Register now to remove this ad

Page 117 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1900

Thread: Red Sox ownership

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/mlb/...l-team/619510/

Here's news many Red Sox fans won't want to hear: John Henry has no plans to sell the team.

Some other highlights:

Henry held firm on the club's decision to avoid spending heavily in free agency and suggested the fans hold unrealistic expectations.

"Because fans expect championships almost annually," he said, "they easily become frustrated and are not going to buy into what the odds actually are: one in 20 or one in 30."

He thought the reaction to chairman Tom Werner's comments about going "full throttle" this winter were overblown, but he also seemed to misunderstand fan anger over the state of the big league club.

"(Werner's comments) overshadowed every other word, paragraph and interview of the winter because it reaches so deeply into the false belief that many fans and media have that you should mortgage the future each year for the present," he said. "You have to base acquisitions and dispositions on the future, not the past. That is unpopular generally."

Henry reiterated a point he has made in the past about his reticence to address fan and media concerns directly.

"I don't think people in my position can win publicly -- your words are often used against you -- so the less I say I generally think the better," he said.

World Series odds are NOT 1 in 20 let alone 1 in 30. C'mon man!
    translation: i'm a greedy asshole, i'll do what i want and fuck all you fans.

Henry's right about the less he says the better.

What he really meant was that it would be odd if he signed 1 pitcher over 30 ever again.

He was onto something when he said fans "become easily frustrated and are not going to buy into..." but then he left out fraud, bullshit, inferior product -- and got things all convoluted about the past-present-future...

... because I have personally mortgaged the past -- watching three last place teams in four seasons -- and can no longer invest or digest paying to watch the present.

Yeah, I don't talk much because my words tend to get used against me. But I will say this, fans have unrealistic expectations, think you should win it all every year and want you to spend like there's no tomorrow. Fans are all wrong. I sure hope those words don't get used against me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Henry may not have meant it this way, but he managed to portray the "typical Red Sox fan" as Johnny from Burger King.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Henry may not have meant it this way, but he managed to portray the "typical Red Sox fan" as Johnny from Burger King.
    Like I have said many times when anyone comments on JH past spending habits that he is not the same guy today, and what, and how he did things in the past has NO revelation of what he do today. 11 years ago he was driving around Boston in his car, and heard Felger, and Mazz trashing the Red Sox on the radio, and didn’t like what he heard, so he decided to drive over to the studio to the surprise of everyone to set the record straight. What mostly came out of that conversation was that Larry ran the Red Sox. Can you picture JH doing something like that today? Those days of JH are long gone.

Yup

Deity
    Nice historical Sox reference…

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Like I have said many times when anyone comments on JH past spending habits that he is not the same guy today, and what, and how he did things in the past has NO revelation of what he do today. 11 years ago he was driving around Boston in his car, and heard Felger, and Mazz trashing the Red Sox on the radio, and didn’t like what he heard, so he decided to drive over to the studio to the surprise of everyone to set the record straight. What mostly came out of that conversation was that Larry ran the Red Sox. Can you picture JH doing something like that today? Those days of JH are long gone.
    Yeah, I think a big part of the problem is he doesn't have a guy like Larry who knows something about PR any more.

Plus, John, if you're going to keep your mouth shut, keep your mouth shut. You just went and opened it again, y'know?

Watching Yamamoto pitch vs NYY yesterday makes me even more upset with that cheapskate owner the Sox have

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Henry's right about the less he says the better.

What he really meant was that it would be odd if he signed 1 pitcher over 30 ever again.

He was onto something when he said fans "become easily frustrated and are not going to buy into..." but then he left out fraud, bullshit, inferior product -- and got things all convoluted about the past-present-future...

... because I have personally mortgaged the past -- watching three last place teams in four seasons -- and can no longer invest or digest paying to watch the present.
    so how about signing Yamamoto then. He is well under 30.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nothing surprised me.

The only thing that raised aqn eyebrow was the 1 in 20 and 30 comment.
    I just think he used the number of teams.

It raised no eyebrows with me. The Sox have won 9 World Series of the 120 played. So really if you use history to determine our odds, we’ve won one of every 14 World Series.

What I didn’t like was him telling us fans expect titles every year. We don’t. But we do expect trying every year…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I just think he used the number of teams.

It raised no eyebrows with me. The Sox have won 9 World Series of the 120 played. So really if you use history to determine our odds, we’ve won one of every 14 World Series.

What I didn’t like was him telling us fans expect titles every year. We don’t. But we do expect trying every year…
    It was really stupid of Henry to say anything about a 1 in 30 chance, implying that every team has the same chance regardless of their advantages or disadvantages in wealth and baseball acumen.

Deity
    It was really stupid of Henry to say anything about a 1 in 30 chance, implying that every team has the same chance regardless of their advantages or disadvantages in wealth and baseball acumen.
    Agreed, but that normally benefits the Sox chances. As shown with the recent collection of rings.

Like or dislike his interpretation of odds, he has no business telling me what my expectations as a fan are…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    Watching Yamamoto pitch vs NYY yesterday makes me even more upset with that cheapskate owner the Sox have
    Fuck Yamamoto.

The Sox didn’t even go hard after Imanaga, whose having a better season and whose AAV is in the same neighborhood as Kyle Gibson and Jorge Soler…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Fuck Yamamoto.

The Sox didn’t even go hard after Imanaga, whose having a better season and whose AAV is in the same neighborhood as Kyle Gibson and Jorge Soler…
    i will take Yamamoto any day