Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2023-2024 offseason

What we missed after Cole was someone who could pitch well and do so for 20+ starts. I know Stroman had some hip and rib issues last year, but he’s generally been a durable starter. Plus, he keeps the ball in the yard, which is magnified in YS.

All in all, with who was out there, the only guy I’d go bonkers for was Yama. Once he went off the board, the trade market was littered with questionmarks (Cease, Bieber and Burns coming off rough seasons) and the other top FAs had consistency issues (JMont and Snell). Stroman isn’t winning a CY, but I bet he can be a 28-30 start, 165IP sub or at 4ERA starter. I’d put him after Cole in the rotation and allow Cortes and Rodon to have the heat taken off them. It’s a good add and probably the best one for the price and for what we needed

Plus the New York media will love Stromans twitter personality where he often causes drama by liking controversial tweets in the middle of the season, such as “we should eradicate white people” or “the holocaust isn’t real slavery.”

Never said he wasn't a total idiot. We just need him to take the mound
    Hal sucks

Seeing rumors of the Yanks being the top landing spot for Hader.
    Hal sucks

As of right now, the Yanks offense is much more balanced.

With that said, I would not have Soto protecting Judge. I would have it the other way around. Soto's career OBP is .421. I would start the lineup like this

1. Soto LF
    2. Judge CF
    3. Rizzo 1B
    4. Torres 2B
    5. Verdugo RF
    6. Lemahieu/Peraza 3B
    7. Stanton DH
    8. Wells/Trevino C
    9. Volpe SS

If Volpe takes the next step, then he can move up. Should Dominguez return to the bigs as expected, he can push on either Verdugo or Stanton should they not be hitting well. Having Grisham as a late inning replacement for Verdugo, moving Judge back to RF makes us deeper. Either way, this offense makes more contact, gets on base more and just added lefty power in a stadium that caters to it.

SP1. Cole
    SP2. Rodon
    SP3. Stroman
    SP4. Cortes
    SP5. Schmidt

If Rodon and Cortes are healthy (big if on the former) then this rotation rocks. Schmidt had a big innings jump last year and faded at the end, but his stuff is nasty. He could move up the pecking order if he has a second year bounce. Stroman's add should help even out a rotation that saw no consistency last year beyond Cole and Schmidt.

CP: Holmes
    SU: Loaisiga
    SU: Kahnle
    MR: Effross
    MR: Hamilton
    MR: Marinaccio
    MR: Poteet
    LR: Gomez

The Yanks still have a slew of AAA guys ready to step in, but the depth was hit with the Soto trade. Without Peralta, this is VERY RH dominant with the only lefty being a guy who pitches to contact in Ramirez. Relying on Kahnle is a fools errand as he hasnt been able to stay healthy since he had TJS 3 years ago. I love Holmes in this pen, but he may be best suited as a SU guy. Loaisiga is a beast. Effross returning helps. But I think the Yanks need to add a high end closer, which is why it was puzzling they let Hicks go to SF for such a reasonable deal. Rumor has it the Yanks are in on Hader, and he would fit perfectly into this VERY RH dominant pen.

All in all, the Yanks aren't done yet. It would not surprise me to see them make another deal for a pitcher or upgrade their offense in some way. Should they sign another starter, Schmidt could be a very enticing headliner of a trade package. But this team is deeper, more balanced and more durable than last year. The Yanks kept their position player prospects in place for either a deal later or to spell injuries. They are unusually thin in the pen right now.
    Hal sucks

Hal has definitely loosened up the purse strings.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

He didn’t have a choice. The luster of a WS victory 15 years ago has long since faded. He’s got the best offensive player and the best pitcher in baseball and they’re in window. You go for it

Your big issue will be injuries, as always.

35 LeMahieu
    34 Stanton, Rizzo, Kahnle
    33 Cole
    31 Judge, Rodon, Trevino

Judge: since 2018, Judge has played over 112 games in just 2 of 6 seasons (2020: 28 out of 60.) His 3 worst seasons:
    2020: 32/60 games missed
    2019: 60/162 missed
    2023: 56/162 missed

Rodon: After starting 28 games in 2016, he's been a mess.
    GS/Possible GS
    12/32 in '17
    20/32 '18
    7/32 '19
    2/12 '20
    24/32 '21
    31/32 '22 (a pretty nice 2 year stretch of 55/64)
    14/32 '23
    Total: 110/204 (7 yrs)

Stanton played 2 full seasons in '17 and '18, but only played more than 110 gmes, once since then (139 in '21)
    18/162 in '19
    23/60 '20
    139/162 '21
    110/162 '22
    101/162 '23
    Total: 391/708 (5 yrs)

These three guys are pretty big keys to Yankee success.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Stanton less so
    Judge absolutely
    Rodon will depend on the health of those around him. If Cortes and Stroman aren't healthy and Rodon is hurt, then I agree. If we get 4/5 of our rotation healthy and Rodon is in and out, we can survive
    Hal sucks

I also think Judge has shed he "easily injured" tag associated with Stanton. He and Stanton were regulars on the IL for soft tissue injured 2020 and before. 21 and 22 he was VERY healthy and VERY good. Last year he ran into a fence, which falls into the shit happens category.

Stanton will get hurt if you look at him the wrong way. Last year, he just never looked healthy. He is best served as the RH platoon partner for Verdugo and get some extra miles for him. He shouldnt be a FT player. Same can be said of Lemahieu. The guy finished 2023 well, but he is someone they should be subbing in and out with Peraza. If we see him play every day, he will break down or fade
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I also think Judge has shed he "easily injured" tag associated with Stanton. He and Stanton were regulars on the IL for soft tissue injured 2020 and before. 21 and 22 he was VERY healthy and VERY good. Last year he ran into a fence, which falls into the shit happens category.

Stanton will get hurt if you look at him the wrong way. Last year, he just never looked healthy. He is best served as the RH platoon partner for Verdugo and get some extra miles for him. He shouldnt be a FT player. Same can be said of Lemahieu. The guy finished 2023 well, but he is someone they should be subbing in and out with Peraza. If we see him play every day, he will break down or fade
    You refuse to see the facts.

Last winter, you defended Rodon.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post

Judge played 106 games last year. He’s only topped 112 games twice since 2017. And he’s in his 30s now, when most players start to break down. Also, he’s going to play a more physically demanding position this year.

He’ll have the occasional healthy season. Maybe in 5 years when Stanton is finally put to sleep and Aaron can DH. Until then, we’ll, enjoy Juan Soto this year…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Judge played 106 games last year. He’s only topped 112 games twice since 2017. And he’s in his 30s now, when most players start to break down. Also, he’s going to play a more physically demanding position this year.

He’ll have the occasional healthy season. Maybe in 5 years when Stanton is finally put to sleep and Aaron can DH. Until then, we’ll, enjoy Juan Soto this year…
    One thing we can count on is that Soto will enjoy hitting against the Sox this year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    One thing we can count on is that Soto will enjoy hitting against the Sox this year.
    Soto enjoys hitting against everybody…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Soto enjoys hitting against everybody…
    True, but we're in the same division and we have a rotation made up of mediocre RH pitchers, so we have a good chance of being a special favorite.