Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Sale traded to Braves

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Did Chris Sale face a difficult decision to waive his no-trade rights to land in Atlanta?
    Probably not. I think he liked it in Boston but he's getting traded to a better team.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Assuming we're sending $17M to the Braves for Sale, Sox paid him $104.5M for 151 innings pitched the last three years. For a team now concerned about money, we sure have pissed away much. And that's the bottom line. That money wasted would have paid for 3 years of Mookie.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-30-2023 at 04:22 PM.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Seems like Grissom gets on base a lot. But his power and fielding hasn’t been there. Not sure I like this deal.

Sale will probably go 15-3 with a 2.5 ERA just because we traded him

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Sale will probably go 15-3 with a 2.5 ERA just because we traded him
    Better than trading him to the Rays or Jays or Orioles, I guess.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Better than trading him to the Rays or Jays or Orioles, I guess.
    Even though Sale has a good team behind him the big question of course is IF he can stay healthy. Maybe a change of scenery will change his luck. If so good for him, and the Braves will get even better, and could possibly get Sale for 2yrs/ $30M.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Seems like Grissom gets on base a lot. But his power and fielding hasn’t been there. Not sure I like this deal.
    His fielding as a shortstop has been lacking. He always looked like a better option at 2b. But the Braves are all set at that position with one of the best players on the most team friendly contracts in the game. So Grissom has been without a position in their organization for a while now…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    His fielding as a shortstop has been lacking. He always looked like a better option at 2b. But the Braves are all set at that position with one of the best players on the most team friendly contracts in the game. So Grissom has been without a position in their organization for a while now…
    Bad glove, bad arm, or both?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We can never have enough reclamation jobs for you?
    You think a 25yo pitcher with one bad season is a reclamation project?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Bad glove, bad arm, or both?
    Bad range. Fringe arm. He doesn’t cover SS that well. That’s ok. The Sox don’t need him there…

Deity
    Bad range. Fringe arm. He doesn’t cover SS that well. That’s ok. The Sox don’t need him there…
    But will he be an upgrade on D at 2B?

Sounds like a great acquisition. What's his rap sheet like?
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    As a stand alone move it's bullshit for sure. All I've heard for two years now is wait until Yorke is ready. Looks to me as though he should be gone all of a sudden. It is possible that our defense up the middle just got worse.
    I will freely admit that I am a huge fan of Chris Sales. Yesterday and today. When healthy one of my top 3 or 4 to ever pitch in fenway. I will miss him.
    Last edited by cp176; 12-30-2023 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    As a stand alone move it's bullshit for sure. All I've heard for two years now is wait until Yorke is ready. Looks to me as though he should be gone all of a sudden. It is possible that our defense up the middle just got worse.
    I will freely admit that I am a huge fan of Chris Sales. Yesterday and today. When healthy one of my top 3 or 4 to ever pitch in fenway. I will miss him.
    I can see that.

I don’t know of this means they’ve given up on Yorke or this simply doesn’t impact him. Yorke wasn’t likely to debut this year, and might wind up someplace other than 2b (which at one point was the trajectory). He also might be trade bait for a pitcher.

Possible there was enough interest in Yorke that Grissom was a pre-emotive strike?

Or maybe we assume too much, and Grissom will be the player on the move for pitching…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post

From 2016-2018, Sale, after Pedro and Clemens, was the third best SP on the Sox in the past half century. But he simply has not been the same since 2018. Since then he’s been an injury waiting to happen. During an offseason long hunt for SP, almost no one on this forum ever reminded us “we do still have Chris Sale, you know.”