Register now to remove this ad

Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 1,876 to 1,884 of 1884

Thread: Red Sox ownership

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    NN what is your excuse. I doubt you get out on the stump very often. You conveniently left out many different venues, publications, and a lot more, and different people than on here.It doesn’t even have to be a majority that what gets constantly discussed than on here.
    And you seem to ignore that the way baseball gets talked about on here is not unique to this site. Go to any Sox forum on the internet, and there will be some people talking about metrics, etc. Also people talking about farm system and prospects. And absolutely some Old School stat folk.

There simply is not one common set of beliefs any more. For the past 30 years, I have been a loyal subscriber to Baseball Digest, which is definitely old school stuff. But I enjoy it. But I know there are dozens if not hundreds of other publications that delve deeper in to the math and the metrics. While that stuff is all good, true and (presumably) accurate, I don't read them as often. Because Baseball Digest is simply more fun to read...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And you seem to ignore that the way baseball gets talked about on here is not unique to this site. Go to any Sox forum on the internet, and there will be some people talking about metrics, etc. Also people talking about farm system and prospects. And absolutely some Old School stat folk.

There simply is not one common set of beliefs any more. For the past 30 years, I have been a loyal subscriber to Baseball Digest, which is definitely old school stuff. But I enjoy it. But I know there are dozens if not hundreds of other publications that delve deeper in to the math and the metrics. While that stuff is all good, true and (presumably) accurate, I don't read them as often. Because Baseball Digest is simply more fun to read...
    Baseball Digest. damn that brought back some memories. i used to read every issue of that and football digest starting in the early 70's but haven't read either one in probably 30 years. thanks for bringing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    Baseball Digest. damn that brought back some memories. i used to read every issue of that and football digest starting in the early 70's but haven't read either one in probably 30 years. thanks for bringing that up.
    I remember those days, too. Although the data was a week old, it was still worth it.

The Sporting News was another biggie.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I remember those days, too. Although the data was a week old, it was still worth it.

The Sporting News was another biggie.
    Baseball Digest and The Sporting News were both awesome.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Box scores, box scores, box scores! The old Sporting News Paper was great.

both replaced by websites you have to pay for. I liked it where you could look up say ther top 25 hitters in the AL without having to miss a meal or 2 to pay for it

Deity
    Baseball Digest is still good. But it’s no longer that handy pocket-size journal. Full size pages (and not as many of them). It still has the Quick Quiz, which is the most difficult monthly baseball trivia quiz in print. (In 30 years of quick quizzes, my record is 6 out of 10.)

Sporting News for baseball peaked (IMO) in the early 2000’s when they added journeyman RHRP Todd Jones to the staff, and then Jones got an offer to pitch for the Tigers, so he wrote his columns as an active major leaguer. Also, like him or not (and I like him), Ken Rosenthal was still there at the time…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Box scores, box scores, box scores! The old Sporting News Paper was great.
    For box scores, the Globe was king. Only paper I know of in the USA that at one point included NPB box scores from Japan. No idea why…

absolutely. i lived for them, the box scores in the daily newspaper and the Game of the Week.