Register now to remove this ad

Page 128 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2093

Thread: Craig Breslow hired as Head Of Baseball Operations

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    His error rate was pretty high in his limited innings at SS though, no? 6 in about 18 games.
    Oh no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

His error rate was pretty high in his limited innings at SS though, no? 6 in about 18 games.
    SSS

Minors

42 in 234 games at SS (6 in 21 career ML B)

3 in 50 games at 2B (4 in 44 MLB)

Not great, but not as bad as what we saw in 2023 at 2B (and SS until Story returned.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If the Sox pick up his 14M option after '25, contingent on him pitching less than 140 innings, he will be with the Sox in '26.
    You just won't stop, will you.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

You just won't stop, will you.
    Stop talking about the 14M option the Sox have on Giolito for '26? I'll stop bringing it up when it's no longer relevant to the discussion.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If they offer him what he wants, why not?

Most athletes seem to prioritize as follows:

1. Money
    2. Playing time
    3. Winning

It’s rare to see a player in any sport turn down more money to start on a losing team to take less money to sit on the bench of a contender…
    Yep. The exceptions will be guys who are at the tail end of their careers who have never been on a team that has challenged for a title.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Yep. The exceptions will be guys who are at the tail end of their careers who have never been on a team that has challenged for a title.
    I thought about that. It doesn't apply to Montgomery in multiple ways...

It seems odd that a mere 6 months ago, many were lambasting Bloom for not dealing Sale and his whole contract for nothing, but now that Sale has been dealt for a quality young player with multiple years of control, he’s missed…
    it remains to be seen how "quality" of a player Grissom really is

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Sox View Post
    it remains to be seen how "quality" of a player Grissom really is
    While no names were released, there’s a very good chance Grissom is better than anyone else that was offered for Sale…

While no names were released, there’s a very good chance Grissom is better than anyone else that was offered for Sale…
    I was pretty surprised we got someone as promising and MLB ready as Grissom, but paying most of Sale's remaining contract evened the deal out for ATL. The fact that ATL has a SS and 2Bman made it easier for them to make this offer.

It took awhile for this deal to good, to me, but I like the idea of 5 years of Grissom for one year of Sale on a team destined for another season missing the playoffs. I realize, it didn't need to be this way, but I can't change the fact that it is what it is.

Maybe Grissom fizzle like Jeter Downs. That would really suck, but even if Sale has a good year, it probably wouldn't have mattered. Also, we were never going to extend Sale, so this isn't like losing 3 years of Chris Freakin' Sale.

I was a huge Sale fan. It sucks it ended like this. I have to admit, I got fed up with the annual Sale hope and dream dashing. In what seems like a lost season, it makes sense to get highly promising players for players that are not in our long term plans.

So, this leads me to think, what can we get for Pivetta? Martin? Jansen, when healthy? O'Neill, at the deadline, if healthy? Maybe even something worthwhile for McGuire or Refsnyder and anyone else about to get squeezed by rising propsects.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

So, this leads me to think, what can we get for Pivetta? Martin? Jansen, when healthy? O'Neill, at the deadline, if healthy? Maybe even something worthwhile for McGuire or Refsnyder and anyone else about to get squeezed by rising propsects.

This might be the most intriguing subplot of the season -- who will be traded and when? Obviously, the front office has factors to consider: keep as much talent together as possible early, in deference to fan interest... but also, optimize any and all trade chips while players are healthy and show potential to help contenders. Not dealing Paxton last July after he was Pitcher of the Month -- and before he broke down again (like many predicted) -- is not the way to rebuild...

Breslow can't wait until midnight August 1 to act, thinking he'll get better prospects in some bidding trade war. There will be clubs willing to deal in June to get a jump on competitors.

Over-Under right now is 75 wins -- a 75-87 record would equal 2020's 12-games-under-.500 season... but not its .400 winning percentage; that would closer to 65 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Stop talking about the 14M option the Sox have on Giolito for '26? I'll stop bringing it up when it's no longer relevant to the discussion.
    How ironic would it be if Giolito came back in 2025 pitched well and the Sox retained him in 26' and he pitched better?

I would rather of had one good year and a draft pick.

Even more so, I'd rather have almost a completely different rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Deity
    I was pretty surprised we got someone as promising and MLB ready as Grissom, but paying most of Sale's remaining contract evened the deal out for ATL. The fact that ATL has a SS and 2Bman made it easier for them to make this offer.

It took awhile for this deal to good, to me, but I like the idea of 5 years of Grissom for one year of Sale on a team destined for another season missing the playoffs. I realize, it didn't need to be this way, but I can't change the fact that it is what it is.

Maybe Grissom fizzle like Jeter Downs. That would really suck, but even if Sale has a good year, it probably wouldn't have mattered. Also, we were never going to extend Sale, so this isn't like losing 3 years of Chris Freakin' Sale.

I was a huge Sale fan. It sucks it ended like this. I have to admit, I got fed up with the annual Sale hope and dream dashing. In what seems like a lost season, it makes sense to get highly promising players for players that are not in our long term plans.

I’m sure if he did well, we will be hearing about Sale all year and how he shouldn’t have been traded, just like we did with Eovaldi last year…

Get that Fire Sale sparked up. Yahoo.

Maybe they should extend Pivetta?

I’m sure if he did well, we will be hearing about Sale all year and how he shouldn’t have been traded, just like we did with Eovaldi last year…
    We've all had too many options to gripe about the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    This might be the most intriguing subplot of the season -- who will be traded and when? Obviously, the front office has factors to consider: keep as much talent together as possible early, in deference to fan interest... but also, optimize any and all trade chips while players are healthy and show potential to help contenders. Not dealing Paxton last July after he was Pitcher of the Month -- and before he broke down again (like many predicted) -- is not the way to rebuild...

Breslow can't wait until midnight August 1 to act, thinking he'll get better prospects in some bidding trade war. There will be clubs willing to deal in June to get a jump on competitors.

Over-Under right now is 75 wins -- a 75-87 record would equal 2020's 12-games-under-.500 season... but not its .400 winning percentage; that would closer to 65 wins.
    Not trading Paxton was really DUMB.

The only guys I'd look to trade early on would be O'Neillll, Martin and Jansen. I think you need Pivetta for the innings and if he's pitching well you extend him for 2 more years.
    I get MV Pee.