. Obviously somebody thought highly of Grissom.
    And that’s fine. But it also means this trade was not solely about saving money. They could have traded Sale for much less and included less cash, right?

And that’s fine. But it also means this trade was not solely about saving money. They could have traded Sale for much less and included less cash, right?
    Not solely, no. But I think the budget played a very big role.

We kept hearing the stories about the Red Sox having to shed payroll before they could sign Player X.

And Sam Kennedy practically bragged that the payroll was going to be lower than the previous year.

Deity
    Somebody really like Giolito.

Sale's injury risk was obviously part of the calculus.

I think the spreadsheets had the final say.
    It looks painfully obvious Sale’s injury risk was a driving factor here, not just part of the calculus. That the main contribution of his replacement is the ability to rack up IP also lends some support to this.

In this trade and subsequent transactions, the Sox

1. Moved on from Sale, who gave them 150IP in the past 4 years.
    2. Replaced him with a pitcher whose thrown nearly 600 IP in that same timeframe
    3. And added an MLB-ready 2b who was ranked as highly as #3 in a stacked Atlanta farm system to fill what had been a void in their infield.

The one thing they didn’t do was save money; they spent an additional $7mill for these moves.

The downsides are multiple, as Murphy’s Law just ran wild on the Sox here. Sale bounced back. The normally durable Giolito got injured. Grissom got off to a slow start and battled injuries and illness. The middle infielders that made him necessary (Valdez, Hamilton) all got off to great starts and leapfrogged him. But not one item on this list looked like any sort of obvious outcome…
    Last edited by notin; 06-29-2024 at 09:21 AM.

Deity
    Not solely, no. But I think the budget played a very big role.

We kept hearing the stories about the Red Sox having to shed payroll before they could sign Player X.

And Sam Kennedy practically bragged that the payroll was going to be lower than the previous year.
    Explain to me how trading Sale and singing Giolito saved money?

The Sox are playing Sale and Giolito a total of about $35mill this season. Before the deal, that number was only about $27.5 mill…

Explain to me how trading Sale and singing Giolito saved money?

The Sox are playing Sale and Giolito a total of about $35mill this season. Before the deal, that number was only about $27.5 mill…
    The point is that with the budget he was given, Breslow couldn't both keep Sale and sign Giolito. It's not that complicated.

All-Star
    The point is that with the budget he was given, Breslow couldn't both keep Sale and sign Giolito. It's not that complicated.
    I don’t think it was just about Giolito over Sale. There wasn’t a great market for up the middle defenders and the Sox had a gaping hole at 2nd base.

Breslow and Bailey probably thought they could get Giolito right, and given their track record one has to wonder how good he may have been this year if he didn’t get hurt.

Deity
    Only Breslow knows all the whys and wherefores. Obviously somebody thought highly of Grissom.
    Most of the main points look painfully obvious.

If the Sox had as much faith in Sale’s 40IP August/September last year as you think they should have, do you think they really trade him and sign Giolito?

They had no faith in him bouncing back, and he gave them very little reason to have any in recent years…

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    I don’t think it was just about Giolito over Sale. There wasn’t a great market for up the middle defenders and the Sox had a gaping hole at 2nd base.
    Yeah, but Grissom was and is a prospect, and you said it was about the future, so it's all kind of muddled.

Deity
    But Giolito made things MORE EXPENSIVE. Why was Giolito involved in this at all?

Most of the main points look painfully obvious.

If the Sox had as much faith in Sale’s 40IP August/September last year as you think they should have, do you think they really trade him and sign Giolito?

They had no faith in him bouncing back, and he gave them very little reason to have any in recent years…
    I don't blame them for not having faith. I blame them for throwing away the possibility of him having a decent season.

Like I said, it's not like they had a surplus of reliable starters.

But Giolito made things MORE EXPENSIVE. Why was Giolito involved in this at all?
    Giolito was projected as an innings eater, which the staff definitely needed.

Deity
    Yeah, but Grissom was and is a prospect, and you said it was about the future, so it's all kind of muddled.
    It all makes a ton of sense when you admit they really had no reason to have faith in Sale. None of us did (except cp). Because every Spting Training since 2020, I’ve said the upcoming season depends heavily on Sale, and 100% of the responses said “you can’t count on Sale.”

If Sale had been pitching, they don’t trade him and don’t sign Giolito…

Deity
    Giolito was projected as an innings eater, which the staff definitely needed.
    Did they need one if Sale was healthy?

Did they need one if Sale was healthy?
    Time to say it again: You can never have enough pitching.

There's not a pitcher in MLB who is guaranteed to get through a whole season healthy and effective.

The more you have the better your chances. Again, it's not complicated stuff.