Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB postseason thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Good management , stewardship and supervision is vital to the success of any business. Poor management can do much harm. It makes no sense to think that the results would be no different regardless of who is in charge.
    Point?

It also makes no sense to assume any change will be beneficial…

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

The kicker, to me, was the report that DD nearly traded Betts and Price to LAD in the summer of 2019. Man, how that would have changed the whole narrative!!!
    For two more months of stretch-run Betts, Dombro could have demanded what Bloom could not: a legitimate starting pitching prospect!

But don't know how much narrative it would change in Boston -- all LA's young pitchers get hurt every single year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Point?

It also makes no sense to assume any change will be beneficial…
    It also makes no sense to assume it won’t. One on here has gone on, and on for two years now theorizing that, because Bloom failed under the conditions he was handed, and had to work with that no one else could have succeeded either especially DD. Like Bloom who was in over his head from day 1 was the standard to go by. Just because Bloom failed in no means mean that everyone else would too especially someone who’s experienced like DD.

Deity
    I can hear the chant now from Bloom’s biggest supporter. Chaim Bloom he’s my man if he can’t do it no one can!

When people say, player A K's too much, and I say, "I don't care of the guy K's 350 times, if he has an OPS of .800+," I'm thinking of Kyle Schwarber.

Man-O-Man this guy can really crush it!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    It also makes no sense to assume it won’t. One on here has gone on, and on for two years now theorizing that, because Bloom failed under the conditions he was handed, and had to work with that no one else could have succeeded either especially DD. Like Bloom who was in over his head from day 1 was the standard to go by. Just because Bloom failed in no means mean that everyone else would too especially someone who’s experienced like DD.
    First of all, simply assuming changes will be beneficial is advocating for change for the sake of change.

So what do you think DD would have done? I’ve asked you many times he would have gotten out of the mess, and you have repeatedly ducked the question. Bear in mind, I’m not asking what he would have done; I’m just asking what you think he would have done. It’s not an unanswerable question. On the contrary, it’s an opinion. (Not a theory, if that helps you.). And please don’t say it adds no value to the discussion. It’s an internet forum. That’s all we do. Nothing you have said in any post has added value. Same goes for me. And everyone else. Except maybe mvp. Maybe.

And certainly anyone who could spy on Day One Bloom would not work out and has repeatedly defended Dombrowski must have some sense of how he would have handled the aftermath of 2019. If you’re familiar with his history, use it. What would he have done?

Bear in mind any counterarguments are just as unprovable and indefensible.

Except one - the simple question “then why was he fired?”
    Last edited by notin; 10-17-2023 at 11:18 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    First of all, simply assuming changes will be beneficial is advocating for change for the sake of change.

So what do you think DD would have done? I’ve asked you many times he would have gotten out of the mess, and you have repeatedly ducked the question. Bear in mind, I’m not asking what he would have done; I’m just asking what you think he would have done. It’s not an unanswerable question. On the contrary, it’s an opinion. (Not a theory, if that helps you.). And please don’t say it adds no value to the discussion. It’s an internet forum. That’s all we do. Nothing you have said in any post has added value. Same goes for me. And everyone else. Except maybe mvp. Maybe.

And certainly anyone who could spy on Day One Bloom would not work out and has repeatedly defended Dombrowski must have some sense of how he would have handled the aftermath of 2019. If you’re familiar with his history, use it. What would he have done?

Bear in mind any counterarguments are just as unprovable and indefensible.

