3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Torres 2B
    5. Verdugo RF
    6. Stanton DH
    7. Volpe SS
    8. Lemahieu/Peraza 3B
    9. Trevino/Wells C

That is a much improved lineup for sure
    If you guys could get a legit leadoff hitter with a .380+ OBP, batting Soto & Judge 2-3 would be lethal.

(Torres came closest, last year, at .347.)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Why not?
    As of the Soto acquisition, he is a $9mill fourth outfielder. Even the Yankees don’t want the sat level of financial burden.

Unless they think playing the annually fragile Judge in the more demanding CF position, which is made unnecessary with the acquisition of the defensively gifted Trent Grisham.

They’ll move Verdugo in the near future…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    As of the Soto acquisition, he is a $9mill fourth outfielder. Even the Yankees don’t want the sat level of financial burden.

Unless they think playing the annually fragile Judge in the more demanding CF position, which is made unnecessary with the acquisition of the defensively gifted Trent Grisham.

I think they put Judge in CF, and Grisham is the #4. If Grish batted RH'd, I'd platoon Dugo with him.

But the Soto trade was in the works when they traded for Verdugo.

What was the point of the trade for Verdugo?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But the Soto trade was in the works when they traded for Verdugo.

What was the point of the trade for Verdugo?
    Got me. Send a message to SD that they can and will move on? Verdugo was Plan B?

Or maybe Grisham wasn’t in the Soto deal ye.

But if they bench Grisham and Jusge injures himself playing CF, they should fire Boone for putting him out there, fire Cashman for making it possible, and fire both their replacements just because…

Got me. Send a message to SD that they can and will move on? Verdugo was Plan B?

Or maybe Grisham wasn’t in the Soto deal ye.

But if they bench Grisham and Jusge injures himself playing CF, they should fire Boone for putting him out there, fire Cashman for making it possible, and fire both their replacements just because…
    We'll see what shakes out. But I think Verdugo will be in pinstripes. $9 mill actually isn't that much for a 2 WAR player.

Deity
    I think they put Judge in CF, and Grisham is the #4. If Grish batted RH'd, I'd platoon Dugo with him.
    And that would be stupid.

Why are they taking that kind of defensive hit and exposing Judge to more physical risk? To get Alex Verdugo into the lineup? When did Dugo morph into Tony Gwynn?

And that would be stupid.

Why are they taking that kind of defensive hit and exposing Judge to more physical risk? To get Alex Verdugo into the lineup? When did Dugo morph into Tony Gwynn?
    Does CF have spikes in it, or what?

Judge could hurt himself crashing into the short RF wall, just as easily as stepping on a CF spike.

Deity
    Does CF have spikes in it, or what?

Judge could hurt himself crashing into the short RF wall, just as easily as stepping on a CF spike.
    Center field does involve covering more ground. It’s more physically demanding than the corner spots. The Yankees could have played Judge in CF in the past but rarely did, and it wasn’t because they loved the hitting potential of Aaron Hicks and Harrison Bader…

Deity
    We'll see what shakes out. But I think Verdugo will be in pinstripes. $9 mill actually isn't that much for a 2 WAR player.

Apparently the consensus is the Yankees are going to rearrange to an inferior defense in order to get Verdugo’s 105 OPS+ into the lineup instead of Grisham’s 95 OPS+. And think it is a strangely obvious decision…
    Last edited by notin; 12-08-2023 at 08:41 AM.

Apparently the consensus is the Yankees are going to rearrange to an inferior defense in order to get Verdugo’s 105 OPS+ into the lineup instead of Grisham’s 95 OPS+. And think it is a strangely obvious decision…
    Maybe it's insurance policies for both Judge and Stanton.

The important thing is, now one of us gets to say "I told you so."

Center field does involve covering more ground. It’s more physically demanding than the corner spots. The Yankees could have played Judge in CF in the past but rarely did, and it wasn’t because they loved the hitting potential of Aaron Hicks and Harrison Bader…
    I realize CF is more demanding, especially in Yankee Stadium, but it's not a minefield.

Deity
    Maybe it's insurance policies for both Judge and Stanton.

The important thing is, now one of us gets to say "I told you so."
    And if they start Judge in CF and he gets injured (which he will) or if the deal Verdugo between now and April, I can do the same.

The only way you get to do it if if the Yankees make the stupid move of downgrading their defense for a slight improvement defensively. You’re gloat is easily countered with “I thought the Yankees were smarter than that.”

Deity
    I realize CF is more demanding, especially in Yankee Stadium, but it's not a minefield.
    So it’s worth any risk on Judge, not likely to get healthier as he ages, for the modest offensive improvement Verdugo brings over Grisham?

So it’s worth any risk on Judge, not likely to get healthier as he ages, for the modest offensive improvement Verdugo brings over Grisham?
    There will likely be some shuffling, not matter where each player plays the most.

I've always felt Dugo should be platooned, so maybe Dugo plays the bigger corner OF slot vs RHPs, only, and although Grisham bats LH'd, too, play him vs LHPs, so Judge can play RF some of the time.

Maybe, they do trade Dugo, but if they don't, I think they try to play him vs all RHPs.