Except one - the simple question “then why was he fired?”
    Do you think Bloom was fired just for the sake of change?
    I have no idea what DD would have done, or even Theo for that matter. The word out there was that DD was in trade discussions with the Dodgers during the 2019 about Mookie, so I have no doubt DD would have traded Mookie after the 2019 season. What he would have gotten back in either scenario I don’t know. Yes I said on Day 1 that Bloom was a bad hire, but I also said on day 1 that i wouldn’t have signed Price for that big contract, and I said on day 1 that i wouldn’t have resigned Sale, so I haven’t always defended DD. The main point all along is that I don’t agree with the theory, and concept that just because Bloom was a failure in Boston that not everyone else would have been a failure too in the same situations including DD. Bloom is not even in the same league as DD who has had a long, and distinguished career, and Bloom has a short, and losing career as a front man. DD was fired, because he had a falling out with JH, which I take was over the philosophy of going forward after three years of first place finishes, and a WS title, so JH wasn’t careful what he wished for, and ended up with Gloom, and Doom Bloom. If you ask DD he doesn’t know why he was fired, but we all know why Bloom got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Do you think Bloom was fired just for the sake of change?
    I have no idea what DD would have done, or even Theo for that matter. The word out there was that DD was in trade discussions with the Dodgers during the 2019 about Mookie, so I have no doubt DD would have traded Mookie after the 2019 season. What he would have gotten back in either scenario I don’t know. Yes I said on Day 1 that Bloom was a bad hire, but I also said on day 1 that i wouldn’t have signed Price for that big contract, and I said on day 1 that i wouldn’t have resigned Sale, so I haven’t always defended DD. The main point all along is that I don’t agree with the theory, and concept that just because Bloom was a failure in Boston that not everyone else would have been a failure too in the same situations including DD. Bloom is not even in the same league as DD who has had a long, and distinguished career, and Bloom has a short, and losing career as a front man. DD was fired, because he had a falling out with JH, which I take was over the philosophy of going forward after three years of first place finishes, and a WS title, so JH wasn’t careful what he wished for, and ended up with Gloom, and Doom Bloom. If you ask DD he doesn’t know why he was fired, but we all know why Bloom got fired.
    Honestly, it's not clear exactly why either DD or Bloom were fired, because as has been said a zillion times, they both seemed to be doing exactly what they were hired to do. Yes Bloom's W-L record the last 2 years had to do with it, but if Henry was so keen on winning why didn't he spend a bit more?

The only thing we know is that the same guy fired them both, the same guy who has canned 3 CBO's in a row after 4 years, the same guy who's mostly responsible for all these stories about people being leery of the Sox CBO job.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Ha ha! Even on the post-season thread no one gives a crap about the playoffs!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Ha ha! Even on the post-season thread no one gives a crap about the playoffs!
    There are a few posts about the games.

Unrealistic Postseason thread:

Phillies' eight regulars in eight playoff games: 34 extra-base hits, 31 singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Honestly, it's not clear exactly why either DD or Bloom were fired, because as has been said a zillion times, they both seemed to be doing exactly what they were hired to do. Yes Bloom's W-L record the last 2 years had to do with it, but if Henry was so keen on winning why didn't he spend a bit more?

The only thing we know is that the same guy fired them both, the same guy who has canned 3 CBO's in a row after 4 years, the same guy who's mostly responsible for all these stories about people being leery of the Sox CBO job.
    ...and the same guy who had a big hand in establishing a system that produced 4 rings in 2 decades.

This is not the first time JH has pulled in the purse strings while seemingly dictating a couple GMs to hoard prospects and trade stars away. It's been sort of cyclical.

I have no idea if the past history of cycling back up to spending large and allowing some top prospects to be traded away will happen anytime soon, or even ever happen again. I won't be surprised if the switch is flicked this winter or next, but who knows? We do know this has been one long down cycle, despite 2021. Once could argue there was a pretty long one a decade ago, despite the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Unrealistic Postseason thread:

Phillies' eight regulars in eight playoff games: 34 extra-base hits, 31 singles.
    What a way and time to all heat up, at once!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ...and the same guy who had a big hand in establishing a system that produced 4 rings in 2 decades.

This is not the first time JH has pulled in the purse strings while seemingly dictating a couple GMs to hoard prospects and trade stars away. It's been sort of cyclical.
    The thing is, JH's cycling or whatever it is is starting to look more like dysfunction, what with all the last place finishes and fired CBOs...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

I think both were fired for not being Epstein.

Ever since the break up, Henry has been hiring CBOs based on their Epsteinability. He misses the winning record. He misses the burgeoning farm. He misses that little look Theo gave him over his shoulder. You know the one.

And so far - faint copies. Henry will never admit he misses Theo. That the break up did no one any good. But it’s obvious Henry misses him dearly and that his torch still burns. After all, he still wears the ring Theo gave him. In 2004.

And also the one from 2007…